Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

What if FFG made a Ground Game NOT compatible with X-Wing

The problem I foresee with a Star Wars Ground Game is:

Imperials have: AT-ATs, AT-STs, AT-PTs, ATs all over the shop

Rebels have: tauntauns...

Nah, you could get T2-B's, speederbikes, SPMA's, all that stuff from Empire at War.

If FFG made a ground game, and it didn't work with Xwing?

Well, the answer is obvious.

I'd go to the convention they were demoing it at and FLIP THE TABLE!

(Or just write rules to make them work together like I did with the Roleplaying game and Xwing)

Edited by CheapCreep

The problem would be to balance fighters and ground troops. A single Proton Torpedo can totally obliterate an AT-AT and wipe out a whole platoon of regular troops.

If a Proton Torpedo, could easily take out an AT-AT, why wouldn't Luke or Wedge or someone hope in an X-Wing and go blow one up? Instead they flew those Speeders in and used blasters. They had X-wings there, and they were available.

The problem would be to balance fighters and ground troops. A single Proton Torpedo can totally obliterate an AT-AT and wipe out a whole platoon of regular troops.

If a Proton Torpedo, could easily take out an AT-AT, why wouldn't Luke or Wedge or someone hope in an X-Wing and go blow one up? Instead they flew those Speeders in and used blasters. They had X-wings there, and they were available.

Visuals from Ep I indicate that Proton Torpedoes can easily around a yield of 1 Megaton TNT. Of course there are weaker (and cheaper) versions.

Why they didn't used them on Hoth? Using X-Wings under an active shield is a really bad idea. No room to maneuver.

And/or: High yield torpedoes are quite expensive  and the rebellion had trubble to get their hands on some.

Edited by RougeLeader

Except those are 1) not really Rebel machinery (them being a ragtag army and all) and 2) not canon. It'd be like porting a unit from Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and no one would be dumb enough to do that, right?

Visuals from Ep I indicate that Proton Torpedoes can easily around a yield of 1 Megaton TNT. 

Wasn't that another case of "chain reaction causes reactor to explode" rather than the torpedo itself creating a huge explosion?

Yes, we need this game.  I want to play the Battle of Hoth, dagnabbit. IA is the wrong scale.

And I see no reason that the game couldn't be made compatible with X-wing. Use the same rules for aircraft and starships; ground units would probably be limited to slower movement speeds and alternate moving/firing.

Visuals from Ep I indicate that Proton Torpedoes can easily around a yield of 1 Megaton TNT. 

Wasn't that another case of "chain reaction causes reactor to explode" rather than the torpedo itself creating a huge explosion?

A Torpedo hit the shielded outside of the control ship and created a fireball of over 300m diameter.

Why do you think they'd HAVE to eventually include X-Wings and TIEs?  I think you have a pretty good dividing line -- ships that can operate in space go to X-Wing, ships that can't stick to ... Star Wars: Surface Attack or whatever it's called.  

Because we've seen X-Wings and TIE fighters (as well as other space-faring ships) show up flying In-Atmosphere and contributing to the ground fight MANY times, and even recent!

Right, but just because it has occurred in the films doesn't mean it has to be part of the scope of a ground-based game.

Speaking as someone who loves table top games and loves Star Wars, I would like to point out a problem with a Star Wars speeder/walker scale game.  The ATAT.  Clearly this would have to be one of the central units.  But in a tactical sense it sort of sucks.  Sure it has a lot of fire power, and near impenetrable armor, but it moves so comparably slow and has a relatively narrow firing arc.  Assuming your opponents can hurt it at all (and let's face it if they can't the unit is broken) why couldn't a rebel player just get behind the ATAT and stay there.  In Empire Strikes Back every scene you see of speeders attacking the ATAT's is from the front, but that is the totally worst way to do it.  It works in a movie because all it needs to do is look cool, but on a table top it would be pretty boring.

I REALLY think a ground game is coming.  And I'm not talking about Imperial Assault, I'm talking about a ground game using AT-STs, AT-ATs, snowspeeders, and whatever else type of ground-based vehicles we see in Rogue One.  Heck it could even have Clone Wars - era stuff too possibly. 

But Suppose they did it, and made it in the same scale as X-Wing, but made the games incompatible!  And worst part yet, you know they're eventually going to have X-Wings and TIE Fighters for the ground game...

Would you buy into a game like that?  If it wasn't compatible with X-Wing?   And If your answer is no.... would you change it to yes if it WAS compatible with X-Wing? (this way you don't have to re-buy x-wings and tie fighters etc).

No, I want a proper 28mm wargame. Imperial Assault is a neat dungeon crawler like Hero Quest or Space Hulk before it, but I want something like Flames of War for Star Wars. In 28mm.

Edited by Chucknuckle

IA has vehicles though, a few anyway

so...the ground game exists :P

it's not at the AT-AT scale, but X-wing isn't at the ISD scale either. Whether or not we'll see an Armada scale x-wing ground battle, well I personally doubt that. X-wing's biggest competition in the miniatures market seem to be warhammer and warmachine, both involving larger scale ground battles.

IA isn't a miniature game. Minis there are more of counters :C

I think 1/270 (same scale as x wing) would work well, but for massed battles lately I have favored 15 mm; the individual troops are still well detailed, and the vehicles feel appropriately large and there's a significant difference between them and infantry.

Though the thought of having a Gozanti hanging over the battle dumping TIE fighters and supporting an AT-AT column would be awesome :)

IA isn't a miniature game. Minis there are more of counters :C

They are in pretty much all miniatures games. Remember, wargames used to be all cardboard counters. Miniatures were just added to provide visual WOW!! Factor. No reason you couldn't play x-wing, armada or most any other miniatures game without the miniatures.

I fear such a game would force me to buy in, because FFG Star Wars.

That said, I have been able to resist Imperial Assault (because X-Wing/Armada). (Okay, I will now stop using the word 'because' followed by couple of nouns.)

I think that FFG should create such a game. I like the idea of using 15mm scale - which is about the size of the individual figures they produced for SW:Rebellion. At the same time, I'm not really sure I want them to do so because I'm already a bit annoyed by the dispersion of my local community into the three/four games we have.