Sign in to follow this  
Estarriol

Are the ships getting too obscure?

theres more than just the trilogy to the starwars universe.

afaik there isnt a single ship in this game that doesnt exist in the movies or series.

K Wing, Punisher, Phantom, Defender, Kirhaxz, Misthunter, Stairmaster, IG2000, Scyk, Starviper, E Wing...

I think that's it off the top of my head?

Unless you meant 'book or comic series' in which case the numbers come down a bit.

IMO there's a lot of obscure stuff in X Wing. They mostly all stem from that period where FFG had already exhausted the original trilogy, but not yet been given the reprieve of Rebels and the new movies. That stain on our history gave us abominations like the K Wing, E Wing, Starviper, Punisher, etc.

afaik there isnt a single ship in this game that doesnt exist in the movies or series.

Oh but there is...the raider.

It was designed from scratch just specifically for this game.

And it's GLORIOUS.

If only there was more ' in house' design going on.

The raider is so effing good. It feels star wars.

Ghost....jump master...this...shadow slapper thing....ties with more or less wing panels...gun boats...

Sure..they are star wars. They just don't FEEL star wars.

The people mAking star wars stuff these days aren't as good as whoever did the raider.

And I blame palob godahli for approving all this junk over the years. ;p

That is such a weird statement. I mean really, I grew up playing Battlefront, you can be sure as hell an ARC feels Star Wars to me!

K Wing, Punisher, Phantom, Defender, Kirhaxz, Misthunter, Stairmaster, IG2000, Scyk, Starviper, E Wing...

Is that because Han Solo is a bit older now, and needs to keep himself exercising at a reasonable pace?

Unless you meant 'book or comic series' in which case the numbers come down a bit.

IMO there's a lot of obscure stuff in X Wing. They mostly all stem from that period where FFG had already exhausted the original trilogy, but not yet been given the reprieve of Rebels and the new movies. That stain on our history gave us abominations like the K Wing, E Wing, Starviper, Punisher, etc.

I'd hardly call those ships "abominations" just because they were obscure before their appearance in the game.

Stain on our history? It was the best time of X-Wing Miniatures Game. 

I'm sorry to be a Star Wars fan for over 30 years... now some seconds in a TV show for children worth much more than decades of books, comics and excellent games.

Edited by Odanan

I'm sorry to be a Star Wars fan for over 30 years... now some seconds in a TV show for children worth much more than decades of books, comics and excellent games.

Star Wars - never before designed for children...

This kind of snobbery is the worst. Rebels is a thing - why is it worth less than ships which make a brief appearance in some other media? I've been a fan for Star Wars for 20 years - never heard of a kihraxz or a K-Wing before I started playing this game. 

You do realise that 2 of the ships released in 9 are from the actual movies right?

Edited by The Penguin UK

This kind of snobbery is the worst. Rebels is a thing - why is it worth less than ships which make a brief appearance in some other media? I've been a fan for Star Wars for 20 years - never heard of a kihraxz or a K-Wing before I started playing this game. 

You do realise that 2 of the ships released in 9 are from the actual movies right?

There is indeed a part of Star Wars designed for children, which include Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks and helicopter light sabers. I hope that's not what drove most of us here.

Never heard before about Kihraxz and K-Wing? Good you learned something new.

It's not because it's in a movie that it is good. Star Wars is much more than the movies or TV shows. At least it was supposed to be. 

PS: I'm not criticizing the last wave, it was very well done. For the ships released, it's not because they poped up in some dubious film or show I have to love them. What I can't stand is people claiming we don't need the old EU anymore, since Disney will create new toys ships every year. Not everybody likes art, but one doesn't need to promote burning the Louvre because we have MTV now.

Disney will create new toys ships every year

And yet the current evidence is that they don't:

TIE f/o and sf are TIE fighters

T-70 is an X-wing reskinned

By all indications we'll be getting a reskinned Awing in the next film.

The new ships we have are the landing craft and Kylos shuttle. 50:50 new and these designs hardly capture our imagination.

At least with the U-wings and even the TIE striker, the designs are new. Not innovative or even well designed. But it's new.

Edited by Xerandar

There is indeed a part of Star Wars designed for children, which include Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks and helicopter light sabers. I hope that's not what drove most of us here.

It's not because it's in a movie that it is good. Star Wars is much more than the movies or TV shows. At least it was supposed to be. 

PS: I'm not criticizing the last wave, it was very well done. For the ships released, it's not because they poped up in some dubious film or show I have to love them. What I can't stand is people claiming we don't need the old EU anymore, since Disney will create new toys ships every year. Not everybody likes art, but one doesn't need to promote burning the Louvre because we have MTV now.

ALL of Star Wars was designed for children. Lucas said that himself. It's a great family movie, but there's a reason it has been merchandised to death. Certainly some of the later stuff is to appeal to adults, but the films are aimed at children. All the new fans coming to the franchise will be the children to the adults who were children when it came out in the 70's. Heck, it's 50 years old now - most people who are fans from when it first came out where children when it first appealed to them.

And that statement doesn't make my point wrong - the idea that the old EU is somehow inherently better than some of the stuff coming out now is just people saying 'I'm a traditionalist and people who like new things aren't real fans and therefore worse than I am'. 

Having said that, I'm all for the old EU, some stuff (like rogue and wraith squadron) was brilliant, and I'd love to see it in our game - I was disspointed to hear it was gone as well. But to dislike the ships, and blame it on them not being from what you consider to be 'proper' Star Wars is very narrow minded. As is hating it because it's from a 'children's' show. I bet a large number of people who watch Rebels are like me - adults, but watching because they appreciate a different look at the Star Wars Universe

EDIT: And hang, draw and quarter me if you must, but when I watched ROTJ for the first time at age 6 in the cinema, I loved Ewoks. 

