Sign in to follow this  
Chucknuckle

The ARC-170 pilots...

Corran in an E-wing, Tycho in an A-wing, Stele in an X1, ect...

It will be ok. Just breathe.

Tycho in an A-wing...which is exactly what he flew at Endor. And Stele flew pretty much everything in the TIE line.

Stele never flew the X1. He flew almost ever other TIE that is currently in the game save for the FO stuff and anything beginning with 'P'.

V-wings have an astromech as well, and the Empire used those for at least 5 years. (Expect to see the V-wing in a future wave, especially given that Tarkin piloted one.) And Vader flew an Eta-2 Actis until he got his TIE Advanced. (Not so sure about whether that will come to X-Wing, since Vader apparently the only person to pilot one during the Galactic Civil War era.)

Because its very difficult to make definitive statements without knowing the whole picture - and we won't have the whole picture until there are enough complete storylines written from Aftermath-to-Force-Awakens.

Wrong era for an ARC-170, no?

Kinda seems more likely that we'd see these pilots in 'Rebels' or 'Rogue One' flying an ARC-170, before they later transfer into the fighters they are more commonly associated with.

Leia flew an N-1...the Rebels flew whatever the hell they had available, including stolen Ties and some ancient freighter converted into a gunship. 

Star Wars is about firing up your imagination! How boring it would be if we had to confine characters to the ships they first appeared in, especially in a game that mixes material and eras like Xwing.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but having the pilots confined anyway, but confined OUT of the ships they actually flew and confined INTO ships they NEVER flew is just a little puzzling. It'd be like getting Han Solo, but only in a Z-95, and Luke, but only in a B Wing, or well, ANYONE in a ship they never flew.

Star Wars is about firing up your imagination! How boring it would be if we had to confine characters to the ships they first appeared in, especially in a game that mixes material and eras like Xwing.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but having the pilots confined anyway, but confined OUT of the ships they actually flew and confined INTO ships they NEVER flew is just a little puzzling. It'd be like getting Han Solo, but only in a Z-95, and Luke, but only in a B Wing, or well, ANYONE in a ship they never flew.

Tycho, Corran, and pre-Veterans Stele would like you to come and share a beer with them.

They've got a few stories to tell...

i'll take them in the interesting new (to x-wing) ship over their fluff ships anyday

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

You're entitled to your opinion.

It is, of course, wrong, but you're entitled to it all the same.

Just an FYI, I keep you on my ignore list. I clicked 'read it anyway' because you've replied to my thread, but I won't be making that mistake again in the future, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to you again in this thread.

Okay, first that is extremely arrogant and narrow-minded of you when he is indeed correct when it comes to how FFG design things.

If we were to go by the Legends/New Canon and put people in the ships they are associated with, Corran, and Tycho would be in X-Wings. Keyan, would be in either an X-Wing or a Y-Wing. Etahn A'baht, Lt. Blount, and Airen Cracken wouldn't even be in ships at all.

FFG have to fill ships with pilots and they usually do that through generic names which they did in the Force Awakens Core set, and something I hate (seriously, I hate that I have a pilot called "Blue Ace" as a pilot name.) They also have to get approval from Lucasfilm about it as well.

Now you state that it would be like having Han Solo in a Z-95 and not a YT-1300, that is true but there is a massive difference between Han Solo, a staple character who appeared in the films...and someone who has a throwaway reference in a book that maybe no one will read? Like it or not there is still a prestige among characters and where they get assigned. If you appeared on film or TV as a character and were seen in a ship, you will be in that ship (or the ship most associated with). Characters from books are fodder for being put in anything that FFG need to put them in.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have these 4 interesting ARC-170 pilots in place of A-Wing and X-Wing pilots. Yes Y-Wings need new pilots, but hopefully we'll get that in the future.

So for now, yes, fluff takes a backseat to gameplay when fluff CAN be reasonably compromised.

Fair enough! For me, I really wanted the ARC-170 and the new canon pilots in the game. This seems to be an elegant way to get both (although I would have loved to see Shara in an N1). Ultimately, I think it came down to FFG wanting to limit the number of rereleases of the same ship model and avoid standalone cards (Most Wanted being the only notable exception). If you take those limitations, which I think are good for the health of the game, then you need to make some compromises with lore.

Why doesn't anyone else think they are double sided?

The most likely reason; there would have to be at least two more cardboard tokens for the ship bases. As the display fan picture only shows two cardboard ship plates, and four pilots, we likely do not get the pilots in their initial appearance ships.

Why doesn't anyone else think they are double sided?

Because they're obviously triple sided.

quad sided actually

you have to peel the double sided pilot cards to get two whole new double-sided cards!

Yeah but one's a card back.

i'll take them in the interesting new (to x-wing) ship over their fluff ships anyday

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

You're entitled to your opinion.

It is, of course, wrong, but you're entitled to it all the same.

Just an FYI, I keep you on my ignore list. I clicked 'read it anyway' because you've replied to my thread, but I won't be making that mistake again in the future, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to you again in this thread.

