Sign in to follow this  
atkrull

X Wing Famous

I'm part of the painting/mods group on facebook.  It was both weird and awesome to have someone come up and say "I've seen that ship before!!!" at both Hoth and a regional.  I'm not famous, but my shuttle/phantom are.  I'll gladly sit in their shadows :)

I'm part of the painting/mods group on facebook.  It was both weird and awesome to have someone come up and say "I've seen that ship before!!!" at both Hoth and a regional.  I'm not famous, but my shuttle/phantom are.  I'll gladly sit in their shadows :)

Phantoms.

Shadows.

Geddit? :D

Beautiful post. Couldn't have worded it any better myself.

Ive always been a fan of strategy games & I love Star Wars, so it's like this game was made for me! I love it & even more so the fact that its growing & more & more people are playing it now. Plus like you said,there are some big time heavy hitters, & with enough dedication, practice, & perseverance, that can be us too one day. Or WILL be us one day. ;)

One of the coolest things that happened to me recently, was that I won the Xwing tournament they held at Mobicon & even better than that, they recorded my final two matches! Now i finally have something i can show to all of my friends & family. So it will be more than "hey i play xwing "

Now they can see it in action. :)

Ill be at the final table for worlds one day. Just watch & see.

Who knows, maybe it'll be you standing across from me. ;)

Ive always been a fan of strategy games & I love Star Wars, so it's like this game was made for me! I love it & even more so the fact that its growing & more & more people are playing it now. Plus like you said,there are some big time heavy hitters, & with enough dedication, practice, & perseverance, that can be us too one day. Or WILL be us one day. ;)

One of the coolest things that happened to me recently, was that I won the Xwing tournament they held at Mobicon & even better than that, they recorded my final two matches! Now i finally have something i can show to all of my friends & family. So it will be more than "hey i play xwing "

I'm a little jealous. I have a single game recorded, and it is of me getting my clock cleaned by Aaron Bonar.

I look forward to it!!!!

Ya, I definitely encourage you to keep striving to do better, while flying casual of course.  

To be honest, I was somewhat blind-sided by the pseudo instant-fame from the 2013 World Championship.  I think I had less than 10 games under my belt when I won a bye to Worlds.  Everyone kept encouraging me to go to Worlds but I was skeptical.  I was doing well at my FLGS, but that was the only place I played X-Wing, and it wasn't even my main hobby at the time.  So I figured that if I went to Worlds, the 'big fish in a small pond' would find out just how big the ocean was, and get my butt handed to me game after game.  But I kept winning somehow.  I was ecstatic to just get the movement templates.  Lo and behold I almost went all the way!  It was one of the highlights of my life, and I keep loving every minute of this game since then.

So yes, anyone can make it all the way!  Just remember that having fun is the primary goal (for both players), but there is nothing wrong with wanting to win on the big stage.

When I was a teen, I played chess, now that I am a teen x 4 I play X-wing. Why? It is all about the options. I could play for a year and never run the same optioned out ships twice and the person on the other side has the same possibilities.

When I was a teen, I played chess, now that I am a teen x 4 I play X-wing. Why? It is all about the options. I could play for a year and never run the same optioned out ships twice and the person on the other side has the same possibilities.

This is a beautiful game. The rules are so simple, anyone can learn to play in a half hour, but the real party starts with the card interactions and load outs. So much complexity. I'm a noob, but loving every minute I get to play. I've never had a game weigh so much on my mind. Looking forward to getting into the tournament side once my skills (mainly rules knowledge) gets a little better. Don't care to be X-Wing famous, but would be nice to be known as that guy that it's fun to play X-Wing with.

My favorite is when people I'm talking to ask me if I've seen the band.....that I'm in.

Being just a hair under famous is the most fun place to be.

Lemme guess.....

Drummer? :-D

Edited by FalseError

NECRO'D!

I stumbled on this thread (reason unimportant) and thought it was funny/interesting. 

@atkrull - You're definitely X-Wing famous now! There are a ton of people who are X-Wing famous now, mostly on the power of podcasts.  For the most part, casuals still don't know who any of you guys are.  When a bunch of top players pounced on Hangar Bays for the spot gloss Lando at GenCon, I'm sure most of their opponents didn't see the freight trains coming their way.

I also think it's funny because I didn't start playing until months after this was posted.

Edited by gennataos

Just feel the need to chime in...

i only recognize one name from the OPs first list, and that only because LeBron is from my home town. You seriously CAN’T live in Akron and not have heard of him. I’m deducing from that though that the others are also sports people?

12 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Just feel the need to chime in...

i only recognize one name from the OPs first list, and that only because LeBron is from my home town. You seriously CAN’T live in Akron and not have heard of him. I’m deducing from that though that the others are also sports people?

Best football qb currently playing. Green Bay Packer. 

Lebron. Yawn.

Don't know but the name seems familiar. Definitely sports though.

Overrated Yankee baseball guy. Also yawn. I think he retired?

Jordan Speith won a couple majors, really good young golfer.

Jeter is a horrible baseball team owner, but not overrated as a player. He is ranked in the top 10 of shortstops in pretty much any list you can find.

2 hours ago, Brunas said:

it's important now

Hah, oh boy.  Now that you (kinda) asked, I'm going to subject you to the full "I looked up one thing on Wikipedia and now it's three hours later" rabbit hole answer.  This will tangentially, vaguely, lead into the original topic.  Or, you can go to the bottom for the tl;dr version.

I started playing around October of 2016.  There was no hive mind in the St. Louis area at the time.  People had a friend or two they'd play with along with one regular weekly casual game night at one shop and one sparely populated casual game night at another shop.  There was one shop which had a store championship, with a couple smaller quarterly/monthly kit tournaments sprinkled around at other shops..  People seemed to know each other a little, but it wasn't really a community.  It was a bunch of individuals who got together occasionally.

