Sign in to follow this  
Chucknuckle

The ARC-170 pilots...

Gameplay matters more than fluff, and $$ matters even more than gameplay. FFG will be happy to release these pilots in whatever they fly in whatever book or comic in whatever bonus expansion they release at a future date. There was no reason to not use full canon characters as the pilots for a ship which has no known named pilots. It's simple really- They needed named pilots for the ARC, they found some from recent sources they could reasonably believe flew them at one point, and they slapped them on there.

And when they slap them in a Y-wing and an A-wing a couple years from now, we will buy that too.

And either way, I'm getting to the point where I just make up my own X-wing miniatures game canon anyways. This is a minor, minor fluff issue when you consider Biggs flying with K-wings and E-wings or Poe and Snap flying next to their 20 year younger mothers.

And either way, I'm getting to the point where I just make up my own X-wing miniatures game canon anyways. This is a minor, minor fluff issue when you consider Biggs flying with K-wings and E-wings or Poe and Snap flying next to their 20 year younger mothers.

Now I want a canon storyline for X-Wing Miniatures. 

An alternate path of history where Darth Vader and Biggs Darklighter are alive, the First Order and Resistance are subfactions of the ongoing war between Rebellion and Empire, Horton Salm piloted a Y-Wing and Norra Wexley piloted an ARC-170 into the Death Star 2, some random Kihraxz pilot named Talonbane Cobra is more well-known than Jabba the Hutt, and Boba Fett when not piloting a ship enjoys riding an Advanced Homing Missile straight into the exhaust pipe of an unfortunate bounty. 

Going further into the other FFG Star Wars games, Admiral Screed (AKA the guy from the Droids cartoon) is one of the most feared fleet commanders in the Imperial Navy. 

Edited by WingedSpider

An alternate path of history where Darth Vader and Biggs Darklighter are alive, the First Order and Resistance are subfactions of the ongoing war between Rebellion and Empire, Horton Salm piloted a Y-Wing and Norra Wexley piloted an ARC-170 into the Death Star 2, some random Kihraxz pilot named Talonbane Cobra is more well-known than Jabba the Hutt, and Boba Fett when not piloting a ship enjoys riding an Advanced Homing Missile straight into the exhaust pipe of an unfortunate bounty. 

Going further into the other FFG Star Wars games, Admiral Screed (AKA the guy from the Droids cartoon) is one of the most feared fleet commanders in the Imperial Navy. 

Uh, well... Horton did kind of pilot a Y-wing. Canonically. As Gray Leader. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Horton_Salm#Endor

Uh, well... Horton did kind of pilot a Y-wing. Canonically. As Gray Leader. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Horton_Salm#Endor

It's a joke because in the new canon Norra Wexley was stated to be the Y-Wing flying into the Death Star 2 (Replacing Horton Salm), but in X-Wing Miniatures Norra Wexley pilots an ARC-170 instead and exists alongside Horton Salm.

Edited by WingedSpider

i'll take them in the interesting new (to x-wing) ship over their fluff ships anyday

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

You're entitled to your opinion.

It is, of course, wrong, but you're entitled to it all the same.

Just an FYI, I keep you on my ignore list. I clicked 'read it anyway' because you've replied to my thread, but I won't be making that mistake again in the future, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to you again in this thread.

"I am so much not talking to you anymore. I am just wanted to tell you this. I am not talking to you anymore, do you hear me!? Hey, is this channel open, I am kind of not hearing his response to me telling him to shut up."

Yeah, whatever. Keep rambling like an idiot. Looks good on you.

Edited by SEApocalypse

It's a joke because in the new canon Norra Wexley was stated to be the Y-Wing flying into the Death Star 2 (Replacing Horton Salm), but in X-Wing Miniatures Norra Wexley pilots an ARC-170 instead and exists alongside Horton Salm.

That's fair enough, but when I read Aftermath, it didn't strike me as Norra being the only Y-wing pilot who made it in, just one of them. Though you may be right and I just need to re-read the book, which I'm totally fine with. :)

And even then, I just assumed that there were more fighters than were shown on screen. Because I watch ANH and I say to myself "What on earth was Keyan doing the whole time? Flying in circles and chatting with his astromech?"

That's fair enough, but when I read Aftermath, it didn't strike me as Norra being the only Y-wing pilot who made it in, just one of them. Though you may be right and I just need to re-read the book, which I'm totally fine with. :)

And even then, I just assumed that there were more fighters than were shown on screen. Because I watch ANH and I say to myself "What on earth was Keyan doing the whole time? Flying in circles and chatting with his astromech?"

You're probably right, I just heard Norra Wexley was that particular on-screen fighter.

