Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Wave 9 Revealed!

Vector Thrusters is crazy exciting.

How many points does this need to cost for it to see widespread use, assuming it only gives access to the barrel roll action? I'm thinkin' two points is the magic number.

0, literally 0. I mean, it's going to be 1 point so we won't have 5 unpronounceable fighter players having to buy 3 arcs, but it's worth 0

I'm not kidding, all it does from the card text is give you the b-roll action on your bar in place of your mod slot.

Even if the x-wing could stack it with IA, it'd still be below the B-wing ito jousting efficiency (slightly) but then at least it could also roll

2 points would be if it were ACTION: perform a free barrel-roll action and then assign an evade token to your ship

but there's not enough text for that

I'd disagree with that assessment. Seems like you're really undervaluing this card.

You might be right if we were talking about the X-Wing specifically, as there's the additional opportunity cost of losing IA, but I think there are a ton of ships and a ton of pilots that gain more value out of this than 1pt worth.

So 4 pts isn't worth it for Engine Upgrade? I think it will be 2-3 points, because it will give a very powerful action to almost all ships.

boost and b-roll aren't exactly the same thing

not to mention VTs are small ship only, so we can't put it on EU's biggest offenders (literally biggest, ie large ships)

last time I saw EU on a small ship was Vader, and then very few Corran horns before him (not dash corran; no room for EU on both)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Ya I can see both sides of this argument. Engine is an unfortunate costed card. It's great on large base for 4 points, not so great on small base for 4 points unless you are PS 9 and cost efficient to start with. So... pretty much Vader and sometime Corran.

With this new BR mod being small ship only, we are going to have a lot easier time pricing it efficiently for small bases. I'm gonna say that Fickle is under valuing BR a bit, but not much. I can see it being 1 point, but I expect it to be 2.

However: Expert Handling.

Of course the Vector thrusters can be equipped by generics without EPT, but it is eating the mod slot!

Compare to Expert Handling, while being an EPT, and thus only aces have access, does add barrel roll AND removes a target lock while Barrel Rolling, at cost of 1 stress.

So 3pts would be a bit too much imho.

Ya I can see both sides of this argument. Engine is an unfortunate costed card. It's great on large base for 4 points, not so great on small base for 4 points unless you are PS 9 and cost efficient to start with. So... pretty much Vader and sometime Corran.

With this new BR mod being small ship only, we are going to have a lot easier time pricing it efficiently for small bases. I'm gonna say that Fickle is under valuing BR a bit, but not much. I can see it being 1 point, but I expect it to be 2.

it's really not that valuable

even in the case where you can get z-95s to be sorta tie fighters, the point cost is going to ruin their jousting efficiency

and zs are some of the most cost effective jousters in the game, so that effect only gets far worse as you go along the rest of the cast of x-wing miniatures

x-wings won't look at it twice with IA.

empire seems to literally only have the punisher to benefit from it, and (if you're fielding it AT ALL) you're not taking away g-chips or LRS (or if you're deathrain, you can just be deathrain)

over in scum, the g1-a has its title although it is unique (have not seen many g1-as, though, so the unique limit isn't a huge deal). this leaves us with Ys and the HWK (probably the winners)

it seriously gets to the point where you're looking at some exceptionally corner cases, and I'm talking HWK here, before it'll start seeing any use. TLT carriers might get a kick out of it, esp Jan/kavil with their nice VIed pilot skill. Palob packs all his mods with him if rolling Dengar + his ability, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind rolling around either.

Not sure if I'd work it on Miranda, since she tends to be pricey as is and SLAM is a costly, but very effective means of running around as is. long range scanners, even without ordnance, is also a very useful thing to have

Course, vectors are also available on the lovely ARC where it may see some play provided you're not messing around with some of the sexier combos (mostly involving r3-a2, which'll shut the mod down, and bb-8 which makes it mostly redundant)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Vector Thrusters and Prow Thrusters have basically telegraphed the future X-Wing fix. Something to let you take a second mod at a reduced price.

I've been thinking this would be a solid, simple boost to T65s for a while.  You could stack IA with Guidance Chips and add a Torpedo if you wanted to bump your offense or you could stack IA with one of the Thrusters for whatever utility they offered.

A Rookie Pilot could have an R2 Astromech, IA, some Torpedo, and Guidance Chips for 24-26 points.  That starts feeling like what an X-wing should be in this game.  Reasonably tough, with good dogfighting firepower, and a pretty dangerous torpedo shot it can deliver once a game.  

