Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Wave 9 Revealed!

I'm feeling the glut. I haven't even tried a lot of lists that I'd like to because I don't have the ships, and now they're dumping more out.

And these are likely to have upgrade combos that make purchasing them "necessary" to be competitive.

Sorry to break it to ya, but that's how this game goes. You buy the new wave to keep up, or you scavenge with what you have to try to make something work, usually fruitlessly.

Now what's nice is stuff from older waves sorta works, so you don't have to buy everything, but, you usually do have to buy something.

You're forgetting they will be shipped on these:

cargo.png

X-wing is not Warhammer or whatever other spody table top wargame you've played. It's a dynamic modular game that needs to have a fair bit of pick up and play and the cards help that a lot.

There's a cost to wanting to be like that for sure, part of that cost is making sure that every expansion you release is usable totally without anything but the core set. they don't want to be selling rule books separately they want to sell it like a board game so that casual people that see cool star wars toys aren't put off.

You have to accept that x-wing is not going to be like your other tabletop games but it is a good game and they are doing their f**king best and all you can do is sit on a forum wining about it, and we know the designers read this stuff, and they have just done a big reveal of ships full of cool stuff and they must despair at some of the ridiculous things people complain about, and this title thing is one of them. 

I bet they are really happy with the sweet title mechanics, using titles as they intended, and they have a browse around to see what opinion is like and there's some unfathomable complainers pointlessly poo pooing all their hard work

I mean....really?  

Edited by Talonbane Cobra

For goodness sake no please. We have tons of upgrades on ships to keep track of. Making it nearly impossible to use upgrades in an Epic game. Now suggesting that we have reference cards for each ship that we need to refer to on top of everything else.(1) It's not a different kind of card.  It's a reference card.  Those already exist.

Please FFG don't do this. I'd rather see X-Wing 2.0 before this.

P.S. I know we have them for arcs, mines, bombs and such already. I'm just saying not for individual ships now too.

You already have what you're railing against.  It's just that as it is now you call it a "Title," and you need one for each ship you have, whereas with a reference card, you'd only need one for each ship class you have.

I guess one thing to consider, now, is that as a title card it is subject to Boba Fett discarding it, whereas if it were a reference card that would not be the case.

I am not sure it's a huge difference, and I doubt someone is really going to burn Boba Fett to remove Alliance Overhaul, but it is a thing that could happen.

Norra Wexley with Veteran Instincts, Sabine Wren (crew), BB-8, Seismic Charges and Extra munitions.

Going to be fun to move as PS9 in front of someone and when you reveal green maneuver you can adjust yourself (if need be) with BB8 barrel roll and then drop seismic that does 2 damage thanks to Sabine.

And then you still have your rear arc where to shoot from if seismics didn't kill your target. Soontirs better be careful when behind her :)

I think that is possible as both BB-8 and Bombs are "When you reveal your maneuver.."

I'm feeling the glut. I haven't even tried a lot of lists that I'd like to because I don't have the ships, and now they're dumping more out.

And these are likely to have upgrade combos that make purchasing them "necessary" to be competitive.

Sorry to break it to ya, but that's how this game goes. You buy the new wave to keep up, or you scavenge with what you have to try to make something work, usually fruitlessly.

Now what's nice is stuff from older waves sorta works, so you don't have to buy everything, but, you usually do have to buy something.

This isn't my first rodeo. I'm just sad to see it happen so fast after getting into the game.

He definitely died in TPM. Full stop.

No he didn't, George Lucas himself brought him back in the Clone Wars TV show.

You don't understand. It's really stupid. and I don't accept it. I really don't care if you think it's good or not. I just meant it's a shame I have to boycot Rebels now too. 

Your loss and a stupid decision to boot.

... and the Star Trek ship is from Rebels??

Yep. That ship doesn't look SW at all. :(

As I said in another thread, it is disappointing that ships that showed up for 20 seconds at SW Rebels are included instead of an EU ship that has a follow for the last 20 years.

