Sign in to follow this  
Estarriol

Are the ships getting too obscure?

I was gaming well before that. My taste in games is solid; I think most people that loved those games because they were Star Wars affiliated. You can disagree all you want but there's a reason none of these games were huge successes. Battlefront was the first to get a bigger following though I honestly haven't played it yet (again, most Star Wars video games are crap so I hesitate to drop the money on it).

Look, your taste is your own, but: if you played X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT/Alliance, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Jedi Knight II/Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic 1&2, the various side scrollers, others I'm forgetting and you thought none of them were good, well. Your taste isn't solid, it's idiosyncratic. Which is fine, but when you start projecting on to other people ("I didn't like them therefore no one liked them and they fooled themselves because star wars"), well. You should stop doing that.

Also, the thing where you've been gaming for 20 or 30 years and games these days don't compare and graphics and etc? That's called nostalgia. It's got nothing to do with actual merit and everything to do with you.

You're right, I don't carry any nostalgia for totally forgettable games. I suspect these games are much like anything cult following; people like it despite their serious flaws. Those games don't compare because they are uninteresting and do not hook me. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Star Wars, but I bet most people love it much like they loved Battletoads (which I ironically loved as a kid but it doesn't make it any less than a terrible game).

Your entire argument seems to be, "I didn't like the games, so therefore they were terrible in an objective sense and anyone who thinks they were good must have brainwashed themselves."  You keep mentioning "serious flaws" and how "uninteresting" the games are, yet you never bring up specifics, and you ignore all evidence to the contrary!  I have to second the question Admiral Deathrain raised:  what do you consider a good game?  And please be specific, not simply, "games that aren't bad," or, "anything but a Star Wars game," or some other attempt to dodge the question.

As a further example to show you the sheer lunacy of your argument, I'll share that the Grand Theft Auto series doesn't appeal to me.  Does this make it a totally forgettable series?  Do the games simply have cult followings who like them despite serious flaws?  Do people just ignore how terrible they are for the sake of nostalgia?  Or could it be that they are solid games that just don't overlap much with my personal interests?

Never said anything about an objective sense. It's art and some people enjoy them for different reasons. I never found anything compelling or interesting enough to make me play them past an hour or so. Your argument about GTA is valid. You can in your own right think it's forgettable or complete garbage. That's the funny thing about opinions.

You're right, I don't carry any nostalgia for totally forgettable games. I suspect these games are much like anything cult following; people like it despite their serious flaws. Those games don't compare because they are uninteresting and do not hook me. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Star Wars, but I bet most people love it much like they loved Battletoads (which I ironically loved as a kid but it doesn't make it any less than a terrible game).

Sure, sure. But that standard old-man grump where you complained that modern games don't measure up to the games that, coincidentally, were made when you were but a wee lad? Mind elaborating? Which specific old games do modern games fail to meet or surpass? 

No, and stop whining about that **** Gunboat. Bad ship idea from a bad game.

Dude what? I don't really like the Gunboat, not saying that i would mind it in the game, but saying TIE-Fighter was a bad game? I think video game history disagrees with you.

I have never played a good Star Wars video game. They might be good as Star Wars games are concerned but not overall.

Say, are you an Imperial player for XWMG perchance?

I was gaming well before that. My taste in games is solid; I think most people that loved those games because they were Star Wars affiliated. You can disagree all you want but there's a reason none of these games were huge successes. Battlefront was the first to get a bigger following though I honestly haven't played it yet (again, most Star Wars video games are crap so I hesitate to drop the money on it).

Look, your taste is your own, but: if you played X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT/Alliance, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Jedi Knight II/Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic 1&2, the various side scrollers, others I'm forgetting and you thought none of them were good, well. Your taste isn't solid, it's idiosyncratic. Which is fine, but when you start projecting on to other people ("I didn't like them therefore no one liked them and they fooled themselves because star wars"), well. You should stop doing that.

Also, the thing where you've been gaming for 20 or 30 years and games these days don't compare and graphics and etc? That's called nostalgia. It's got nothing to do with actual merit and everything to do with you.

Your entire argument seems to be, "I didn't like the games, so therefore they were terrible in an objective sense and anyone who thinks they were good must have brainwashed themselves."  You keep mentioning "serious flaws" and how "uninteresting" the games are, yet you never bring up specifics, and you ignore all evidence to the contrary!  I have to second the question Admiral Deathrain raised:  what do you consider a good game?  And please be specific, not simply, "games that aren't bad," or, "anything but a Star Wars game," or some other attempt to dodge the question.

As a further example to show you the sheer lunacy of your argument, I'll share that the Grand Theft Auto series doesn't appeal to me.  Does this make it a totally forgettable series?  Do the games simply have cult followings who like them despite serious flaws?  Do people just ignore how terrible they are for the sake of nostalgia?  Or could it be that they are solid games that just don't overlap much with my personal interests?

Never said anything about an objective sense. It's art and some people enjoy them for different reasons. I never found anything compelling or interesting enough to make me play them past an hour or so. Your argument about GTA is valid. You can in your own right think it's forgettable or complete garbage. That's the funny thing about opinions.

