Sign in to follow this  
Estarriol

Are the ships getting too obscure?

So you do in fact oppose content based on source then.

I don't. For me, old or new is fine. I have more faith in the intelligence of fans to recognise and want something new even if they don't immediately recognise it. So long as its new and original. Therefore I am actually fine with new content from Rebels. The problem is an arbitrary barrier that prevents any content if it doesn't pass the "cameo on Rebels/new films" threshold. In other words, blind bondage to canon.

I'm still amazed that FFG was allwoed to create the Raider. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot and really appreciate it as one of the Empire's Epic ships. But to have something created in this game as opposed to copied by this game is quite an achievement.

I'm not as well read in all things Star Wars, has the Raider made appearances in anything else besides FFG games yet?

Ummm...how can the first wave since, what, wave *3*, that is all drawn ENTIRELY from ships seen on-screen being seen as "obscure"??

I mean, every ship in wave 9 was seen in a Star Wars movie or TV show - nothing here is 'expanded universe' at all, for once.

By "3" you must have meant "8"?

For clarity:

VCX and TAP - seen in Rebels

T70 and TIE F/O - seen in films

Edited by Xerandar

Ummm...how can the first wave since, what, wave *3*, that is all drawn ENTIRELY from ships seen on-screen being seen as "obscure"??

I mean, every ship in wave 9 was seen in a Star Wars movie or TV show - nothing here is 'expanded universe' at all, for once.

For clarity:

When do we see the Jumpmaster and Mist Hunter!?!?

As a MASSIVE fan of the old EU, I have no problems with new ships from new sources coming in. I'm extremely excited for wave 9. What I do have a problem with is the mentality that because there are new canon sources available, we must forget about the old sources and never use them again. There are still a couple EU ships I would like to see.

For clarity:

G1A never seen on screen. Jumpmaster never seen on screen.

For clarity:

Jumpmaster and Mist Hunter - seen nowhwere

So you do in fact oppose content based on source then.

I don't. For me, old or new is fine. I have more faith in the intelligence of fans to recognise and want something new even if they don't immediately recognise it. So long as its new and original. Therefore I am actually fine with new content from Rebels. The problem is an arbitrary barrier that prevents any content if it doesn't pass the "cameo on Rebels/new films" threshold. In other words, blind bondage to canon.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. 

A) I'm not against any content, regardless of source. I do not oppose old, new, EU, made up, or reskinned ships. Heck, I love the K-Wing, never heard of it before this game. What I do oppose is people complaining about what they've been given because it's not what they feel they deserve. Especially when there is no real justification to give people a gunboat. Because that's what this is really about.

B) Some sources of inspiration are more applicable than others. Ships in the original trilogy are more valid than others. Thats why we saw Xs, Ys, As, Bs and the Falcon to start us off. Then, ships became thin on the ground, hence EU and even more stretches. When there is original IP, that is well known to fans and is relevant to the company's overall marketing strategy, that is more applicable than a 20 year old video game, that lots of people haven't played. Bring out all the ships you like from it, once there's nothing else left.

A) some of your recent posts suggest otherwise. Naturally I find this confusing.

B) some sources are more valid; I don't deny that this spectrum exists. But to block out less valid sources altogether is another matter.

I'll never understand the argument of "That doesn't FEEL very star wars"

since it's always some objective anecdote on what IS star wars.

Exactly.  For me, I read the books and played the games FAR more than anything else, so stuff from the books and games feels more Star Wars.  Having never watched "The Clone Wars" or "Rebels", that stuff feels less Star Wars.  However, for someone who stayed current with both series and never really got into the books or games, their view would be exactly the opposite.  

All these sources, canon and non-canon, obscure and mainstream, are Star Wars; regardless of who does or does not recognize them as such.

For clarity:

It is a criticism that can be levied at almost any scum release. Bear in mind that Star Wars is about Imperials versus Rebels with very little direct appearance of Scum ships. Which is why I disregarded scum releases. Edited by Xerandar

A) some of your recent posts suggest otherwise. Naturally I find this confusing.

B) some sources are more valid; I don't deny that this spectrum exists. But to block out less valid sources altogether is another matter.

A) Which ones? Sure, ban the gunboat, but that's because of people, not the gunboat itself. The T-Wing for example, came from X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter, let's have that. The Outrider is from Shadows of the Empire, one of my favourite Star Wars Games.

B) Again, if you learn to read, you'll see I didn't say to block any sources. We actually agree that some sourrs are more valid than others. Which is exactly what I said.

