Sign in to follow this  
slowreflex

Close-Ups of Wave 9 from Yavin

One thing I do like about the ARC is the lack of Generic Pilots. It's FFG saying 'guys, don't worry, this is a one off'. That, and the old 'clone wars' paint job has been scrubbed off and replaced with Alliance markings.

So hopefully no flipping N1s

Safest way to prevent a repeat of Jumpmasters...

But the real reason is that ARC 170 is rare ship and not given to regular pilots, only elite personnel have access to it. Edited by Zazaa

or, if seismic torps are any good (they're not shaping up to be normal torps as apparently they're fired on ACTION:), drop Shara down to Stay on Target, Targeting Astro and Hera [33] and give Norra bb-8 [38] leaving 3 points after biggs to hopefully put the torp on someone

I'm fairly certain that Seismic Torpedoes are for destroying obstacles. The end of the article states that this wave has "upgrades and ordnance that literally change the shape of the battlefield", a clear reference to the Shadow Caster's droppable debris and the Seismic Torpedo as it is the only ordnance in the wave.

the arc in the prequel was def designed to try (and fail) to evoke OT nostalgia

the arc in x-wing miniatures seems resplendent in its utterly goofy glory and it will find a home aside the illustrious K-wing

really want to see the rest of the arc cards so I can safely fantasize about flying at least 3

so far the two named pilots and biggs make for a list I already want to play

Curious to see what you came up with! Here's my stab at it:

Norra Wexley (38) - ARC-170

Veteran Instincts (1), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), BB-8 (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Seismic Charges (2)

Shara Bey (37) - ARC-170

Predator (3), Weapons Engineer (3), R7-T1 (3), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25) - X-Wing

Could probably shave off a point from Shara to put R4-D6 on Biggs. Maybe R7 instead of R7-T1?

I have the sabine combo on Shara [37] and PTL c3po r5-x3 on Norra (wish bb-8 was not unique :() [36] leaving room for r4-d6 IA Biggs and a 1 point bid [ruins ps 8 palp aces with sabine]

or, if seismic torps are any good (they're not shaping up to be normal torps as apparently they're fired on ACTION:), drop Shara down to Stay on Target, Targeting Astro and Hera [33] and give Norra bb-8 [38] leaving 3 points after biggs to hopefully put the torp on someone

Nice! Agreed, BB-8 on both would be incredible.

By the way, would it be presumptuous to call these lists "Biggs walks the Moms?"

the connotation is slightly disturbing :unsure:

the arc in the prequel was def designed to try (and fail) to evoke OT nostalgia

the arc in x-wing miniatures seems resplendent in its utterly goofy glory and it will find a home aside the illustrious K-wing

really want to see the rest of the arc cards so I can safely fantasize about flying at least 3

so far the two named pilots and biggs make for a list I already want to play

Curious to see what you came up with! Here's my stab at it:

Norra Wexley (38) - ARC-170

Veteran Instincts (1), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), BB-8 (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Seismic Charges (2)

Shara Bey (37) - ARC-170

Predator (3), Weapons Engineer (3), R7-T1 (3), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25) - X-Wing

Could probably shave off a point from Shara to put R4-D6 on Biggs. Maybe R7 instead of R7-T1?

I have the sabine combo on Shara [37] and PTL c3po r5-x3 on Norra (wish bb-8 was not unique :() [36] leaving room for r4-d6 IA Biggs and a 1 point bid [ruins ps 8 palp aces with sabine]

Nice! Agreed, BB-8 on both would be incredible.

By the way, would it be presumptuous to call these lists "Biggs walks the Moms?"

the connotation is slightly disturbing :unsure:

Oh... Right... Didn't think that one through.

Let's avoid that one then, shall we?

realistic --> tie fighter peripheral vision --> suspension of disbelief

dont get me wrong, the guns are goofy as hell, but realism never stopped anyone in SWs before

There's a limit to everything. Even to suspension of disbelief.

Edited by VaeVictis

realistic --> tie fighter peripheral vision --> suspension of disbelief

dont get me wrong, the guns are goofy as hell, but realism never stopped anyone in SWs before

There's a limit to everything. Even to suspension of disbelief.

if the limit isn't the tie fighter being a combat vessel of any kind, nevermind a space/air ship, then it isn't set far enough

Edited by ficklegreendice

Stop likening my beloved ARC-170 to bloody K-Wings!  The ARC is gorgeous, K-wings are hideous.  That's not my opinion, that's a fact.  Santa told me, and the ghost of David Bowie as The Goblin King backed him up.

N1s are clearly coming.  They're in new canon, with Leia as a pilot no less, and we know they can hold their own against TIEs.  I predict them in Wave X along with a certain ship from a certain old PC game.

Why are people talking about taking Nora without PTL or EI or some other way of doubling up tokens?  Seems like an obvious oversight, so I assume I'm missing something.

Stop likening my beloved ARC-170 to bloody K-Wings!  The ARC is gorgeous, K-wings are hideous.  That's not my opinion, that's a fact.  Santa told me, and the ghost of David Bowie as The Goblin King backed him up.

