Sign in to follow this  
atkrull

X Wing Famous

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

Why Jack in the Box when you could get Taco Bell?  I feel like they fulfill the same niche, but Taco Bell is edible sober.

The ones in your area must be different from the ones in mine. Out here Taco Bell is great if you need your intestines flushed. Jacks is decent.

58 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The ones in your area must be different from the ones in mine. Out here Taco Bell is great if you need your intestines flushed. Jacks is decent.

Possible.  I've never had that issue with Taco Bell, and I've never Jacks food that was good.

6 hours ago, Chumbalaya said:

That's because you weren't drinking enough. 

Been a while since someone said that to me 

5 hours ago, Biophysical said:

Why Jack in the Box when you could get Taco Bell?  I feel like they fulfill the same niche, but Taco Bell is edible sober.

They aren't in Wi and I had never tried one before. All of the other drunk fast food is definitely better.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, heychadwick said:

Also....I only know who two of those people are!  I'm not a sports guy.  :)

I'll join you in that. The only sport I follow is our local American Football Handegg*, because several close friends either have played or do currently play for our county team; I'm supporting them rather than being that bothered about the sport.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:39 PM, atkrull said:

The difference between list one and list two is obviously the money. But the fame (relatively) is the same. With the emergence of so many awesome podcasts, youtube videos, live streaming events, and more, the fame for those who win at X Wing is inescapable. And I have determined that I want that fame. The great thing about this game is that I can have it if I want it badly enough. Paul Heaver proved that with enough practice and preparation you can take a majority of the luck out of the game and win!

Yes and no. No-one in the street who doesn't know what the game is likely to know who they are, but generic guy in the street might well know 'major' sports figures. But - aside from the money (which I accept is a big 'aside') - reputation only matters within a community you care about, which I my case X-wing is. I am sublimely indifferent to whether I am well-known, and whether my reputation is positive or negative, amongst employees of the North Korean textiles industry.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, heychadwick said:

For me....I'm 45 with active kids.  I live in North Carolina.  I'm no where near all the major events for X-wing.  The biggest thing near me is a Regionals.  I don't have the time or cash to dedicate to go to all those events in the middle of the country.  The whole tournament thing isn't as big to me.  

I understand - by comparison the sheer size of the UK X-wing community (I'd probably point at Games Workshop as the origin point for the UK wargames community), and the comparatively small size of the country  and ease of getting around it, I could probably go to some sort of organised play event every weekend if I was so inclined - and frankly it feels like the more mobile and less attached of my friends do. I'm fine with more intermittent attendance - not because I'm bothered about winning tournaments but because if I have a day free to play, knowing I can get four or five games in one go is a good thing. Getting people to mess around with the scenarios sometimes takes more time and effort than I can be bothered with, since I swear I'm about the only one at the club who is.

*it's not football because the ball is not a ball, and because observation suggests the ball is well down the list of likely things for a player's foot to connect with (after the ground and frankly after members of the opposing team). To avoid giving the impression of nationalism; I should make clear I have exactly the same issues with Rugby Football, but at least the 'Football' appendage is largely ignored in that game.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

2 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'll join you in that. The only sport I follow is our local American Football Handegg*, because several close friends either have played or do currently play; I'm supporting them rather than being that bothered about the sport.

I understand - by comparison the sheer size of the UK X-wing community (I'd probably point at Games Workshop as the origin point for the UK wargames community), and the comparatively small size of the country  and ease of getting around it, I could probably go to some sort of organised play event every weekend if I was so inclined - and frankly it feels like the more mobile and less attached of my friends do. I'm fine with more intermittent attendance - not because I'm bothered about winning tournaments but because if I have a day free to play, knowing I can get four or five games in one go is a good thing. Getting people to mess around with the scenarios sometimes takes more time and effort than I can be bothered with, since I swear I'm about the only one at the club who is.

I'll agree that calling it football doesn't really make sense.  It's also aggravating when the rest of the world already has a sport called football that actually uses your feet to move a ball.  Still, I live where I live and I watch football.  :)

Yeah, you guys in the UK are spoiled for gaming.  I think it's the same for people in the Mid-West US.  Lots of stuff relatively close together.  Traffic is also pretty terrible in places, too.  The best local game store is up a stretch of highway that is horrible.  If I leave work early from downtown then I can make it in 45 min to an hour.  That's only 20 miles.  

It is funny to see that post I did right after I officially quit tournaments and started my podcast.  I started in May and that post was June, so I had just started on it.   Funny.  

I do get that tournaments are about getting games in.  One of the things that killed it for me was the repetition in lists that I was facing.  My last Regional had me facing two identical Bro Bots lists.  I beat them, but......was it worth travelling 3 hours, the money, and the good will of the family to go play against the same boring lists that I had just practiced against?  I decided it wasn't.  With the new edition, things are fresh again and playing lots of games in a row with different people sounds interesting again.

