Sign in to follow this  
ozmodon

Gunboat nevermore

I can't help but feel on these boards, many players have to demonstrate their dedication and level of fandom by voicing their desire for the most obscure ship in the game. It's almost a badge you can wear that says "I'm a bigger fan than you because if I am passionate about this chud ship that is referenced in the background of some obscure resource once .. I must be more knowledgeable and passionate about Star Wars than you!"

As for the Gunboat, it was an iconic ship in the X-Wing / TIE Fighter games. Yes. FFG has pulled far more obscure crap out of the EU.

However, it doesn't feel/look 'Imperial Fighter'. It doesn't fit the Imperial design. Imp fighters look like TIEs. The average Kevin Thunderpants can look at an Imp fighter and say "Aha!, that is Imperial!" Ships are similar in design because the Empire is about consistency and uniformity. That is their style/brand. Take a peak at the Raider, FFG's creation. It's triangular, grey, TIE Interceptor wing things .. clearly a large Imperial ship.The Gunboat bears the shape of an Imp Shuttle .. it adheres to that design space. I argue many non hard core fans over 30 would identify it as a) Imperial and b) NOT a fighter.

That is why it's not in the game. 

Edited by Conandoodle

I can understand the desire for the gunboat. After all it was a big part of the TIE Fighter game from the X-wing computer game franchise and many players do see X-wing miniatures as the computer-game series come to table top. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHv7jH_SXMg

However as Star Wars is now controlled by Disney and FFG has to extend the license through Disney you will likely not see the assault gunboat as the mouse will push FFG to print ships from Disney products like Rebels and the Movies as the EU has been wiped by the current IP holders. So unless we see Assault Gunboats in Rouge series or Rebels (unlikely as Disney does not want to use anything from the EU) It is a casualty of the EU wipe and those ships from the EU that made it to X-wing are refugees.

Well yes and no, I agree that with the glut of films and Disney backed TV shows we will be seeing only ships from these but there is precedent in the Interdictor cruiser, another obscure ship from the PC games that made a comeback in Rebels and is now in Armada.

I believe this is now the Gunboats only chance if it doesn't turn up in any new material, we won't be seeing it.( and there some much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Gekos thread)

As an aside I wore a T shirt all day yesterday asking for the Gunboats inclusion, nobody asked me out in the car park and the FFG design police didn't arrest me, a couple of people smiled and someone else said " oh yeah that old ship" so all just a bit of fun, so can we all put this into some context.

Toy ships for a fun game, let's keep it light hearted.

I can't help but feel on these boards, many players have to demonstrate their dedication and level of fandom by voicing their desire for the most obscure ship in the game. It's almost a badge you can wear that says "I'm a bigger fan than you because if I am passionate about this chud ship that is referenced in the background of some obscure resource once .. I must be more knowledgeable and passionate about Star Wars than you!"

As for the Gunboat, it was an iconic ship in the X-Wing / TIE Fighter games. Yes. FFG has pulled far more obscure crap out of the EU.

However, it doesn't feel/look 'Imperial Fighter'. It doesn't fit the Imperial design. Imp fighters look like TIEs. The average Kevin Thunderpants can look at an Imp fighter and say "Aha!, that is Imperial!" Ships are similar in design because the Empire is about consistency and uniformity. That is their style/brand. Take a peak at the Raider, FFG's creation. It's triangular, grey, TIE Interceptor wing things .. clearly a large Imperial ship.The Gunboat bears the shape of an Imp Shuttle .. it adheres to that design space. I argue many non hard core fans over 30 would identify it as a) Imperial and b) NOT a fighter.

That is why it's not in the game.

After TIEs, the shuttle is the second most iconic imperial non-capital silhouette in the 'verse. A smaller one with rocket packs on its shoulders should hardly struggle to be recognisable any worse than a defender to the casual observer.

But yes, I suspect the TIE Punisher - chosen for the mkii ion engine include and the ability to release cool new bombs - stole the last real chance in the immediate future of having the gunboat show up.

Then again, it's certainly a rebels-friendly design, so who knows?

Edited by Reiver

I can understand the desire for the gunboat. After all it was a big part of the TIE Fighter game from the X-wing computer game franchise and many players do see X-wing miniatures as the computer-game series come to table top. 

However as Star Wars is now controlled by Disney and FFG has to extend the license through Disney you will likely not see the assault gunboat as the mouse will push FFG to print ships from Disney products like Rebels and the Movies as the EU has been wiped by the current IP holders. So unless we see Assault Gunboats in Rouge series or Rebels (unlikely as Disney does not want to use anything from the EU) It is a casualty of the EU wipe and those ships from the EU that made it to X-wing are refugees.