Edited by The Penguin UK

No-one's promoting burning the Louvre. What you're doing is complaining because the new stuff is being used over the old stuff - which is more like complaining that new paintings are put in a new exhibition instead of using obscure and unheard-of old paintings. That's fine, even if the old painting is a favourite of a lot of amateurs (i.e. people who are not FFG designers).

if there are ships from the new movies then they'll be used, and according to Disney, Rebels & TCW are all proper canon. You can't say Star Wars has always been a thing for adults really, either. So much of Star Wars was/is/will be designed to be acceptable for everyone and complaining about using something from a kids show is rubbish.

And was Star Wars really 'supposed to be' more than a movie? From when ANH was released, it had a plan of comics, TV series, books, games? They couldn't even get plot points planned out for the next 2 movies!

The point is, with Disney's publishing schedule, we won't need the EU for some time. Maybe we'll get the odd ship (Maybe even that damned Gunboat that everyone seems to love) but, Disney understand Star Wars and they can invent new ships, and probably will. The U-wing, TIE striker and others from Rogue 1, new ships for EpVIII & IX, new ships for that Han Solo movie (I think that's officially a thing now?), ships from Rebels, etc.

The EU won't be gone forever but we really won't need it for the next few waves.

I think he was referring to the absurd and arbitrary threshold that, for something to be featured in Xwing now, it must be a) featured in the films and/or b) featured in a kids show.

And bear in mind, 'a kids show' is a spectrum. Not all ideas from the more 'kid' spectrum are good. Which is why Imperial Assault and SWTOR don't feature ewoks (beyond a pricey DLC). And tri-beam b-wings.

Disney will create new toys ships every year

And yet the current evidence is that they don't:

TIE f/o and sf are TIE fighters

T-70 is an X-wing reskinned

By all indications we'll be getting a reskinned Awing in the next film.

The new ships we have are the landing craft and Kylos shuttle. 50:50 new and these designs hardly capture our imagination.

At least with the U-wings and even the TIE striker, the designs are new. Not innovative or even well designed. But it's new.

Why aren't they well designed? Compared to what? The K wing? The X wing (which is rubbishly designed for space combat)?

There's nothing wrong with reskinning when they are without a doubt the most iconic ships from SW (ignoring the death star). We might well get *an* A wing, but I doubt they will only invent reskins.

I think he was referring to the absurd and arbitrary threshold that, for something to be featured in Xwing now, it must be a) featured in the films and/or b) featured in a kids show.

And bear in mind, 'a kids show' is a spectrum. Not all ideas from the more 'kid' spectrum are good. Which is why Imperial Assault and SWTOR don't feature ewoks (beyond a pricey DLC). And tri-beam b-wings.

FFG and Disney both have licenses to follow and build on respectively. Why go to something that only hardcore fans know about, when they can use something that all the fans know about? As I said before, we have some REALLY obscure ships in this game.

If I could make an Ewok army in IA, I'd start playing that in a heartbeat.

yeah I don't get it

as Vorpal already pointed out, this wave is perhaps the least obscure since wave 2 and the EP 7 core set

as crap as the prequels were, they still garnered A LOT of views and the arc featured in the opening scene of the final movie. Whatever anyone feels about Ep 7, it's a record setter and the Tie/SF is the first ship we see Poe fly (poor generic blue T-70 :()

then there's the rebels cartoon for the reverse-scyk

wave 8 had the ghost and TAPs from rebels and then two scum ships never seen on the silver screen

wave 7, my personal favorite, had jack crap ito movie appearances outside Bossk and I don't remember seeing the YV in empire :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

FFG and Disney both have licenses to follow and build on respectively. Why go to something that only hardcore fans know about, when they can use something that all the fans know about? As I said before, we have some REALLY obscure ships in this game.

So you oppose new content based on its source? Why? What's wrong with diversity?

And why must something appear on Rebels for it to be valid?

Edited by Xerandar

Why aren't they well designed? Compared to what? The K wing? The X wing (which is rubbishly designed for space combat)?

There's nothing wrong with reskinning when they are without a doubt the most iconic ships from SW (ignoring the death star). We might well get *an* A wing, but I doubt they will only invent reskins.

Whether or not they're well designed to any metric isn't the point: contents content. I think the k-wing is fugly, but it's great fun to play and something different on the tabletop.

Reskinning is boring and lazy. However much we hated the prequels (or not), they each gave us something new: N1s, Droid Fighters, ARCs, V-wings, etc. etc.. I may not like a particular design but at least it's better than trying to pick apart which TIE model is which.

With regards to the A-wing: the trends thus far suggest it will be just a reskin.

Edited by Xerandar

So you oppose new content based on its source? Why? What's wrong with diversity?

And why must something appear on Rebels for it to be valid?

No, you're putting words in my mouth. I was explaining why Disney are going down the route they are going down.

And yes, content based on source is more valid. You should try to appeal to the largest number of people, and you do this by promoting something currently seen, not by going with something obscure. Not necessarily Rebels, but that's the obvious choice seen as The films are once a year and clearly aren't presenting too many new ships at the moment.]

By your logic, they could have rwleased lots of other ships and ignored the X-Wing and the Tie Fighter altogether if sources and ships carry equal merit.

Do prequels count as Bottom of the Barrel yet? :P

If the prequels are bottom of the barrel, then The Crystal Star and Legacy of the Force are five miles underground. 

And the Holiday Special is somewhere in China.

I thought we all agreed to completely deny the existence of the Holiday Special (and the Ewok Movie).

You may go about your business.

Move along. Move along.