On 6/3/2016 at 3:47 PM, pheaver said:

My wife finds it amusing when we go to GenCon and people come up to me like I'm some sort of rock star. :)

I've never met you, and willunlikely never meet you,but your name comes up in conversation at least once every time I am friends. Not even Tom Cruise is mentioned that much i.e. you are a bigger star than Tom Cruise.

47 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Our trip to GenCon always means we enter White Castle territory.  J-bot and I stop every year.  This past year was not so pleasant on the digestive system as the year before.

The term "slider" isn't intended to describe the way they ENTER the digestive tract...

Those things are nasty.

16 hours ago, gennataos said:

I wanted to emphasize a point that Rasta had already proven...BB-8 can work competitively.  (this is where the tie back to the original post is very vaguely starting)  Also, eff it, being good at some garbage 1.0 list at the end of the 1.0 proved little.

It makes me happy, that in the last days the tides turned - Krennic arrived, reapers starting burning everything to the ground and they have... firing arcs!  Ps9 poe is moving after pretty much everything, for two and a half weeks!  Now BB8 Poe as good or (gasp) even better than R2D2.  Granted, now they've both fallen too far under the power curve (for my tastes), but that's a different issue entirely.

16 hours ago, gennataos said:

tl:dr - A Google search led me to a post from Dallas Parker, which led me to this thread.

saving quoting the wall of text, but ladies and gentlemen, here's a followup.  post meme, receive life story, and it's a good life story.  Would recommend.

I'm X-Wing famous on Instagram it seems along with All.Wings which is kinda cool (@starwarsxwing if anyone wants to check it out), get a fair amount of engagement and players overseas have recognised my friend's ships from the pics of them I have posted which is awesome for them ?

42 minutes ago, Brunas said:

It makes me happy, that in the last days the tides turned - Krennic arrived, reapers starting burning everything to the ground and they have... firing arcs!  Ps9 poe is moving after pretty much everything, for two and a half weeks!  Now BB8 Poe as good or (gasp) even better than R2D2.  Granted, now they've both fallen too far under the power curve (for my tastes), but that's a different issue entirely.

For me, the meta and matchups definitely helped.  Poe did move after most things and my rookies had a zealot PS-killing feeding frenzy.  If I'd ran into a series of reaper lists, I'd have been beholden to variance and things probably wouldn't have gone so well.

42 minutes ago, Brunas said:

saving quoting the wall of text, but ladies and gentlemen, here's a followup.  post meme, receive life story, and it's a good life story.  Would recommend.

Thanks!  When I started that novella, it was intended to be as much about the growth of our local community as it was about me.  But, I'm a person, so I made it about me.  And BB-8.  To follow up, the only reason I continue to play the game is because of the community and how it's grown.  It's pretty great.

Edited by gennataos

1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Thanks!  When I started that novella, it was intended to be as much about the growth of our local community as it was about me.  But, I'm a person, so I made it about me.  And BB-8.  To follow up, the only reason I continue to play the game is because of the community and how it's grown.  It's pretty great.

That is pretty much why I play. I got into it because it's Star Wars, but I stick around because of the great community.

I used to be quite active on the repaint section of the old A Few Maneuvers board and wrote a small blog to document my hobby progress more as a method of keeping track of what I was doing with my life and as a way of holding myself accountable to my hobby goals. At first it was nice to be recognised, the "hey I've seen those ships!" or "I liked your last blog entry!" were quite nice for my self-esteem (I was going through a phase where anxiety attacks or bouts of depression would jump out at me at inopportune moments) and I generally enjoyed doing it.

Then as the community grew, things went downhill. People assumed that because I was a blogger, I must be amazing, and gloated like crazy whenever they beat me (this was true of any any game towards the end). I'd never been the best player at anything, I played for fun, I've won exactly one tournament since Wave 1, so I hung up my notebook and pen and quit blogging. Eventually I quit playing games altogether.

Being "famous" is nice, so long as the people around you respect you, or if you have the mental and emotional fortitude to deal with trolls.  For most people, however, I wouldn't recommend it.

HAHHAHA, oh wow, almost forgot about this post..... oh what 2 years has done. If I knew there was this much work and stress involved in being x wing famous (obviously not for my playing skill) I might have reconsidered. But then again I wouldn't have met all the crazy awesome people I have met in the last 2 years, which has made it all worth it!

I will state that Jack in the Box < Taco Bell which is < White Castle!!!!

Yub Nub everybody!

56 minutes ago, atkrull said:

easy

White Castle

Taco Bell

:P

Where's McDonalds in all of this?  I vaguely remember a conglomeration of a few McDonalds items centered around Gencon, pictured in a group... somewhere...