N1s are clearly coming.  They're in new canon, with Leia as a pilot no less, and we know they can hold their own against TIEs.  I predict them in Wave X along with a certain ship from a certain old PC game.

Why are people talking about taking Nora without PTL or EI or some other way of doubling up tokens?  Seems like an obvious oversight, so I assume I'm missing something.

my nora's gonna be glued to PTL. sadly, she's just designed for it unless we get some kind of focus ept (3 points for focus-predator?). Not so sadly, the advertised 6 greens (probably 1-2 straights and banks) makes for fun times with bb-8

even with momma Poe helping out, it's just far too slow an ability to depend on any other ept

you could Wire Nora with targeting and Hera and hope the 50% pays off, but it won't half the time (less than half for green dice)

nevermind don't think you can re-roll a result even if you represent it with a physical die

my nora's gonna be glued to PTL. sadly, she's just designed for it unless we get some kind of focus ept (3 points for focus-predator?). Not so sadly, the advertised 6 greens (probably 1-2 straights and banks) makes for fun times with bb-8

even with momma Poe helping out, it's just far too slow an ability to depend on any other ept

you could Wire Nora with targeting and Hera and hope the 50% pays off, but it won't half the time (less than half for green dice)

nevermind don't think you can re-roll a result even if you represent it with a physical die

I was thinking EI plus that droid that lets you boost after target lock (primarily to allow use of EI to trigger focus and target lock, the boost is just a bonus), freeing up your EPT for predator, since you're not going to want to use your target lock for rerolling.  Predator also helps if the Tail Gunner lets you shoot from both arcs in one turn.

You all know that N1 will eventually make a cameo in Rebels. Then we'll see them on the table.

Goodness, I hope they do an alternate paint scheme from the banana yellow if they do.  It's one of a very few ships in star wars that I don't think I would put on the table in a game just because of how it looks, especially when you put it next to other ships.  I would rather they do the various Jedi Starfighters before the N-1.

I was thinking EI plus that droid that lets you boost after target lock (primarily to allow use of EI to trigger focus and target lock, the boost is just a bonus), freeing up your EPT for predator, since you're not going to want to use your target lock for rerolling.  Predator also helps if the Tail Gunner lets you shoot from both arcs in one turn.

that's a very expensive, easily killed PS 7 ship with minimal (incredibly situational) re-positioning, though

I doubt we'll ever truly see much of Nora's ability, it's just too many hoops and dice to jump through. Even with PTL, you'll probably just spend the TL modifying the roll unless you get all hits/focus or only roll 1 blank

rear-arc gets modded by the title, so as long as you get one hit at range 2-3 the ability will pull through a guaranteed crit rather than gambling on a re-roll + focus

now Nora with Poe's mom is also incredibly situational, since Poe's mom is also an arc that could use her TL to mod dice, but it's a way to get that coveted focus result if necessary.

that's a very expensive, easily killed PS 7 ship with minimal (incredibly situational) re-positioning, though

I doubt we'll ever truly see much of Nora's ability, it's just too many hoops and dice to jump through. Even with PTL, you'll probably just spend the TL modifying the roll unless you get all hits/focus or only roll 1 blank

rear-arc gets modded by the title, so as long as you get one hit at range 2-3 the ability will pull through a guaranteed crit rather than gambling on a re-roll + focus

now Nora with Poe's mom is also incredibly situational, since Poe's mom is also an arc that could use her TL to mod dice, but it's a way to get that coveted focus result if necessary.

Yes, it certainly gets expensive.  Mind you, boost with a rear arc is pretty handy.  If you don't get out of the enemy's arc you can use your target lock for defence, as predator plus her ability is probably enough for your rear arc attack.

Those are very finely sculpted and painted minatures. I admit I'm underwhelmed by this wave of ships as far as what they are and how unique they are from existing ships (i.e. I was hoping for a gunship), but they look very nice! Much, much better than wave 8 ships; again, in my humble opinion. The shadow-caster is so much better looking than the ghost, and even though I have no knowledge of the cartoon ships, if I picked one to purchase, it would be the shadow-caster if appearance played into it at all.

The little turret on the back of the SF tie is excellent, I was worried they wouldn't model that at all. All of these ships look great but I plan on getting one arc and 2 SF ties...the scum ships are okay but i'm not a fan of the Rebels show.

I'm open to the prequel stuff making it into the game now that most of the Legends and OT stuff has been fleshed out. However, I don't think they should be adapted into the current factions. They should be new factions that cannot cross. ie: I don't want to see a Rebel ETA2. I only want to see a Republic ETA2. Some ships will obviously cross (like Y Wing and Z95) but that should be it.

I really don't like the huge guns on the wingtips of the Arc-170. That's like how a 6 year old would draw a gun on an airplane.

I might take those off and put them under fuselage for better placement. They are just too badly placed to be realistic.

gimbals yo

Princess Leia and Shara Bey say hi.

Precedent holds that if it ain't in TFA or Rebels it ain't canon. I don't like it either, but I don't make the rules.

The Marvel comics are canon.

Surely any comics, novels, games, whatever since Disney took over are canon?