Sign in to follow this  
Lycia

R5-K6 and the Arc170

To add more fuel to this discussion... imagine this scenario...

Shara has R5-K6.

She herself uses the TL, rolls an evade an gets another TL that she cannot use again that round.

Now a pilot with a lower/same skill attacks, can he use the second TL?

R5-K6 specifies that YOU cannot use it that round, meaning Shara, but does that also exclude other pilots?

As I read it, the second pilot can use the TL.

Thoughts?

this has been an ongoing arguement for months now.

"You" or "Your" always refers to that specific ship, not the player. Shara did not spend a targetlock, the other ship did, so she cant trigger R5-K9. HOWEVER, the ship that spent her TL can, as they "spent their targetlock" since "treat the targetlock as their own" is on Shara's card.

This is going to get FAQd purely because its one of those endless bickering arguments on the word "you" despite it being FAQ'd multiple multiple times in the same manner as before.

this has been an ongoing arguement for months now.

"You" or "Your" always refers to that specific ship, not the player. Shara did not spend a targetlock, the other ship did, so she cant trigger R5-K9. HOWEVER, the ship that spent her TL can, as they "spent their targetlock" since "treat the targetlock as their own" is on Shara's card.

This is going to get FAQd purely because its one of those endless bickering arguments on the word "you" despite it being FAQ'd multiple multiple times in the same manner as before.

This particular question hasn't actually been asked before - it was whether another piulot can use a lock Shara has herself regained from one of her attacks, that round.

And the answer to that is not in question, either, it's yes.

Hmm....

"After spending your target lock"

I dunno. I get why people wish it said "after your target lock is spent" - because that'd be unambiguous.

I'd agree with discussing with tournament organisers.

Personally, I'd say yes, if only because R5-K6 is so bleddy useless most of the time. 

I find this interesting because I specifically gave Shara R5-K6 in a game over the weekend for exactly this synergy - the intent was to have my Biggs spend her TL to use R7's abilitiy, and then Shara would roll the defense die in an attempt to gain another TL. I was treating "You" to mean "myself, the player", but on reflection, "you" most likely does indeed mean "the active ship".

The sad part though is that while Biggs spent Shara's TL a few times against Fenn Rau, I kept forgetting to use the R5-K6 (I'm not the best player, but I really love pushing the little ships around  :D )

I find this interesting because I specifically gave Shara R5-K6 in a game over the weekend for exactly this synergy - the intent was to have my Biggs spend her TL to use R7's abilitiy, and then Shara would roll the defense die in an attempt to gain another TL. I was treating "You" to mean "myself, the player", but on reflection, "you" most likely does indeed mean "the active ship".

The sad part though is that while Biggs spent Shara's TL a few times against Fenn Rau, I kept forgetting to use the R5-K6 (I'm not the best player, but I really love pushing the little ships around  :D )

It's not "most likely", it's most definitely. Page 2 of the rules reference:

CARD INTERPRETATIONS
Many Ship card abilities use the word “you” to refer to the corresponding ship. Upgrade and Damage cards that use the word “you” refer to the ship to which the card is assigned.

The use of the words "you" or "your" always refer to the ship and never to the player.
Edited by Parravon

Add another layer of wackiness

I have weapons engineer and r5-k6 together on the ARC.

Can I spend my lock on target A - say to fire torpedoes roll r5-k6,  then use r5-k6 on a successful roll to target lock ship B, and weapons engineer to gain a second lock on ship A and then spend that second lock on ship A granted by weapons engineer to reroll the dice from the attack - triggering R5-K6 again?

Add another layer of wackiness

I have weapons engineer and r5-k6 together on the ARC.

Can I spend my lock on target A - say to fire torpedoes roll r5-k6,  then use r5-k6 on a successful roll to target lock ship B, and weapons engineer to gain a second lock on ship A and then spend that second lock on ship A granted by weapons engineer to reroll the dice from the attack - triggering R5-K6 again?

No. You spend your lock to fire the torpedoes at Ship A, roll for R5-K6 which (on a successful roll) allows you to immediately acquire a target lock on Ship A again, which you can't spend during the attack on Ship A. All the Weapons Engineer can do is allow you to target lock Ship B as well.

R5-K6 states it must be the same ship that you had locked when you spent the lock.