Glad to see that you're finally starting to see some reason.  I just hope you realize that while you never used the word "objective", phrases such as, "people like it despite their serious flaws," "none of these games were huge successes {even though not entirely true}," and, "I think most people that loved those games because they were Star Wars affiliated," seem to imply that the games are bad regardless of whether or not people liked them (as opposed to your most recent statement that good or bad depends on people's likes/dislikes).

Changing your stance is fine, but please don't state that it was what you were saying the whole time when it clearly wasn't.  You're not a politician (to the best of my knowledge).

Sure, sure. But that standard old-man grump where you complained that modern games don't measure up to the games that, coincidentally, were made when you were but a wee lad? Mind elaborating? Which specific old games do modern games fail to meet or surpass?

I don't recall ever saying that. If I did it was a mistake, there are lots of modern games I enjoy. I'm waiting to get a new video card so I can enjoy Overwatch and Doom 4. Steam sales always get me suckered into buying something.

Glad to see that you're finally starting to see some reason.  I just hope you realize that while you never used the word "objective", phrases such as, "people like it despite their serious flaws," "none of these games were huge successes {even though not entirely true}," and, "I think most people that loved those games because they were Star Wars affiliated," seem to imply that the games are bad regardless of whether or not people liked them (as opposed to your most recent statement that good or bad depends on people's likes/dislikes).

Changing your stance is fine, but please don't state that it was what you were saying the whole time when it clearly wasn't.  You're not a politician (to the best of my knowledge).

I never changed my stance on anything. I think they are terrible games. So one in scores of games has a decent rating, doesn't mean I like it or feel it's good. I also didn't elaborate why I thought they were terrible, just assumed you understood what makes a game bad (not Superman 64 bad, just not any fun to play).

Dude what? I don't really like the Gunboat, not saying that i would mind it in the game, but saying TIE-Fighter was a bad game? I think video game history disagrees with you.

I have never played a good Star Wars video game. They might be good as Star Wars games are concerned but not overall.

Why do you ask?

I play all factions all the time. I have taken every faction to a store champ and regional.

Not really sure what point you're driving at though.

Why do you ask?

I play all factions all the time. I have taken every faction to a store champ and regional.

Not really sure what point you're driving at though.

Because in my experience, Imperial-mainers are never happy. At least, most aren't. But, glad you divide it up every now and then.

See, the weird thing is to me, that the X-Wing series, Dark Forces, and battlefront games were all exceptionally good games in their time (minus this previous one, what a mess of wasted, wonderful potential that was...)

I mean these games were hitting 8/10 and above, not because they were Star Wars, but because they were just flat out excellent games. So it's strange to me, for someone to decry them so... Strongly. Hell, Dark Forces II gets even better when you crank up the difficulty to the max, because they encourage you to use the new weapon you've gained, designing the level to give you, and teach you what opportunities are good for that weapon. That's just good game design.

I could go on and on about it honestly. Studying game design is something I'm quite fond of and take rather seriously. I'll concede that the last of the X-Wing series, Alliance, has a few pretty hard flubs where the objectives aren't clear and sometimes seeming utterly insurmountable, but it's still a strong entry in the series.

The games are just... Good. Really good. I mean, The Force Awakens II and Star Wars Kinect didn't get a pass by fans or is loved by anybody alive, because they were awful games and they showed it. There've been plenty of dreadful Star Wars titles.

But the good ones are still perfectly playable, and still measure up today. Again, Dark Forces II is my #1 example of a brilliantly designed Star Wars title.

When playing X-Wing or TIE Fighter do most people play with the Joy-Stick or mouse version?

I'm playing TIE Fighter now with an xbox controller, works without any setup, and flies decent enough for me.

When playing X-Wing or TIE Fighter do most people play with the Joy-Stick or mouse version?

Playing a flight/space sim with a MOUSE?!?  HERETIC!!!!

Now full sized joystick with HoTaS may not be common these days but at least use something with a stick.

If you haven't run MS DOS, you haven't gamed. 

If you haven't heard the static brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBEEP of a ZX Spectrum cassette playing, you haven't gamed.

As they were my intros into computers, I bought a ZX-81 and a ZX-Spectrum from eBay a while back and both them in a frame on the wall in my home office.  

I don't recall ever saying that. If I did it was a mistake, there are lots of modern games I enjoy. I'm waiting to get a new video card so I can enjoy Overwatch and Doom 4. Steam sales always get me suckered into buying something.

Hah! You're completely right, it was a different poster who was doing the back in my day thing. My mistake.

Hmm. So either someone sincerely thinks that a dozen games split across six genres which have all received immense critical acclaim and are still played to this day are bad...

Or someone's discovered a great way to troll this forum. 

gTrollface.png

Good troll, sir. Good troll. Me gusta.

If you didn't have an issue with Wave VII, don't complain about Wave IX. 

Good point.. Wave VII is utter crap from a SW perspective. Ships looks like crap. No relation between movie universe, look and feel and  the actual ships..   FFG threading water while waiting for the mouse to finish EP VII.

If you didn't have an issue with Wave VII, don't complain about Wave IX.

Good point.. Wave VII is utter crap from a SW perspective. Ships looks like crap. No relation between movie universe, look and feel and  the actual ships..   FFG threading water while waiting for the mouse to finish EP VII.
thanks for stating that as a fact and representing us all. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter if possible.