At least, they did a good job in this Wave. I'm afraid they are trying too hard to make ships unique (overdoing titles), though. 

Well, Gunboat for Wave X.

Actually, the Shadow Caster has 2min 54sec of screen time.

And what a blessing that is. If you kept looking at the ugly thing for full 3 minutes it would most likely burn your retinas.

FFG's design department made the K-Wing look pretty cool in three dimensions and not even they can save this cluserf***.

Gonna have to agree it's probably the worst looking ship in the game yet. The whole Rebels cartoon-esthetic really needs to be worked around in this game. The Ghost isn't a bad ship model by any means, but those colors really don't fit. Same goes here. 

And I really hope this is the last time they pull from sources such as Rebels so hastily. 5 of the last 9 ships are from Rebels. Hoping it cools down a bit from the cartoon material for awhile.

But rebels makes money. So Mouse wants FFG to make them, so they all get more moolah in the end. 

That being said the TAP model came out really well, but it's hard to mess up a TIE fighter (unless you pull from X-wing alliance). I do agree though the Ghost model could use some more dents and scratches and dings though. 

I suspect that this wave was pre-engineered as with Wave 8, in conjunction with the TFA and rebels content entering the game, so maybe next wave we'll get more things along the lines with stuff like Imp vets and HOTR.

This isn't my first rodeo. I'm just sad to see it happen so fast after getting into the game.

This is ridiculous. They are only needed if you go to a tournament. Other than that, print out what you need from the internet. When playing with my friends I NEVER bring ship cards or upgrade cards. I just print out what I need on one sheet of paper and play. I don't even use shield tokens, I just cross numbers off the paper. I use combinations of all kinds of cards I don't actually own and so far the FFG police have NEVER shown up at my house.

Now if I was super Tournament guy.. yeah.. id buy what I need. But frankly even at local game stores near where I live, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. Worse come to worse, Id just print out a photocopy of the card and slide it into my card protector over the top of a different card. If someone throws a fuss... they can not play me. Its just a game.

Tournaments... that's different. Support FFG, get your cards. But I don't care about tournaments. Im just playing the game.

Edited by DiggityDug

Hmm, Nora with Deadeye, Rec Spec and R5-P9 with a Proton torp/chips could give you 5 hits on your Proton Torpedoe with an assured critical result, possibly with a focus left for regen or just use the regen later. If you're really wild, put the Advance Proton Torpedoes in there.

And Jan Ors on support ;)

... and the Star Trek ship is from Rebels??

Yep. That ship doesn't look SW at all. :(

As I said in another thread, it is disappointing that ships that showed up for 20 seconds at SW Rebels are included instead of an EU ship that has a follow for the last 20 years.

At least, they did a good job in this Wave. I'm afraid they are trying too hard to make ships unique (overdoing titles), though. 

Well, Gunboat for Wave X.

Actually, the Shadow Caster has 2min 54sec of screen time.

And what a blessing that is. If you kept looking at the ugly thing for full 3 minutes it would most likely burn your retinas.

FFG's design department made the K-Wing look pretty cool in three dimensions and not even they can save this cluserf***.

Gonna have to agree it's probably the worst looking ship in the game yet. The whole Rebels cartoon-esthetic really needs to be worked around in this game. The Ghost isn't a bad ship model by any means, but those colors really don't fit. Same goes here. 

And I really hope this is the last time they pull from sources such as Rebels so hastily. 5 of the last 9 ships are from Rebels. Hoping it cools down a bit from the cartoon material for awhile.

But rebels makes money. So Mouse wants FFG to make them, so they all get more moolah in the end. 

That being said the TAP model came out really well, but it's hard to mess up a TIE fighter (unless you pull from X-wing alliance). I do agree though the Ghost model could use some more dents and scratches and dings though. 

I suspect that this wave was pre-engineered as with Wave 8, in conjunction with the TFA and rebels content entering the game, so maybe next wave we'll get more things along the lines with stuff like Imp vets and HOTR.

