Sign in to follow this  
ironkodiak

Let's talk about the Shadow Caster from Wave 9!

Seems easier if each ship from the preview had it's own topic rather than people constantly adding to the pages and pages of main "Wave 9 Revealed" topics.

-First things I noticed was that the debris cloud has deployment nubs like bombs.

The debris cloud reference card refers to dropping debris like bombs, and the leftmost upgrade card (the illicit) on the bottom row appears to be something like "Rigged Cargo Container".

You can clearly see "ACTION:" and the word "DROP" on the card. 

Shenanigans that change something normally constant in the game are always cool. Dropping debris seems fun, I just hope the card isn't too expensive.

-Also, I noticed that the ship gets's large ship ID tokens a first for the game. To make it even more interesting, they included zero as one of the numbers. Looks like you get 2 large tokens and one small to put on your card.

-Not related to the contents, but related to the rules, an upgrade card that removes the turret icon on a ship in exchange for a mobile firing arc (and probably a bonus of some kind like rerolls or negating an opponent's evade roll) would be very cool. It would be hard because most ships don't have base tiles cut into 4 quadrants, but not entirely something that we might never see.

This might be the thread to include head scratching over the number of Pilots as has been focused on by another thread. (Sabine Wren doesn't appear in the fan group.)

Also seeing Large Ship Only labels on some of the upgrade cards (Rigged ___, Counter Measures, Tactical Ja___), whereas Gyros__ Targ__ looks to be Pursuit Craft Only.

I have a friend who flies Rebel say the Caster has him thinking of going S&V! I am definitely pondering picking up at least one IG-2000 now.

Sadly my initial reaction is that this is the worst ship in the wave. So stats are like a firespray and the cost is the same. Thankfully it at least still has the evade action. Moving the arc requires an action, yuck. I'm not seeing amazing upgrade cards either. Possibly best one is crew IG-88. Tractor beam is great, except there are so many large base ships out there which it's fundamentally weaker against. I was hoping this ship would be like the ghost, primary arc with a turret upgrade slot.

To end on a happier note, I like the looks of wave 9 overall. The fang fighter is way more important to scum than yet another large base ship. But I do like the choice of the Shadow Caster. If Sabine's pilot ability is excellent, that would sell me on this ship.

I appreciate the looks of the ship, and the title looks super fun. I just can't see myself dropping $40 for this. It doesn't appear to be much of a game changer like the Decimator was for Imperials. Sure, the new arc rule is interesting, but it seems inferior to a traditional turret, so why would I fly it? Plus, I already have 4 different large-based Scum ships. I don't really want another.

It's a fun-looking ship, but it doesn't look important enough for me to add it to my collection.

If Sabine's pilot ability is excellent, that would sell me on this ship.

She's been spoiled, and her ability is fairly "meh":

"When defending against an enemy ship inside your mobile firing arc at Range 1-2, you may add 1 <eyeball> result to your roll."

Too many heavy requirements for it to be good. In Mobile Arc (which takes an action to set) AND range 1-2 AND it only adds an eyeball, so you need a focus.

She has no EPT, just crew + illicit slot x2, so no PTL for her, so you'll want to take the Focus action, BUT you will eventually need to move your Mobile Arc, which is an action.  There's a mod that likely lets you move the MA when you take a high speed maneuver (3-5), but that takes the Mod slot so no EU (and adds to her cost).

All that said, I'm just glad to have a scum version of Sabine.

I also look forward to pooping Debris clouds all over the place, though given the set only comes with 1 cloud I'm guessing you have to discard the upgrade that lets you poop Debris Clouds to do it.  So only one per ship.

This stuck out to me.....

...and force your opponents to suffer the lingering effect of tractor beam tokens that are not removed during the end phase.

I know the articles are written with inaccurate grammar sometimes, but this infers that this ship will be able to assign multiple non-removable tractor beam tokens.

Intriguing.

swx56-sabine-wren.png

We already know Sabine's ability. It's Asajj Ventress that really interests me.

So Sabine is really good with glitterstim, and I suppose you could take 2 glitterstim with the double illicit slots. That actually sounds decent as I write it out. But yeah, no EPT :(

I have a feeling that the mostly hidden "gyro targeting" card will be very important for this ship. If it allows you to move your mobile arc for free somehow, at a reasonable point cost.

Actually, the generic could end up being best pilot if the cost is right. I wish scum had a firespray cheaper than 35 points and hopefully Shadow Caster generic will be 31 or even 30 points.

WHAT! I just noticed it has a 3 bank green showing on the dial. No need for unhinged astromech.

This stuck out to me.....

...and force your opponents to suffer the lingering effect of tractor beam tokens that are not removed during the end phase.

I know the articles are written with inaccurate grammar sometimes, but this infers that this ship will be able to assign multiple non-removable tractor beam tokens.

Intriguing.

It looks like the Ketsu crew card lets you pick (likely one) tractor token that doesn't go away.  It's "tokens' because it's not tied to a single particular token.

We already know Sabine's ability. It's Asajj Ventress that really interests me.

Where do you see Ventress??

I'm not a big fan of the ship itself, but it seems to add some fun mechanics to the game.

Of all the ships in the game so far, this one feels the least Star Wars-y to me. Hoping it has time to grow on me.

Sabine + Dengar crew, glitterstim x2, countermeasures

Gives a 3 attack ship rerolls without action. Action the arc for defense. Pop a glitterstim, perhaps the countermeasures if being focused down. Now you have 3 green dice for defense + 1 eyeball from ability, and changing all eyeballs to evades. Tie swarm cant touch this.

Also, does this mean two feedback arrays possible? Doing 2 damage instantly?

This might be the thread to include head scratching over the number of Pilots as has been focused on by another thread. (Sabine Wren doesn't appear in the fan group.)

They must have updated the image (or people are blind), since Sabine is totally in the fan when I'm looking at it.

I like the interaction of Ketsu and the title.  Give her VI to get up to PS9, point your mobile arc forward (assuming you can do so) and you guarantee her ability triggers on anything that you get in range 1 in front of you.  Then if you hit, the title triggers.

Looks cool, with the title giving auto tractor tokens to a ship in the mobile arc, though it's what latts crew does the interests me, with the removing a stress when defending to something makes it another scum crew that I'm going to have to squeeze into my lists

Also, does this mean two feedback arrays possible? Doing 2 damage instantly?

I'm guessing not. But Feedback Array plus Deadman's Switch is now very possible.

Double feedback isn't a thing, as it falls under the "once per opportunity" rules.

Feedback and Deadman's switch works, I guess, though I don't see why I'd every do that with this ship, personally.

So Assigning a tractor beam token. Does it give just the -1 to agility or does it also have the movement effect? I can't seem to find the reference card for tractor beam and can't remember the exact wording.

Yeah just receiving the token is all you need to trigger the movement effect.

Wow ... this thing can dump two tractor beam tokens automatically. I just realised how gross this will be against palp aces. Ketan dumps his at the start of the combat phase. I have a feeling that between the anti-ace YV666 builds and this thing, scum will be able to knock palp aces off their perch pretty soon. 

Edited by The Inquisitor