Vector Thrusters and Prow Thrusters have basically telegraphed the future X-Wing fix. Something to let you take a second mod at a reduced price.

I've been thinking this would be a solid, simple boost to T65s for a while.  You could stack IA with Guidance Chips and add a Torpedo if you wanted to bump your offense or you could stack IA with one of the Thrusters for whatever utility they offered.

A Rookie Pilot could have an R2 Astromech, IA, some Torpedo, and Guidance Chips for 24-26 points.  That starts feeling like what an X-wing should be in this game.  Reasonably tough, with good dogfighting firepower, and a pretty dangerous torpedo shot it can deliver once a game.

Yep. Hopefully it's a title and not a torpedo slot drop like Chardaan.

The article makes mention of TBeam tokens that don't disappear at the end of the round, and I was thinking Razzi or Onyo (Crew) might be who does that. Ventress' pilot ability doesn't seem to be worded for it, for example. 

I was thinking that the "Gyro Tar..." upgrade might be it - allowing the turret to maintain a "lock" with it's Tractor Beam. (the turret being required by the Title/Ketsu to create the tractor beam in the first place)

At PS 7, VI will be an autoinclude.

The R2-D2 Astromech and C-3PO combo will be nice.

I don't see it changing the meta at all. It's aux arc attacks are only relevant against aces at range 1.

I could also see using it as an alternative to the stresshog Y-Wing. R3-A2, Gunner, and Flechette Torpedoes throw out 3 stress across two attacks and tactician works out of the rear arc also. You can already do 3 stress with a Ghost, TLT, Gunner, FCS, Tactician but your whole squad is based around it.

So I had an idea that's either brilliant or idiotic.

Assuming fearless is a 1 point scum only talent that is a mirror of the title. (giving a hit if you and the target are mutually in arc at range 1)

4x Tansari Point Veteran with Fearless and Autoblaster for 25 points.

I can't imagine that it will be a single point. Upgrades that add an extra die to your roll are usually 4 points. ATC is 5 points and is the only other upgrade that I can think of that adds a favorable result instead of just a die to roll. Needing to be in your opponent's arc at at range one may cause it to be less expensive, but dropping it to a single point seems a bit overboard. 

sh*tty upgrades that add to your roll are 4 points

Fearlessness, if copying the title, is HIDEOUSLY situational and really shouldn't be more than 2 points. Gotta remember the real estate it's eating up; probably only see it on As

This is pretty much it. It adds a die, but is WAY situational, with needeing them in in arc, you're in their arc, and you're at range 1. Which means unless you're Fenn Rau, it won't work against the high ps arcdodgers who will never be at range 1.  And by it's very nature, it means you're taking a range 1 shot back to be able to trigger it (unless you're higher PS and kill them first).

Vector Thrusters is crazy exciting.

How many points does this need to cost for it to see widespread use, assuming it only gives access to the barrel roll action? I'm thinkin' two points is the magic number.

Three points isn't really enough of a discount over EU that you'd want to put it on filler ships like PS2 Z-95s or K-Fighters, but one point may be too cheap. What do you guys think?

Tala Squadron Pilots at 15pts a pop with PS4 and Barrel Roll for additional blocking options seems like it might have a place in the meta. I'm also interested in the kind of possibilities that open up for Y-Wings and HWKs if they can gain cheap-ish access to BR.

I run Kfighters Black Sun Aces with expert handling for funzies Vs. Newer players and it does help with the ship a bit. If it was 1 I think it would see a lot of use and at 2 it probably still works. 3? Nope.

So I had an idea that's either brilliant or idiotic.

Assuming fearless is a 1 point scum only talent that is a mirror of the title. (giving a hit if you and the target are mutually in arc at range 1)

4x Tansari Point Veteran with Fearless and Autoblaster for 25 points.

I can't imagine that it will be a single point. Upgrades that add an extra die to your roll are usually 4 points. ATC is 5 points and is the only other upgrade that I can think of that adds a favorable result instead of just a die to roll. Needing to be in your opponent's arc at at range one may cause it to be less expensive, but dropping it to a single point seems a bit overboard.

ATC probably isn't the best measure for such things since it has a few extra considerations: on an advanced, title discount, on an advanced, not even that popular outside of Vader, didn't fix the advanced.