Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

FFG bring N1-Starfighter to X-Wing.

while I'm not a fan of the prequel asceticism. I feel the same with Star Trek: Enterprise. Prequels that look considerable better than stuff that comes later in the universe timeline.

Now that does not mean that I cannot see the N1 in game but I would see it as small fast and agile 2/3/1/2 Boost, Focus, BR Rockets, Astro, Ept dial similar to TIE/in or TIE/adv prototype. cost it so that you can get all 4 pilots (all unique) into 100 pts with partial upgrades.

Disney made it a pre-Yavin ship, where original canon (the one used by FFG when releasing the A-wing expansion, BTW) had it being a new ship from around Endor battle, when the Rebellion had other assets to builds ships. And I'm talking about the stock A-wing, not the R22-A Spearhead.

Difference, in time of war, of a few years, can be huge (that and the fact that A-wing pilots in Rebels are the equivalent of Star Trek's red shirts :P).

I don't actually remember anything in ROTJ commenting that A-Wings were brand new. Disney retconned how it's creation came about. Going purely on the movies, they've not spoiled anything - I don't think the A-Wing even got a name...

We got plenty of books with lore for the ships from the original movies. Which Diney just decided to ignore (and at some point, put a superlaser one-shoting cruisers on one of those).

Edited by Giledhil

I like the x-wing to take place in the galactic civil war era, if they want to add a bunch of prequal ships why not go all out?

Gives us droid ships and all the goods from those movies and series instead of just putting in something for recognition or references...hmm maybe that is actually perfect for prequal ships when u think about it.  

Prequels that look considerable better than stuff that comes later in the universe timeline.

TL;DR: That's because the craft we see are products of their time.

I don't actually remember anything in ROTJ commenting that A-Wings were brand new. Disney retconned how it's creation came about. Going purely on the movies, they've not spoiled anything - I don't think the A-Wing even got a name...

There's nothing in the film, but if they aren't brand new then you have to explain why there were no A- or B-wings on Yavin. The old explanation of their being new models was the simplest approach.

(Although even the old canon didn't adhere to that 100% - you can claim the ones in Droids were R-22 Spearheads, but that won't fly for the ships in X-wing the computer game.)

There's nothing in the film, but if they aren't brand new then you have to explain why there were no A- or B-wings on Yavin. The old explanation of their being new models was the simplest approach.

(Although even the old canon didn't adhere to that 100% - you can claim the ones in Droids were R-22 Spearheads, but that won't fly for the ships in X-wing the computer game.)

They've already explained that: The rebellion isn't a monolithic organization, it's a group of loosely organized independent cells. One of the cells has A-Wings and B-Wings. The cell on Yavin has Y-Wings and X-Wings. Another cell might have Z-95s and ARC-170s. Who knows what a fourth cell might have - they might be more criminal and less ideologically-driven and be driving Hutt and Mando ships. 

Edited by Vigil

They've already explained that: The rebellion isn't a monolithic organization, it's a group of loosely organized independent cells. One of the cells has A-Wings and B-Wings. The cell on Yavin has Y-Wings and X-Wings. Another cell might have Z-95s and ARC-170s. Who knows what a fourth cell might have - they might be more criminal and less ideologically-driven and be driving Hutt and Mando ships. 

Exactly what I was gonna say - they simply didn't have A-Wings or B-Wings. The rebel fleet wasn't there either.

And they wouldn't use A-Wings for the trench run even if they did have them - they'd be off fighting the fighters (which I think was in the game Rebel Assault)

Not to mention that - at least in the old canon - most "A-Wings" you saw were actually the direct predecessors, the R-22 Spearhead. For all intents and purposes, a prototype - much like the ones we see in Rebels.

While I would prefer FFG reaches to other sources before it pulls in more ships which are aligned with the prequel films, with how few Rebel options there are, it's probably inevitable they eventually grab the Naboo fighter. :/

All I can ask now is that FFG treats the Naboo fighter the same way it did the ARC. Get rid of the banana color scheme and make it look like its seen some wear and tear and is fully, 100% a REBEL refitted ship. That bright yellow would just stick out in an awful way compared to the rest of the faction in my opinion.

But with the Ghost, and now the Shadowcaster, they seem to have no problem slowly creeping the color palette to brighter schemes, which in my opinion takes away from the Star Wars feel of the game... sigh...