Well yes and no, I agree that with the glut of films and Disney backed TV shows we will be seeing only ships from these but there is precedent in the Interdictor cruiser, another obscure ship from the PC games that made a comeback in Rebels and is now in Armada.

I believe this is now the Gunboats only chance if it doesn't turn up in any new material, we won't be seeing it.( and there some much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Gekos thread)

As an aside I wore a T shirt all day yesterday asking for the Gunboats inclusion, nobody asked me out in the car park and the FFG design police didn't arrest me, a couple of people smiled and someone else said " oh yeah that old ship" so all just a bit of fun, so can we all put this into some context.

Toy ships for a fun game, let's keep it light hearted.

DAT...

:)

BOO%2BTOPIC%2BGOOD%2BPOST.png

Wave seven was its last chance.i think their was a coin toss...

Punisher,gunboat,punisher,gunboat.

And....CLICKETY CLINCKY punisher it is.

"Let's get to work on that gunboat thing for the next wave...er...whats that? A new core set?!? New movie?!?!ok LETS DO THIS..LEERROOOY!"

And a year later...two waves later...

time to close the trash compactor on the gunboat.

I've never had the impression that what a ships 'role' was had anything to do with what gets released.

It doesn't seem too important to the big man game company.

They sure aren't trying to give every faction an option to fill some sort of 'role'

I've never had the impression that what a ships 'role' was had anything to do with what gets released.

It doesn't seem too important to the big man game company.

They sure aren't trying to give every faction an option to fill some sort of 'role'

Oh yes - and don't forget the equivalence thing

"x-faction does not have a ship that is equivalent to y-faction's ship"

So you can only counter a ship with a ship that's equivalent to it?

So yeah JBR7 and I had that talk and i think generally, at it's very core we agree, Everyone needs to bloody chill. Let's not be hatin' on FFG for not releasing the Gunboat (not that many were) and let's not be dissing people who want their favourite cool ships, Like the Gunboat, Avenger, DX-9, Kimogilla(it's coming Joe!) etc.

Casuals, Tourney players, Star Wars elitist Trolls.

We're all fans of the game, and fans of the lore. We all gotta respect that

I'll leave you all to go back to your Gunboat loving with this song, which I've compiled from the official Gunboat thread.

This is a gunboat.

I'm making a note here, huge success.

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Cygnus spaceworks.

We do what we must, because we can.

For the good of all of us, except the rebels who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over every missed wave.

You just keep on posting till there's no more to say

and the stats get done, and you make a neat shirt

For the Gunboat fans still alive.

We're not really salty.
We're comicly endeared.
Even though they came and spoiled us wave nine.
And there's no gunboat inside that wave.
Maybe it will never come to us?
Its in wave ten!
The was a joke, haha, fat chance.

Anyway the ARC is great it's so perfectly cool

Now these points of stats make a beautiful card

and we're out of ideas but that's ok it's not hard.

So I'm glad we've got 9 even though people think we whine.

Our hope for the GUN's still alive.

And believe me it still alive

We're shooting rebels and it's still alive.

We're playing Xwing and it's still alive.

And when you're trollin' it'll be still alive.

And when Wave 10 hits it'lll be still alive.

Still alive.

Still alive.

It was a very interesting talk between the fairly loud and boisterous JBR7 and the softly spoken and extra-hushed because not wanting to wake family me... I found the polar difference there hilarious.

You know, one of the things we spoke about was how the forums are absolutely fantastic as a community here, how it's a lot less elitist than many gaming forums that exist on line. As a community we are awesome. So While, yes I did post my opinion just now on a thread about the vong, let's keep it to not being hateful.

Let's all not take each other too seriously either. Life's too short.

Fly Casual my friends.

Edited by DariusAPB

Where is this idea that the Gunboat and the Punisher have identical roles coming from?

They're less alike than the Y-wing and K-wing.

ordnance carrier. No turrets, no maneuverability extraordinaire.

simple and choppy ordnance carrier.

The gunboat makes less sense  - it's completely out of step with Imperial design ethos, 

WHY DOES EVERYBODY KEEP SAYING THIS????

But the Empire is not a factory. They're still paying othe companies to design and produce ships. According to the old lore, even X-wings were comissioned by the Empire for Incom to develop. Right now we have an overwhelming amount of Sienar Fleet Systems craft and I agree that we need some Cygnus Spaceworks representation.

Yes, exactly!

After TIEs, the shuttle is the second most iconic imperial non-capital silhouette in the 'verse. A smaller one with rocket packs on its shoulders should hardly struggle to be recognisable any worse than a defender to the casual observer.

Yes! Thank you!