Sign in to follow this  
slowreflex

Close-Ups of Wave 9 from Yavin

really want to see the rest of the arc cards so I can safely fantasize about flying at least 3

so far the two named pilots and biggs make for a list I already want to play

Curious to see what you came up with! Here's my stab at it:

Norra Wexley (38) - ARC-170

Veteran Instincts (1), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), BB-8 (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Seismic Charges (2)

Shara Bey (37) - ARC-170

Predator (3), Weapons Engineer (3), R7-T1 (3), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25) - X-Wing

Could probably shave off a point from Shara to put R4-D6 on Biggs. Maybe R7 instead of R7-T1?

I'm a little late to the party as I've been gone a few days, but anyone notice the ARC has no generic pilots?

I still utterly loathe everything about the design, shape, and concept of the Arc. I have seen some godawful looking machines in my time, but nothing so offensively abhorrent as that abomination.

Go cry in a corner, nobody cares.

I'm a little late to the party as I've been gone a few days, but anyone notice the ARC has no generic pilots?

I still utterly loathe everything about the design, shape, and concept of the Arc. I have seen some godawful looking machines in my time, but nothing so offensively abhorrent as that abomination.

Bit harsh? It's not like I was attacking the designer. The molding required to make that piece is impressive, and the paintjob is top notch; I'm just throwing out an opinion that it looks like it was designed (not by FFG, obviously) by a committee of kids (more wings! Bigger guns! More windows!). Given aesthetics is a key selling point of the game for many, I'd wager people do care, whether positively or negatively.

Won't stop me from picking one up though. Looks aside, the ship itself is solid.

Bit harsh? It's not like I was attacking the designer. The molding required to make that piece is impressive, and the paintjob is top notch; I'm just throwing out an opinion that it looks like it was designed (not by FFG, obviously) by a committee of kids (more wings! Bigger guns! More windows!). Given aesthetics is a key selling point of the game for many, I'd wager people do care, whether positively or negatively.

Won't stop me from picking one up though. Looks aside, the ship itself is solid.

Sorry it gets really annoying when people say all this bad stuff about the ARC but choose to ignore how retarded the X-wing is as well.

Sorry it gets really annoying when people say all this bad stuff about the ARC but choose to ignore how retarded the X-wing is as well.

Or the fact that the X-wing doesn't look 'retarded', and the ARC is quite clearly "Yo dawg I heard you like S-Foils, so we put S-Foils in your S-Foils so you can open your S-Foils while you open your S-Foils".

The X-Wing was designed as a standalone ship to look 'cool', whereas the philosophy behind the ARC was 'we need an X-Wing 'predecessor'. It's painfully obvious.

One thing I do like about the ARC is the lack of Generic Pilots. It's FFG saying 'guys, don't worry, this is a one off'. That, and the old 'clone wars' paint job has been scrubbed off and replaced with Alliance markings.

So hopefully no flipping N1s

Princess Leia and Shara Bey say hi.

1476528250965043491.png

Edited by Toqtamish

Why is attacking FFG designers bad and Lucasfilm designers good?

One thing I do like about the ARC is the lack of Generic Pilots. It's FFG saying 'guys, don't worry, this is a one off'. That, and the old 'clone wars' paint job has been scrubbed off and replaced with Alliance markings.

Princess Leia and Shara Bey say hi.

1476528250965043491.png

Say hi to what? The ship looks dumb as ever, though at least none of them are comparing it to podracing.

Or the fact that "in my opinion" the X-wing doesn't look 'retarded',[citation needed] and that "in my opinion" ARC is quite clearly "Yo dawg I heard you like S-Foils, so we put S-Foils in your S-Foils so you can open your S-Foils while you open your S-Foils".[citation needed]

The X-Wing was designed as a standalone ship to look 'cool', whereas the philosophy behind the ARC was 'we need an X-Wing 'predecessor'. It's painfully obvious.

FTFY

Or the fact that "in my opinion" the X-wing doesn't look 'retarded',[citation needed] and that "in my opinion" ARC is quite clearly "Yo dawg I heard you like S-Foils, so we put S-Foils in your S-Foils so you can open your S-Foils while you open your S-Foils".[citation needed]

FTFY

You want me to cite my opinion? Ok, my opinion is that the X-Wing doesn't look retarded. There you go, written proof that my opinion is that the X-Wing doesn't look retarded. And you want me to cite the source for my joke?