1- The shape of the N1 is the result of it being hand-built, not a result of it being more advanced than the starfighters of the original trilogy. In fact, you'll note that all Naboo starships share the same design aesthetic - because they're all hand built. Part of the purpose of the prequels is to show the galaxy going from a mythical age of peace and prosperity, where everything is hand built by dwarves and elves to an age riven by war and driven by machines building machines (how perverse!). 

2- If you're going to argue that the N1 is a Hawker Hurricane and the Z-95 is an F-4 Phantom II (personally, I suspect the Z-95 would be more akin to an F-5 and the ARC is more akin to the F-4, but whatever), then that makes the T-65 an F-15A, the T-70 an F-15C, and the TIE/fo and TIE/sf a PAK FA. While I don't doubt that a highly skilled pilot in an F-15C could do fairly well against poorly-trained pilots in PAK FAs, I doubt that a ragtag bunch of volunteers flying F-15Cs would fair well against highly-trained PAK FA counterparts. 

IOW, technology does not advance as fast in Star Wars as it does in real life. 

3- The N1 is in service, in canon, at the beginning of the Clone Wars. Naboo never seems to have directly suffered during the Clone Wars - despite having their native son Palpatine and their native daughter Amidala get kidnapped on occasion - and thus there is no evidence to suggest that the N1 was somehow unsuitable for military service by the end of the Clone Wars. The N1 is also seen, in canon, picking fights with TIE/lns and holding its own. It's possible that Naboo's military may have replaced the Trade Federation occupation-era N1s with upgraded models, perhaps N1A1s or N1E1s, models that appear to be identical on the outside, but have upgraded engines, shields, and armaments. It is further possible that under the Empire, the Royal Naboo Security Forces completely replaced their N1s (all variants) with Imperial design craft or - more likely - with linear descendants of the N1, still handmade. 

Thus we might see rebel field-upgraded N1s in yellow and chrome (although I would prefer to see the chrome scrubbed - it's a symbol of Naboo royalty. Which is fitting for Leia, but not as far as she's aware and not for general use by the rebellion, maybe put the ships in grey with yellow, tying the livery in with both more common rebel ships and the ship's origins as warships of the Naboo) and Imperial N2s (or N3s) - repaints of the N1 - in red and chrome (it doesn't get any more royal than the Emperor, so the chrome stays - and ties the ship in with the ship's Naboo origins, while the red ties it in with other elite Imperial starfighters and the Emperor himself). If the ARC is bereft of generic pilots, I would then also limit both rebel and Imperial Naboo fighters to four named pilots. 

Well, when Leia flew an N-1 in canon she was on Naboo and borrowed one of the Queen's personal fighters. With the current Queen flying another one. So it makes perfect sense to use the standard chrome for the miniature when it comes (and it will come).

But with the Ghost, and now the Shadowcaster, they seem to have no problem slowly creeping the color palette to brighter schemes, which in my opinion takes away from the Star Wars feel of the game... sigh...

???

prototype-pilot.pngarvel-crynyd.png

imperialaces.jpg

Uh... Those aren't really what I would consider "bright", but sure. You got me.

I mean, maybe that red is bright, but it sure isn't yellow.

Edited by Kdubb

???

imperialaces.jpg

I'm not trying to "get you". I'm just pointing out there are some pretty bright and colorful X-Wing ships since relatively early in the game. I'd certainly consider the red Interceptor more brightly colored than the Ghost or Shadow Caster. 

And that's not even getting into ships that don't have official models like Kath Skarlet's peppermint candy cane Firespray. 

Edited by WingedSpider

I don't think they've confirmed that the A-Wings in Rebels are RZ1-A Interceptors. I'm pretty sure they're either R-22 Spearheads or some sort of prototype A-Wing the way the red B-Wing is prototype called the Blade Wing. 

That said, the base on Yavin IV is the main Rebel force in A New Hope, and after Ezra, Kanan, Hera and the gang start dealing with Fulcrum in person I'm pretty sure they're with a significant portion of the Alliance from then on. Independent cells are still facets of the Rebellion but they're starting to grow more organised and united. 

As far as the N-1 goes, I have mixed feelings. I don't mind more content for the game, I really don't. I just don't know what the N-1 can bring to the game, within the parameters of game function, that hasn't been done yet. 

I stand by my comparison betwixt the N-1 and the Z-95. Their method of manufacture doesn't change the end result of similarity within the confines of the X-Wing ruleset.

The main issue I see with the N-1 is that in-universe, it doesn't really have an interesting gimmick. Even the elegant design and bright colors amount to nothing more than a visual representation of Naboo's lack of a practical military. That's not exactly something that makes you excited to fly an N-1. 

