Sign in to follow this  
jhox

New Images of Wave 4, In The Flesh

Why is anyone still surprised when FFG makes a creative mistake in promotions of their product? It's almost comical the errors that are in the write-ups, and the missing Sabine card in the X-Wing Wave 9 preview yesterday too... It's almost like its a game of "Spot the mistake".

If it was closer to the size of the VSD, I would not have any real issue (other then I'm too much a geek from the old EU).  Even in the episode of Rebels, I don't feel that was this large.  It seems to be almost the same size as an ISD.

why does the base size give it shorter movement?

I am really impressed with the look of the interdictor.  Looks much better than on the website pics.  If on a large base it was would be so much more difficult to kill it off.  Plus with a smaller base it is shorter movement.  

If the bases in the photo wind up being correct and the preview was wrong, it could have some interesting implications;

Interdictor + Motti now a 12 hull behemoth with 5 eng. Capable of tractoring Large ships, which in conjunction with the spoiled G8's will mean its would be capable to stopping a non ET'd home one MC80 dead in the water.

Liberty could benefit from Cracken (if it gets speed three). Additionally, its front arc will be smaller by virtue of less base width.

Given how many mistakes we've seen in FFG articles, I think either source could be equally likely, although I assume they will get it right in the individual preview article.

Given how many mistakes we've seen in FFG articles, I think either source could be equally likely, although I assume they will get it right in the individual preview article.

"In our last exciting preview article, we talked about the exciting new ships coming to 'Armada'! In this article, we're going to cover ALL THE THINGS WE GOT WRONG. Sorry guys, our bad!"

To be fair the MC80H1 could almost fit a medium base

These might also be prototype models rather than production, but i seriously doubt the final tooling would be a different size (tooling is mighty expensive). We may just end up with a rather large ship (looks to be between an ISD and a VSD) on a comically small base 

I am really impressed with the look of the interdictor.  Looks much better than on the website pics.  If on a large base it was would be so much more difficult to kill it off.  Plus with a smaller base it is shorter movement.  

Because when you turn, the width of the base is longer and the corner pokes further out.

Longer base means more of the base is closer to where it started. The bigger bases are also wider so they take up more space. While every ship moves the same distance (1 length of the maneuver tool), the larger ones take up just far more space

I get all of that but its not moving a shorter distance that remains the same

Longer base means more of the base is closer to where it started. The bigger bases are also wider so they take up more space. While every ship moves the same distance (1 length of the maneuver tool), the larger ones take up just far more space

I justify it myself in the fact that this *second large ship* is really just an extensive variant of the First...  And the Rebels are Hodgepodge...

Whereas, for the Empire in the OT, all you see is Star Destroyers...

Thematically, I expect the Empire to have Star Destroyers...

Want a Large Ship?  Star Destroyer.
Want a Medium Ship?  Star Destroyer.

et al.

Give an Empire player another choice, and you run the risk of....  Not Having Star Destroyers.

I think that would be more counter-intuitive fluffwise than anything else...

Edited by Drasnighta

I completely agree with Dras' comment above. Imperials are uniform and therefore you're not going to have too many crazy variants on an Imperial star destroyer. More options for a size of ship does not equal more total numbers of that ship type fielded. ISDs outnumbered Mon Cal Cruisers tens if not hundreds of times over in the background fluff, it's just that the Mon Cal custom-built their ships one by one and the Imperials utilized economies of scale to mass produce angry space triangles.

Also I don't like the idea of Imperials not running some kind of star destroyer and/or angry triangle in a game of Armada. That would be profoundly weird. Therefore keeping the Imperials limited to that kind of thing seems reasonable.

That is true. However it does indeed move less than other ships. Due to the size of the ship and the width, you are traveling the second distance but the rest of you is further behind. 

Let's look at it this way. If a 50' 16 wheeler moves 100 feet and a Lamborghini moves 100 feet, which one is further from the start point? 

I will also state now - before someone brings up the Tector class Star Destroyer, or whatever it is...

...  The question I ask is this:

Visually Speaking...  From our gaming perspective...  What is the difference between a Tector and an Imperial?

Bcause I'm pretty sure its something to do with a missing hangar back...  Which, as we know, is totally visible from 3' away with a Miniature that we view...  From Above...

Ergo, I dismiss it as a possibility...  It would be an awesome candidate for a "Ship Card and Token" Pack of "Veteran and Variant" ships...  But we also know that FFG's Business Model won't include those for some time at least...  And may not include them at all for Armada, because X-Wing tends to use them to "Fix Mistakes", and they've stated in the past that Armada allowed them to correct said mistakes they made with X-Wing before they happened...

That is true. However it does indeed move less than other ships. Due to the size of the ship and the width, you are traveling the second distance but the rest of you is further behind. 

Let's look at it this way. If a 50' 16 wheeler moves 100 feet and a Lamborghini moves 100 feet, which one is further from the start point? 

That depends, does a Horse Cross the line when the Nose Crosses, or when the Tail Crosses ?

Edited by Drasnighta

Man, seeing them in the box then seeing them actually, you know, in comparison to something comparable is just delicious.  Both of these look fantastic. I've maintained that the ISD is the best looking ship out there, now I'm not quite so sure. Ly-ly's right, these things are veeery high on my 'want it now!' tantrum list and I'm planning on that jolly red OSL hell glow.  Now there's only three-ish months of waiting and waffling on whether or not to make a pair of Liberties the same battlegroup paint scheme or start a new one.  Verdigris Lady Liberté might be neat.  Bleh. 

Giraffe is dead on though, that Interdictor looks completely comfy on that large sized base and the Liberty seems only slightly envious. I expect that's an error.  Of course, I don't expect the Liberty to be on a medium base even with FFG's occasional mistakes.  Forget the fear of Speed 3, the Hyperspace Assault Liberty would be my go to yellow.

Lets see, Draaaaaas: Tector.  I don't think we've ever been given an official dorsal view of a Tector class Star Destroyer, just the ventral.  Extrapolating from that might not be entirely sound, so the whole thing could look pretty neat depending on how wild they went with it.  Sub an ISD hull with the upper superstructure of a Bellator 'whale' with its heavier emphasis on gun emplacements, give it two braces for being 'armoured' and call it a day. 

Why do the interdictor, when looking from behind, look like the lower rear half is from an 418, while the upper rear half is from an enlarged version of the upper back end of an garage porch? ;)

I'm used to SD's having an diamond shaped sort of end at the rear, not this (Imho) un-estethic mismatch

Edited by Kiwi Rat

It depends entirely, are you running toward something, or running away?

Why do the interdictor, when looking from behind, look like the lower rear half is from an 418, while the upper rear half is from an enlarged version of the upper back end of an garage porch? ;)

I'm used to SD's having an diamond shaped sort of end at the rear, not this (Imho) un-estethic mismatch

Isn't the fluff reason that the Interdictors are an experimental rather than production ship so they don't necessarily follow the imperial design strictures slavishly?