Haha, this is why you should leave lazy snark to trained professionals. Your misapplication just makes you look foolish.

Edited by jimmius

the arc in the prequel was def designed to try (and fail) to evoke OT nostalgia

the arc in x-wing miniatures seems resplendent in its utterly goofy glory and it will find a home aside the illustrious K-wing

really want to see the rest of the arc cards so I can safely fantasize about flying at least 3

Veteran Instincts (1), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), BB-8 (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Seismic Charges (2)

Shara Bey (37) - ARC-170

Could probably shave off a point from Shara to put R4-D6 on Biggs. Maybe R7 instead of R7-T1?

I have the sabine combo on Shara [37] and PTL c3po r5-x3 on Norra (wish bb-8 was not unique :() [36] leaving room for r4-d6 IA Biggs and a 1 point bid [ruins ps 8 palp aces with sabine]

or, if seismic torps are any good (they're not shaping up to be normal torps as apparently they're fired on ACTION:), drop Shara down to Stay on Target, Targeting Astro and Hera [33] and give Norra bb-8 [38] leaving 3 points after biggs to hopefully put the torp on someone

Edited by ficklegreendice

You need to calm down.

And my reply is not snarky. I honestly don't see how anyone can believe the ARC looks god-awful yet choose to ignore the X-wing's flaws. With the exception of the overly large laser cannons, it's a solid design.

Oh it's not great either, but at least they attempted to explain it as "these guns need to shed a load of thermal build up, so the opening "wings" are just radiators". The Arc just seems like a kitbash project, rather than something designed with a plan.

Why is attacking FFG designers bad and Lucasfilm designers good?

I'm not attacking any designers? I'm saying FFG took a model of something really awkward to physically produce because of it's shape and protrusions, and made a bloody good job of it. As someone who works with injection molding machines regularly, I can appreciate the hell out of how they've executed it (the guns on the X-wing still fascinate me from a molding standpoint).

The Lucasfilm designers put out something that looks, frankly, ridiculous. It's not the first time they've done so, and it won't be the last. Considering the number of wild looking ships they invent every year, some of them are always going to questionable. Not everything can be as instantly iconic as an X-wing or ISD. I still don't like the offset propulsion on the Jumpmaster, or the offset cockpit on the Falcon/Outrider, but it's not going to stop me from using them in a game for fun.

the arc in the prequel was def designed to try (and fail) to evoke OT nostalgia

the arc in x-wing miniatures seems resplendent in its utterly goofy glory and it will find a home aside the illustrious K-wing

Shara Bey (37) - ARC-170

I have the sabine combo on Shara [37] and PTL c3po r5-x3 on Norra (wish bb-8 was not unique :() [36] leaving room for r4-d6 IA Biggs and a 1 point bid [ruins ps 8 palp aces with sabine]

or, if seismic torps are any good (they're not shaping up to be normal torps as apparently they're fired on ACTION:), drop Shara down to Stay on Target, Targeting Astro and Hera [33] and give Norra bb-8 [38] leaving 3 points after biggs to hopefully put the torp on someone

Nice! Agreed, BB-8 on both would be incredible.

By the way, would it be presumptuous to call these lists "Biggs walks the Moms?"

I'm as cool as a cucumber. It's just a personal bugbear of mine when people think posting 'citation needed' is considered a witty comeback. Especially when replying to someone's personal opinion.

But if you want a more serious reply, my main problem with your posting was how you try to paint the picture where anyone with problems with the ARC's design secretly thinks the X-Wing sucks too, and we're all pretending not to to spite you or something.

You need to calm down.

And my reply is not snarky. I honestly don't see how anyone can believe the ARC looks god-awful yet choose to ignore the X-wing's flaws. With the exception of the overly large laser cannons, it's a solid design.
Big cannons are justified with it being a heavy fighter, unlike the X-wing.

Actually, the X-wing also has stupidly huge cannons, just compare them to any TIE.

Edited by eMeM

Safest way to prevent a repeat of Jumpmasters...