Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

So mixed species isn`t just a Star Trek thing then?.. ok, MIX`EM UP!

That`s kind of interesting! I didn`t even know hybrids was a thing in Star Wars. That`s fun!

Then again, I am the kind of guy that thought Star Wars aliens were much more interesting when they were a bunch of mysterious, diverse and strange creatures in a Cantina, without names, before they became defined names on a list. Guess that`s kind of what I really liked about the new movie, a lot of unknown species that make the Galaxy seem huge and diverse again, opposed to the series(I like those too) with the fixed and established species.

But this hybrid thing, both legends and canon, makes things interesting again! I can even accept near-humans in Star Wars now, without thinking they would fit better in Star Trek :P

Which species would you like to see in your game, play a mix of or just imagine for fun? What would be your most interesting mixes and why? :D

Personally, I don’t see the need for any particular hybrids.

There’s plenty of space in the galaxy to increase the number of known species by many orders of magnitude, and each one of those could be weirder than the last.

Sure, you could do hybrids. But that would be pretty boring, IMO.

Note that I am not opposed to the concept of hybrids, but if you wanted to play one in a game I was running, you’d have to give me good reason why this hybrid exists, with specific details of the biologies of the respective parent species and how they can be sufficiently compatible with each other that they can result in a hybrid.

But maybe that’s just me.

I think I'd go Chiss/Mirialan. Sure, it seems simple at first glance, but if you think about it there's some interesting things that could happen there.

I too would love to play a Red-Eyed Face Tattooed Purple Guy McPurpleface  :D

Didn't put much thought into Hybrids tbh.

From the Clone Wars episode, referenced in the Link of the OP, I assumed that interracial offspring would just result in the one of the two species (dominant genes and whatnot). Since those kid look destinctively more Twi'lek than Human.

That's also how I would handle it mechanically, if one of my PCs wanted to play a hybrid, I'd grant them the racial stats of the dominant parental species. Everything else is flavor.

Personally, I don’t see the need for any particular hybrids.

This for me, just my personal choice.  As others have said, it seems to be a Star Trek thing.

I think the only exceptions we made was for humans and zabrak.

I think we had a discussion once that all the tentacle-head races (twi'leks, nautolans, chagrians, togruta) probably had a common ancestor too.

From a narrative/background standpoint I would let a PC do whatever the @#$% they wanted for how their character looks. When they start trying to tell me how to mix and match the mechanics my answer will be pick one.  If they have some completely not covered race idea I always default to picking one in the books already that we'll simply re-skin and use it's mechanics.  Maybe we can swap a racial starting skill rank, but that's it and given the current variety probably not needed.

For me, I'm not really a fan of it. I feel that there is enough diversity of aliens to play that there is no need to play Mr. Potato Head and create a new unique hybrid. I think Trek did it to mainly save on money...remeber the half black half white alien played by Frank Gorshin (The Riddler)?? Great alien design there...

Anyway, I'm not saying people who like this are wrong, but for me, it doesn't make any sense, but if a player really wanted to play a half breed, whatever, but you get the worst part of the each species. Then think of the social stigmatism there would be be, they would be hated by everybody. Especially conflicting species like Mon Cal and Quarren.

I have mostly seen this from power gamers trying to "game" the system and get the best of both worlds. For them it has nothing to do with with an interesting Charcater, just how can I better max out my rolls.

So for me as a GM, I tend to stay away from this...not even getting into the complete ridiculousness of interspecies breeding. If two different Earth related species can interbreed, there is no way two independently evolved species that share no common root could ever reproduce.

Edited by R2builder

There was a old legends/EU "tales from Mos Eisley Cantina" or a similar book that hada a quote to the effect of if members of two different species found each other sexually attractive, it meant that they could probably breed (no guarantee that the offspring wouldn't be sterile though)

But really, with some restrictions I would let my PCs play halfbreeds you just pick the species traits of either parent (no mixing). I'd also (with some restrictions, e.g. number of limbs granting a free maneuver) let players resin the stats of one species as another, for example if someone wanted the stats of a gank or klatoinian but wanted to look human or duros or twi'lek or chiss, go for it.