Either way, in the X-Wing Miniatures timeline she instead piloted an ARC-170. :P

Edited by WingedSpider

Who cares? It's a game. You can have Poe fighting Vadar, who died like at least 20 years before Poe was a pilot. The fluff in this game doesn't have to make sense.

The thing I'm more annoyed about is how goddamn ugly the Arc-170 is, but maybe it'll grow on me like the K-wing didn't.

Vader didn't die. He became one with the force.

Who cares? It's a game. You can have Poe fighting Vadar, who died like at least 20 years before Poe was a pilot. The fluff in this game doesn't have to make sense.

The thing I'm more annoyed about is how goddamn ugly the Arc-170 is, but maybe it'll grow on me like the K-wing didn't.

Vader didn't die. He became one with the force.

Nice nitpick, but:

Anakin Skywalker became one with the force, his alter ego Darth Vader was killed.

Captain nitpick... AWAY!

But the longest and oldest thread begging for an Assault Gunboat... And we are now approaching wave 10 with NO hope of one?

I'll be honest, I don't think you are getting one. The fact that this wave consists only of stuff seen on screen leads me to suspect that until the assault gunboat pops up in Rebels or Rogue One, it's not going to be touched.

I wonder if you might see it in Rebels, too. It'd be nice to see the 'names in the background' characters get some screen time, and one story rebels hasn't touched is the whole "origin of the X-wing" thing; they're definitely around by Rogue One. With the Y-wing being a clone wars holdover, and the A-wing and B-wing (albeit prototype) already seen on screen, it feels like they're deliberately avoiding the X-wing for story reasons.....

Plus it'd pair nicely with the lack of generic pilots that these are literally the only four. It's not like the rebel fleet is big at this point.

Part of me would love to see it tied into A New Hope by having Garven Dreis or Jek Porkins be one of the pilots...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

So much nerd Rage in a topic about the awesome new content FFG brings to our favorite game. It makes me kinda sad for some of you.

So what if it isnt EXACTLY what YOU wanted. Its new, its shiny and I can't wait to go pew-pew-pew with these ships and cards on the tabletop!

Star Wars is about firing up your imagination! How boring it would be if we had to confine characters to the ships they first appeared in, especially in a game that mixes material and eras like Xwing.

Perhaps all of these skilled pilots had to prove their mettle on outdated material, before being assigned to the ships they all flew at the battle of Endor! I like how the pilots are each associated with one of the four classic rebel ships in that regard.

Per the strategy guide: Keyan was in the Y-wing that escaped (along with Luke, Wedge, and the Falcon), and you're actually playing Luke for those three missions over the Death Star.

i'll take them in the interesting new (to x-wing) ship over their fluff ships anyday

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

You're entitled to your opinion.

It is, of course, wrong, but you're entitled to it all the same.

Just an FYI, I keep you on my ignore list. I clicked 'read it anyway' because you've replied to my thread, but I won't be making that mistake again in the future, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to you again in this thread.

What could fickle have done that hurt your fee-fee's so badly? Have you never used the internet before?

I like how the pilots are each associated with one of the four classic rebel ships in that regard. 

This is becasue they will be in those ships on the flip side of their cards. Double sided Pilots. That's why there are no generics, FFG are giving us a new pilot of each X,Y,A and B wing along with this new ship, and an interesting choice to make between having these guys in one ship or the other.

Edited by Talonbane Cobra

i'll take them in the interesting new (to x-wing) ship over their fluff ships anyday  gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

You're entitled to your opinion.It is, of course, wrong, but you're entitled to it all the same.Just an FYI, I keep you on my ignore list. I clicked 'read it anyway' because you've replied to my thread, but I won't be making that mistake again in the future, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to you again in this thread.

Lol, nice meltdown.

I like how the pilots are each associated with one of the four classic rebel ships in that regard.

This is becasue they will be in those ships on the flip side of their cards. Double sided Pilots. That's why there are no generics, FFG are giving us a new pilot of each X,Y,A and B wing along with this new ship, and an interesting choice to make between having these guys in one ship or the other.

If you are going to have delusions, you might as well have satisfying ones.

That would actually be pretty awesome.  I'd slap your grandma to get more Rebel Y-wing pilots (with EPTs).

I think it all fits. Double sided cards at father day event and adaptability, same pilots in different ships now due to Imperial Veterans and the fact that this is a clone wars era ship being bought in to the rebellion era AND using pilots that are "meant" to be in other ships AND using 4 of them when they could have had generics, that's 2 lots of things to annoy people.

The the fact that these are X,Y,A and B wing pilots. I really think they had to have thought of this as a way to make people happy. Easy enough to get it signed off on as an opportunity to potentially sell other expansions off the back of this one too.

I'd slap your grandma to get more Rebel Y-wing pilots (with EPTs).

You will have to dig her up first.

Edited by Talonbane Cobra