Sign in to follow this  
Goreshde

Are we still touching after a bump and straight ahead manuver?

I'm not sure I follow your example.

If A bumps into B, then they are overlapping and they can not shoot at each other.  If B hasn't moved yet, but attempts to and can't make it past A, they are still overlapped and can't shoot each other.  This would be true even if it could clear A, but then runs into C but doesn't have enough room to be placed between A and C.

In that case B could shoot C since only the final position of the ship matters.

But in your example, you say it bumps but don't actually say what ship it overlaps.

Let me try to be more clear.

Ship A contacts ship Bs side.

Ship B is a large base and moves about 1 ship length straight ahead before bumping ship C.  It is now in contact with ship A and C.  Did it only overlap ship C?  So can ship A fire at it even though they are touching.

So Ship B is moving at a perfect right angle to ship A? I'd think they probably aren't still touching, but it's weird enough that it's possible the devs would rule the other way.

We have a ruling on ships that are facing the same direction and then both perform identical straight maneuvers, don't we?

Even if its physically touching after the move it only matters if it touched due to an overlap.

Some examples include;

- a ship doing a k-turn and an adjacent ship doing a straight

- a Ship sitting square to an adjacent ship barrel rolling over that ship

- a ship adjacent to a ship that it was touching but has not moved due to overlap of a different ship.

Ship B is a large base and moves about 1 ship length straight ahead before bumping ship C.  It is now in contact with ship A and C.  Did it only overlap ship C?  So can ship A fire at it even though they are touching.

A and B are no longer touching provided that B moves ANY distance (ie. C wasn't already touching in front).  If there was an overlap with A then B would be forced to move off of that as well all the way back to its starting position which could be considered "clear" even though it maintains all touches that were active when it activated.

But the bigger question is, can C fire at D?

;)

No idea.  Where the hell is D in relation to all of this?

Or perhaps you're just confusing this thread with a very similar thread I also see lurking right around it.

But the bigger question is, can C fire at D?

;)

No idea.  Where the hell is D in relation to all of this?

Or perhaps you're just confusing this thread with a very similar thread I also see lurking right around it.

D was flying in formation with E and F. :D

This thread is so confused you cannot confuse it more :D

OP: pls just illustrate that to us, paint will do, cause i guess no one is having a slighters clue what your about :D

I'm not sure why Parravon is trying to confuse things even more.  I thought post #3 was pretty clear about what was going on although there was some room for variations.

It Ship A overlaps ship B and is placed behind it until they are touching. If both A and B do 1 straights are they still overlapping?

Can ships fire if they are touching their target but have not overlapped them?

I know touching an obstacle without overlapping them does not trigger the obstacles effects. I'm wondering if the same rules applies to ships that are only touching one another.

Edited by joliversc

Now I throw the ball to first base, whoever it is drops the ball, so the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow—a triple play.

It Ship A overlaps ship B and is placed behind it until they are touching. If both A and B do 1 straights are they still overlapping?

Can ships fire if they are touching their target but have not overlapped them?

I know touching an obstacle without overlapping them does not trigger the obstacles effects. I'm wondering if the same rules applies to ships that are only touching one another.

1.  Is A's direction parallel to B's movement?  If not some overlap is almost certain to happen should they only be close.

If they are parallel  then the same straight maneuver should leave them in the same relative position they were in at the start of the round except that touching/overlap gets broken in the process.

2.  Overlapping causes touching.  Touching ships can not attack each other.  A few things can keep a touching condition going.

3.  With obstacles you either touched them and suffer their effects or you do not.  The difference may be fine at times but it is one or other other.

OP: pls just illustrate that to us, paint will do, cause i guess no one is having a slighters clue what your about :D

I'm not sure why Parravon is trying to confuse things even more.  I thought post #3 was pretty clear about what was going on although there was some room for variations.

Wow. Does anyone here have a sense of humor at all?

OK I think I understand your intent here.

Ship A comes in on the side of Ship B and overlaps.  With the overlap, you move Ship A back until the front of the base is just in contact with Ship B.

Now Ship B moves straight forward, but is blocked and overlaps Ship C.  Ship B has to move back until the front of the base is just in contact with Ship C.

In doing this - The side of Ship B comes in contact with Ship A, but does not overlap.

Per the rules - Ship B broke the overlap with Ship A and since mere contact does not constitute an overlap - they are not considered to be overlapped (or "touching") 

Ship A should be allowed to fire at Ship B.

Edited by USCGrad90

Wow. Does anyone here have a sense of humor at all?

Yes.  But I'd generally reserve it for sections other than the rule sub-forum.

FYI this was the ruling from Frank about a year and a half ago. After overlapping, you only stop touching once you actually break contact with the ship and don't overlap again. 

J,

It sounds like I understood the situation. So long as the Decimator was executing a straight in this instance it would work. If it tried to bank or turn it probably would no longer be touching.

Frank Brooks

On Jan 9, 2015, at 1:10 PM, J Chav <> wrote:

Hey Frank,

Thank you for your response. 

To clarify the decimator moved about 1/3 of a 1 maneuver forward. It was still touching the X-wing on the side and overlapped the Z95 in front of it.

Thanks,

Subject: Re: Fantasy Flight Games [Rules Questions] - X-Wing
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:05:30 -0600
To: 

Hello J,

In response to your rules question:
Hello,

I was playing in a game where a X-wing banked into a Decimator. He then activated his Decimator and bumped a ship in front of him. He was still 'touching' the X-wing but he claims he spoke to the people at FFG and they said they wouldn't not be considered touching at that point because his Deci performed a non 0 move and didn't overlap the X-wing. 

Is that correct? Can you only not shoot a base touching you if their last move was overlapping each other? Thanks!

No. So long as I understand the situation. Did the Decimator attempted to execute a maneuver  couldn�t complete it and backing up to its starting position? Therefore there were 3 ships: the decimator, 1 �blocking� the front of the decimator, and the one in the side (the X-wing).
Edited by Danath

Being blocked does not automatically maintain touching even if two ships are still physically adjacent.  It is only if a ship is blocked all the way back to its starting point (something was almost certainly touching it's front edge for this to happen) that the ship doesn't count and moving and thus maintains all previous touching conditions.

If you run into the side of a ship and it then moves even a mm ahead after getting blocked then it has broken the touching condition and the two ships are free to fire at each other.