For clarity:

It is a criticism that can be levied at almost any scum release. Bear in mind that Star Wars is about Imperials versus Rebels with very little direct appearance of Scum. Which is why I disregarded scum releases.

The point of the post you quoted was that this criticism can't be applied to wave 9 and that's the first time since wave 3 (wave 2, actually).

A) Which ones? Sure, ban the gunboat, but that's because of people, not the gunboat itself. The T-Wing for example, came from X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter, let's have that. The Outrider is from Shadows of the Empire, one of my favourite Star Wars Games.

B) Again, if you learn to read, you'll see I didn't say to block any sources. We actually agree that some sourrs are more valid than others. Which is exactly what I said.

A) so instead of being against something for logical, rational reason, you're just being spiteful. Why?

B) no need for a spiteful ad hominem attack. If I wasn't capable of reading, contributing to this forum would be hard. Like I said, I was confused by your contradictory posts. Your above clarification has rendered this confusion redundant.

A) so instead of being against something for logical, rational reason, you're just being spiteful. Why?

B) no need for a spiteful ad hominem attack. If I wasn't capable of reading, contributing to this forum would be hard. Like I said, I was confused by your contradictory posts. Your above clarification has rendered this confusion redundant.

A) Because I don't like people constantly going on about how they should have something and complaining when they don't get it. Being spiteful is just who I am. Maybe I wasn't loved properly as a child.

B) Well, you kept saying things I said things that simply weren't the case. But I'm glad I cleared up your confusion.

Well, there's a huge thread about the gunboat running now. The first post in this thread. And if you scrawl through the Wave 9 release thread, you'l see that too. I'm sure when wave 10 come out, there will be people bitching if there's no gunboat. There are people wearing T-Shirts about it to Yavin at the moment. There's a thread about the ubiquitous whining going on a well.

It's everywhere.

I think OP what you are missing here is that how ever obscure, these ships are all linked to Star Wars. There will be people who know them well, people who will be glad that they have been included so that they can learn more about them. I just recently watched...OK Binged watched Rebels a few months ago and when the Protector ship was shown I was all, I hope this ship makes it to X Wing. On that note, maybe that's what you Gunboat Cult fiends need to do, silent hoping..yeah that would be nice. 

But as long as they don't start making stuff up I am all ok with what ever they bring out. Protector fits the niche of Scum Arc dodger, small jouster with some of the great abilities. I wanted to play Scum when I first started, but they didn't have anything like the Interceptor. So now they do I can move to the side where the real action is at. 

For clarity:

G1A never seen on screen. Jumpmaster never seen on screen.

HWK-290, TIE Defender, E-Wing, Scyk, Kihrdfkjbdgkjbxz, TIE Phantom, Decimator, those were also all never on screen.

theres more than just the trilogy to the starwars universe.

afaik there isnt a single ship in this game that doesnt exist in the movies or series.

Oh but there is...the raider.

It was designed from scratch just specifically for this game.

And it's GLORIOUS.

If only there was more ' in house' design going on.

The raider is so effing good. It feels star wars.

Ghost....jump master...this...shadow slapper thing....ties with more or less wing panels...gun boats...

Sure..they are star wars. They just don't FEEL star wars.

The people mAking star wars stuff these days aren't as good as whoever did the raider.

And I blame palob godahli for approving all this junk over the years. ;p

The Raider is glorious, on that we agree.

Maybe the animated ships aren't quite greebled enough? Hear me out.

A classic Star Wars ship, in my opinion, is built along the same aesthetic line as a beater car. Starships are expensive, rugged, and designed to last as consumers won't buy a ship with even a 1% chance of atmospheric decompression.

Because of this, the majority of civilian starships in Star Wars are bought used. Patched. Fixed and refixed. This wear and repair shows on the exterior in greebles, rust, and non-standard add-ons.

In Rebels and TCW, the computer models are cartoonized and simplified as an aesthetic choice. Within the confines of the medium, the ships look rusted, functional and grungy. The problem I think, is that when the ships are translated back into a realistic format the lack of greebles and textured wear makes them appear sleeker and more "techy" than their film counterparts.

Plausible, no?  ^_^

Edited by OneKelvin

Disney will create new toys ships every year

And yet the current evidence is that they don't:

TIE f/o and sf are TIE fighters

T-70 is an X-wing reskinned

By all indications we'll be getting a reskinned Awing in the next film.

The new ships we have are the landing craft and Kylos shuttle. 50:50 new and these designs hardly capture our imagination.

At least with the U-wings and even the TIE striker, the designs are new. Not innovative or even well designed. But it's new.

I still say the B-wing prototype will be in Wave 10.

:P

Edited by Marinealver