Gungwok!!!

See what I did with just one word???

Two great tastes that taste...

You know what? I can't even bring myself to finish that sentence sarcastically. And on the whole, I actually LIKE gungans.

Me, too! I've gone on record as a Jar Jar fan. I can understand why most people around here don't share my fondness for him. As the board's official sassy teen, I feel it's my job to remind them of him, though. When Maelora says I gave her nightmares, I can only think, "Mission accomplished." :)

Wait, the board has official positions? What does that mean mine is? Or do I even have one?

Uh-oh, I'm scared now...

You're the oracle. Using the power of Math, you can predict when product will be hitting the shevles.

The curious thing - to me - is that it seems that despite Star Wars being all about, you know, Wars. Among the Stars. While Star Trek is supposed to be a utopian human society exploring space... 

If you ever watch Star Trek - like actually watch it - you'll find that the hybrids generally tend to have problems. Spock was fortunate to be the product of two mostly open-minded (albeit secretly xenophobic) species. Sure he had problems as a child, but once he grew up, nobody human or Vulcan seemed to have a problem with him. K'Ehleyr (half-klingon, half-human, and Worf's baby's mother) didn't seem to have much problem with it. Although, to be fair, the Klingons respect anyone who has a warrior spirit and fights with the Klingon version of honor... and humans are, well, humans.

But the others?

There was the Romulan prison camp where they had permanently detained the Klingons captured during the Khitomer massacre. Which had basically become a mixed Romulan/Klingon colony... but the moral conundrum for the episode was that the prisoners could be freed, but if they were, they would never fit in anywhere. The Romulans wouldn't look kindly on the half-Klingon children and the Klingons would take an even less kind view, as the children were half-Romulan and their Klingon forebears had suffered the dishonor of being captured. 

Another one was Nora Ziyal, a Cardassian-Bajoran, who hated living on Cardassia because she was looked down on for being half Bajoran and similarly hated living on Bajor because she was treated as a total outsider due to her Cardassian blood. 

But Star Wars? While I can see insular societies looking down on hybrids, it seems to me that it's not generally an issue, although I imagine that it could be one if the story needs it. Of course, that might be why we don't see so many characters in Star Wars where they are a hybrid or at least where being a hybrid is part of their character: Because, for the most part, it's not an issue. Being a hybrid doesn't normally effect their interactions with the rest of the galaxy. 

Although, I suppose that it might in the Empire. Given the mass enslavement of wookiees and twi'leks (and however many other races the Empire enslaved), I imagine that there could easily be hundreds or thousands of Ziyal-like human-insert species here hybrids: Their mother or father being a member of the Imperial military or an Imperial civilian diplomatic mission and their other parent being an enslaved species. And thus they would find it difficult to live in the Empire as their alien parentage would cause them to be subject to Imperial pogroms and while their human parentage might be sufficient to get them into an Imperial academy, it is unlikely to be sufficient to keep their peers, superiors, and subordinates from being bigoted against them. Similarly, they would likely find no peace among the peoples of their alien parent, as they would be a plain and obvious reminder of Imperial oppression - although fear of Imperial retaliation would keep anything too untoward from happening. (Species that tend to treat all others of their species - and even friends of other species - as family, like perhaps the Togruta - might be the exception. Although I doubt any Imperial officer would want their child growing up as a slave among slaves and would probably much rather push them into joining an academy and being given the opportunity to "prove" themselves before the Empire in combat. The alternative being to send them to live in the Outer Rim, which for many officers would probably be considered a fate worse than slavery, even though it might be the only place they can go where they can be free and not judged primarily by who their parents are.)

ETA: And any hybrid child whose mother or father is an Imperial officer might see their life get even worse after the Restoration of the Republic, as the parent whose patronage helped keep them from being too overtly discriminated against by either the Empire or their other parent's species would be effectively stripped of all their power and might even be deemed a war criminal and hunted across the galaxy and/or imprisoned. Or join the burgeoning First Order - which has doubled down on the Empire's xenophobic tendencies. 

Edited by Vigil