Sign in to follow this  
Estarriol

Are the ships getting too obscure?

I'm looking at some of the ships that come out, and if I didn't play x-wing I wouldn't know they were from star wars.

I guess this is part of my problem with wave IX - it's so disconnected for me. Sure, the alternative is millions of new pilots for existing platforms, but the ships themselves are part of what makes this game iconic.

I'm going to go and dig out my t-65s.

And I want a gunboat.

Even the Shadow Caster appears in several episodes in the second season of Rebels, with a merc pilot voiced by Gina Torres no less.

Plus, it's adding a pilot named Asajj. And unless there's an Asajj Johnson running around that I'm not aware of, Star Wars fans should be excited to see that name.

There have been several ships in this game i'd never heard of before. Most from galaxies. I'd never heard of the decimator, scyx, kfighter, or TIE punisher before.

So yea it's nice to have a 100% Canon wave again. Even if you haven't watched rebels yet (myself included), you still have two ships from the movies which is impressive considering the previous waves.

And Christ, another gunboat hissy-fit? That's the definition of obscure - it appeared in a video game series over 20 years old!

A 20 year old video game of which they made a miniature game version ...

But this wave actually does come from the movies and shows. Maybe next wave for Gunboat  :P

Ummm...how can the first wave since, what, wave *3*, that is all drawn ENTIRELY from ships seen on-screen being seen as "obscure"??

I mean, every ship in wave 9 was seen in a Star Wars movie or TV show - nothing here is 'expanded universe' at all, for once.

To be fair, a children's cartoon on the Disney Channel is really hardly any more "on screen" than stuff from comic books or video games. It's just as EU as anything from the EU ever was.

I'm looking at some of the ships that come out, and if I didn't play x-wing I wouldn't know they were from star wars.

I guess this is part of my problem with wave IX - it's so disconnected for me. Sure, the alternative is millions of new pilots for existing platforms, but the ships themselves are part of what makes this game iconic.

I'm going to go and dig out my t-65s.

And I want a gunboat.

It's a big Galaxy, with lots of room for innovation: that's half of the charm!

You want a laser sword? You got it.

You want a robot mechanic that looks like a Soccer Ball? I have three.

You want a starship that looks like a flying eyeball strapped to a duck? I heard there might be a few of those in the Outer Rim.

In my opinion, more variation allows for more customization and story-telling on the part of the player. There's only one Millennium Falcon, but there are a thousand other ships for "your dudes" and plenty of room for them to carve out a little niche in the galaxy.

(TLDR: There is not, and will never be, such a thing as too many different starships.^_^

I too yearn for the days of iconic Star Wars ships like the K-Wing, TIE Punisher, and that one Scum ship with an impossible to spell name. 

On a more serious note, the last thing you can say about Wave IX is that it's too obscure. The ARC-170 and TIE SF both prominently appeared in the movies, while the Fang Fighter and Shadow Caster are both from an ongoing cartoon. 

Edited by WingedSpider

Ummm...how can the first wave since, what, wave *3*, that is all drawn ENTIRELY from ships seen on-screen being seen as "obscure"?? I mean, every ship in wave 9 was seen in a Star Wars movie or TV show - nothing here is 'expanded universe' at all, for once.

To be fair, a children's cartoon on the Disney Channel is really hardly any more "on screen" than stuff from comic books or video games. It's just as EU as anything from the EU ever was.

Unless you take "Onscreen" to mean "On a screen" in which case the Cartoon wins.

Ummm...how can the first wave since, what, wave *3*, that is all drawn ENTIRELY from ships seen on-screen being seen as "obscure"?? I mean, every ship in wave 9 was seen in a Star Wars movie or TV show - nothing here is 'expanded universe' at all, for once.

It isn't and never was, even in the old EU TCW had higher canon status than novels, comics and games, after the great purge TV shows are 100% canon while the ships from 90ies video games literally don't exist.

That, and in one episode of Star Wars Rebels, the Shadow Caster got more airtime than the TIE Bomber and TIE Interceptor combined had in the Original Trilogy....  :D

Same could be said of the Fang Fighter...  Although, to be honest, most of the time they were parked on the ground or being Surfed...

Do prequels count as Bottom of the Barrel yet? :P

If the prequels are bottom of the barrel, then The Crystal Star and Legacy of the Force are five miles underground. 

And the Holiday Special is somewhere in China. 

Depending upon location.  My antipodal position is near Perth, Australia.