Edited by WingedSpider

???

imperialaces.jpg

Did someone say YELLOW?

Y-wing.png

Did someone say YELLOW?

Y-wing.png

Ya but the N-1 is YELLOOOOWWWW. This Y-wing has a touch of the color, but the primary grey cuts in to the brightness of the yellow so it doesn't come off even remotely overwhelming. You look at it and you know that yellow is paint. Same with the A-wing colors, x-wing, etc. The N-1 on the other hand looks like it was made out of some radioactive yellow synthetic material that could transform at any second.

Even for the red imperial ships, having the black panelings and touches of grey areas does a lot to cut the sharpness of the color. But even if it was just red red red, similar to how the new Force Awakens Ties are black black black, that sticks to the idea of the Imperials being a military power house where they run these things off the line like clockwork. It also makes sense for them to give their top pilots a distinguishable ship to make their peers envious and their opponents afraid.

The Rebels on the other hand, have to re-use ships that have seen plenty of battles, and can't afford to pump out another ship any time one gets dinged up. A "more shiny than seems possible" yellow N-1 would just feel wrong with the Rebels without some dings and a muted coloring. That "Ooh shiny!" type of treatment should be reserved for one-offs like Poe's X-wing.

And WingedSpider sorry for the snippy-ness. You're right, the interceptor is probably brighter than the Ghost and Shadow Caster. I can't put my finger on what my issue is with their colors though, but "bright" is the wrong interpretation. Maybe it's the pastel type coloring? I don't know. They certainly have a cartoony quality to them or something that is putting me off. And I'm a moderate fan of Rebels , so it's not just hate for the cartoon that is turning me off.

Edited by Kdubb

So, which N-1 are we talking about? 

Rogue Squadron 1 Cheat Code: That thing was insane.  It could stop and turn on a dime, and could even keep up with TIE-Droids.  TIE-Interceptor mini-bosses were still a pain, though.  Could definitely see it as a 4 Evade Dice ship.  

Battle for Naboo: Nope.  Don't know what the Rebels did to upgrade it, but the base N-1 is nowhere near.  If you see anything with guns coming your way, best thing to do is aileron 180 degrees and pull up hard.  Keep your ship perpendicular to anything that shoots.  Otherwise you'll be sliced to ribbons.  Just like in the movie.   

The main issue I see with the N-1 is that in-universe, it doesn't really have an interesting gimmick. Even the elegant design and bright colors amount to nothing more than a visual representation of Naboo's lack of a practical military. That's not exactly something that makes you excited to fly an N-1. 

The N-1 is the starfighter equivalent of a Bugatti Veyron SS. If you don't want to drive that... then there's something wrong with you. 

The N-1 is the starfighter equivalent of a Bugatti Veyron SS. If you don't want to drive that... then there's something wrong with you. 

Literally, lol. 

pic_045_clean_790.jpg

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Specifications.

• P-51 Cadillac of the Skies!!!

• bugatti veyron custom coloring

Edited by gabe69velasquez

So, which N-1 are we talking about? 

Rogue Squadron 1 Cheat Code: That thing was insane.  It could stop and turn on a dime, and could even keep up with TIE-Droids.  TIE-Interceptor mini-bosses were still a pain, though.  Could definitely see it as a 4 Evade Dice ship.  

Battle for Naboo: Nope.  Don't know what the Rebels did to upgrade it, but the base N-1 is nowhere near.  If you see anything with guns coming your way, best thing to do is aileron 180 degrees and pull up hard.  Keep your ship perpendicular to anything that shoots.  Otherwise you'll be sliced to ribbons.  Just like in the movie.

Yeah, that Battle for Naboo assessment is pretty spot on. I have fond memories of that one though. It was my first Star Wars video game.

I think the N-1 could work. I like the idea of it being a cheap torpedo carrier not unlike the Z.

Based on its looks and just because it's fun, make it super fast but only in a straight line. 2-5 straight, 2-4 green. 2 and 3 banks, but only the 3 is green. 2 and 3 hard, but they're red. And throw in a 5k. This ship does not go slow or turn well. For actions, focus/target lock/evade/barrel roll. Spinning is a good trick. 2/2/3/1 statline. It's dodgier than a Z with the evade, but not as much as the A. Astromech and torp rounds it out.

With the dial, R2 is a great addition. Targeting Astromech might be a good idea, too. As for pilots, Leia, Shara, and that queen lady. Dunno about the rest.