I started showing up to these smaller kit tournaments in January of 2017.  I did fairly well in them, which led me thinking, "Oh, hey, I might be decent at this game."  I started to do research on the game, listening to podcasts, etc.  I learned about "the meta", but that didn't really apply to St. Louis.  We saw it some, but for the most part, we just didn't glom onto meta lists.  We had favorite ships/pilots, our own hubris when it came to list building, etc.  I'm probably the worst about that, because I've likely run more BB-8 Poe + sloopy Rey in tournaments than anyone...anywhere...ever.

Then, I went to my first store champs last summer and ran into @abell19 playing triple torp scouts...and got crushed.  I'd played against and beaten Paratanni, knew how to handle RAC/lo, etc.  I was absolutely baffled by the triple jumps.  I asked him afterwards what I could have done differently, and he correctly told me "nothing".  I realized there's a distinct difference between jank we play or meta lists flown poorly locally and a meta list flown well.

Fast foward to the end of 2017.  After a small kit tourney, @abell19 and I got to talking about trying to build a more competitively-focused local community.  We haltingly started down that path.  I probably cast the net too wide, which resulted in a ton of noisy chatter, but not really leading to getting better as a whole.  A core group of us gravitated towards each other and some real talk began.  This was around the time you guys put out Listener 4 (@Brunas, @Tlfj200, @catachanninja).  That episode was great, not only for the insight, but also made me start to wonder if I really cared enough to try to get better.

I went to the Chicago regional in January of this year, my first event outside of St. Louis and definitely my first event larger than 20+ attendees.  Our group thought we had the meta right, and we mostly did, but I probably over-prepared for gunboats and promptly hit just a single gunboat all weekend.  Turns out I needed to pay more attention to bombing!  We did have a couple locals make the cut, though (yay, @abell19 and @Chewbobca, The Falcon King!).

My failings at Chicago did make me waver a little on my commitment to getting better, but did absolutely nothing to change my mind about my own self-imposed restrictions (BB-8 Poe and/or sloopy Rey).  Adepticon was sold by my locals as an X-Wing holiday, and it turned out to be exactly that.  I bailed on Poe for the main event, but stuck with Rey along with a cheap Miranda.  I made the first cut, but flamed out when faced with tougher opponents and lists.  I was a little sad, but not too sad, because that weekend was awesome.  I got to meet a lot of people and had a fantastic time!

Our core group continued to hive mind and do well at smaller local events, with an eye towards GenCon.  Then Second Edition news hit.  Oh, ****.  Do we care about GenCon anymore?  Second edition prize support shows Second Edition stuff.  Damnit, maybe we do care a little about GenCon.  Wave 14 hit.  X-Wings looked great while Reapers looked terrifying.  We figured out how we wanted to approach GenCon, with me sticking with my beloved BB-8 Poe because, well, I wanted to emphasize a point that Rasta had already proven...BB-8 can work competitively.  (this is where the tie back to the original post is very vaguely starting)  Also, eff it, being good at some garbage 1.0 list at the end of the 1.0 proved little.

Aaaaand...the point was kind of proven?  A little?  It was to me, if not X-Wing as a whole.  I made top 32, probably missed top 16 due to one silly, greedy mistake.  In an amazing stroke of poor luck, I was paired in the top 64 with one of my core group (The Arc Knight, @Biophysical), which sucked.  I think I'd have had to make top 8 or top 4 to truly make a splash.  It was funny how often I heard about how it'd improve the list if I somehow got R2-D2 on Poe...but Poe never lost all of his shields all weekend, sooooo....whatever.  Admittedly, match-ups helped.  I really did want to win BB-8 templates with BB-8, though.

Through all of this, I've only ever played Rebels/Resistance.  With the announcement of 2.0, I decided I was going to cast off my self-imposed restrictions...for the most part.  I was going to start flying what was good, not what I wanted to be good.  Coming back from GenCon, and with a purposeful bent towards Wave 1 ships, the first list I put on the table for 2.0 was a Howl/Iden Inferno squadron swarm.  I saw immediately the power of the swarm, but I'm not great at it.  No one else locally seems to be interested in running a swarm, everyone is more excited to try out full conversion kit stuff.  While I may not necessarily embrace the swarm and become a "swarm player", I also saw the need for my core group to have a "swarm player" to practice against. 

That idea got me started on researching how to learn to fly TIE swarms better.  My research turned up this comment from Dallas, which made me search his post history for more recent TIE swarm posts from him (which doesn't exist).  His post history led me to this thread.  So,...uh...there you have it.

PS - Our local community has grown a lot, both in size and competitive pursuits. We're a thing, Arch Alliance, with t-shirts and everything.  Feels all fancy.  We're going to be a presence in the Midwest.  We ain't scared and we're coming for all of you.

PPS - Final vague link back to original post.  When Resistance comes out, I'm 100% going to put everything I can into making Poe with BB-8 competitive, ideally, but not necessarily, with Rey.  Regardless of how that proves out from a competitive standpoint, I have every intention of being the best BB-8 Poe player on the planet.  Part of me will be a little sad if he turns out to be really good, because it's harder to be the biggest fish in a really big pond.

tl:dr - A Google search led me to a post from Dallas Parker, which led me to this thread.

13 minutes ago, gennataos said:

PS - Our local community has grown a lot, both in size and competitive pursuits. We're a thing, Arch Alliance, with t-shirts and everything.  Feels all fancy.  We're going to be a presence in the Midwest.  We ain't scared and we're coming for all of you.

giphy.gif