Okay, first that is extremely arrogant and narrow-minded of you when he is indeed correct when it comes to how FFG design things.

If we were to go by the Legends/New Canon and put people in the ships they are associated with, Corran, and Tycho would be in X-Wings. Keyan, would be in either an X-Wing or a Y-Wing. Etahn A'baht, Lt. Blount, and Airen Cracken wouldn't even be in ships at all.

FFG have to fill ships with pilots and they usually do that through generic names which they did in the Force Awakens Core set, and something I hate (seriously, I hate that I have a pilot called "Blue Ace" as a pilot name.) They also have to get approval from Lucasfilm about it as well.

Now you state that it would be like having Han Solo in a Z-95 and not a YT-1300, that is true but there is a massive difference between Han Solo, a staple character who appeared in the films...and someone who has a throwaway reference in a book that maybe no one will read? Like it or not there is still a prestige among characters and where they get assigned. If you appeared on film or TV as a character and were seen in a ship, you will be in that ship (or the ship most associated with). Characters from books are fodder for being put in anything that FFG need to put them in.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have these 4 interesting ARC-170 pilots in place of A-Wing and X-Wing pilots. Yes Y-Wings need new pilots, but hopefully we'll get that in the future.

So for now, yes, fluff takes a backseat to gameplay when fluff CAN be reasonably compromised.

I think then-Col. Airen Cracken and Lt. Blount actually did fly Headhunters during the pre-ANH era in Legends. And Tycho definitely flew A-wings through Endor prior to transferring to Rogue Squadron. And didn't Keyan Farlander pilot every major Rebel fighter?

Yes, fluff takes a back seat, and it's AWFUL. I would much rather have four blandly named generic pilots (Red ace, Red Leader, etc) than using named pilots that don't fit the ships.

The mechanics are ultimately separate to the skin. You can lay any skin over those mechanics and they'll work just the same. Frankly, the mechanics of this game are pretty average, and it's only the skin that is it's saving grace.

And in this case, they've laid the wrong skin over these mechanics. They'll work just the same no matter what the names of the pilots are, but it's jarring and grating and just plain wrong to use those names with these ships.

I'm actually excited.

These pilots are perfectly likely to show up in the 'right' ships later. Stele did, after all; I see it as entirely possible for future releases to keep up the same trend.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have these 4 interesting ARC-170 pilots in place of A-Wing and X-Wing pilots. Yes Y-Wings need new pilots, but hopefully we'll get that in the future. So for now, yes, fluff takes a backseat to gameplay when fluff CAN be reasonably compromised.

Yes, fluff takes a back seat, and it's AWFUL. I would much rather have four blandly named generic pilots (Red ace, Red Leader, etc) than using named pilots that don't fit the ships.The mechanics are ultimately separate to the skin. You can lay any skin over those mechanics and they'll work just the same.

You are the only one on the forums who would prefer generic uniques. To even suggest such a thing is downright offensive. So what if they took some obscure characters and shoved them into the Arc? It's not like the ship had any real pilots of its own.

Edited by HolySorcerer

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have these 4 interesting ARC-170 pilots in place of A-Wing and X-Wing pilots. Yes Y-Wings need new pilots, but hopefully we'll get that in the future. So for now, yes, fluff takes a backseat to gameplay when fluff CAN be reasonably compromised.

Yes, fluff takes a back seat, and it's AWFUL. I would much rather have four blandly named generic pilots (Red ace, Red Leader, etc) than using named pilots that don't fit the ships.The mechanics are ultimately separate to the skin. You can lay any skin over those mechanics and they'll work just the same.

You are the only one on the forums who would prefer generic uniques. To even suggest such a thing is downright offensive. So what if they took some obscure characters and shoved them into the Arc? It's not like the ship had any real pilots of its own.

Maybe, then that makes me the only one with good sense! If you need pilots for a ship, and there are none, then you INVENT SOME. You don't cram pilots in there that have no business being there. The ship will fly just the same whether the name is Shara Bey or Red Ace, but one is jarring and clashes with the established background and the other doesn't.

It's almost like they are running out of iconic ships for the Rebellion to fly.

The Imperial's have a plethora of ships, from the ever listed after Gunboats to more obscure things like the TIE Hunter, the only ship I can think of that the Rebellion doesn't already have are things that would fit better in the scum line up, like the Skipray.

I honestly think we might see more prequel ships for the Rebellion, since it would make sense they would steal, beg, and buy old ships that they could use to fight the Empire with. Don't need top of the line ships to hit convoys in backwaters, or raid a checkpoint.

Unless we want things like Grey Squadron Ywing expansions as a wave release, which is just a grey Ywing with more pilots rather than anything new.

And for all we know, for the ARC pilots could have been on orders of Disney to get some of the new canon stuff into the game, asap. And since the intent is to show that the ARC was extremely rare (hence no generics), they followed Disneys instructions and put the new pilots into the newest Rebellion fighter.

Edited by Crazyterran