Ya business is business, and if it makes them more money, it's the right move.

Having said that, I'm not 100% sold that the Shadowcaster is going to be pulling in loads of cash. I was aware of the ship, but by no means did I hear even Rebels fans screaming for its inclusion. The Fang fighter, on the other hand, I heard a number of players ask for and it is a relatively smooth and sleek design with nice color tones. In the end, I can't point you to a better option for Scum which would be pulling in more cash anyways. But I sure can point you to a number of options I personally prefer aesthetically!  :lol:  

So one thing I noticed: Ketsu Onta can target friendly ships with her ability.  Now granted, you don't often want to reduce the AGI of friendly ships, but it is still kind of amazing.

Friend need to boost or BR into/out of arc?  Here ya go.

Friend stuck on a rock and you desperately want to shoot.  Here buddy.

Enemy tractor beam about to toss your ace onto a rock/debris field?  Only the first token actually grants the forced movement, so here.  -1 AGI is a drawback, sure, but it sucks less than being thrown onto a boulder and not getting to attack.

I like it.

Now that I have finally made it through all 21 pages here are my thoughts. I really really really hope The Fang has an interceptor dial if it doesn't have alot of greens it will die fast. I see it as an arc dodger that dodges every ones arc except 1 ship that it picks out and destroys. So here is hoping scum finally get a good ship for using PtL on. 

The Shadow caster is the Tractor beam trick ship. Free tractor beams without having to shoot a tractor beam? I am all over that. Tractor beams are control options and I love control ships. 

Special forces tie looks good but accuracy corrector is auto include. Having the auxiliary arc is cool.

The Arc I like them but I can never seem to fly rebels well. 

Scum will have to have ships pulled from non movie sources, I am good with that because the movies are not about scum in any way. They are about the rebels and imperials though, fully, so I personally would appreciate more movie good guy bad guy tie-ins. (get it, TIE-ins) Ahh the sound of crickets I miss you so.

This is ridiculous. They are only needed if you go to a tournament. Other than that, print out what you need from the internet. When playing with my friends I NEVER bring ship cards or upgrade cards. I just print out what I need on one sheet of paper and play. I don't even use shield tokens, I just cross numbers off the paper. I use combinations of all kinds of cards I don't actually own and so far the FFG police have NEVER shown up at my house.

Now if I was super Tournament guy.. yeah.. id buy what I need. But frankly even at local game stores near where I live, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. Worse come to worse, Id just print out a photocopy of the card and slide it into my card protector over the top of a different card. If someone throws a fuss... they can not play me. Its just a game.

Tournaments... that's different. Support FFG, get your cards. But I don't care about tournaments. Im just playing the game.

Oh ya if you aren't worried about tournament play and your play group is fine with proxies, by all means, print away. But for sure don't walk into a tourney with a proxy and expect to be given a free ride.

So one thing I noticed: Ketsu Onta can target friendly ships with her ability.  Now granted, you don't often want to reduce the AGI of friendly ships, but it is still kind of amazing.

Friend need to boost or BR into/out of arc?  Here ya go.

Friend stuck on a rock and you desperately want to shoot.  Here buddy.

Enemy tractor beam about to toss your ace onto a rock/debris field?  Only the first token actually grants the forced movement, so here.  -1 AGI is a drawback, sure, but it sucks less than being thrown onto a boulder and not getting to attack.

I like it.

Wow. That's really interesting. Not a bad option to get out of arcs. Who cares if you have reduced agility if no one is shooting you?

Now that I have finally made it through all 21 pages here are my thoughts. I really really really hope The Fang has an interceptor dial if it doesn't have alot of greens it will die fast. I see it as an arc dodger that dodges every ones arc except 1 ship that it picks out and destroys. So here is hoping scum finally get a good ship for using PtL on. 

The Shadow caster is the Tractor beam trick ship. Free tractor beams without having to shoot a tractor beam? I am all over that. Tractor beams are control options and I love control ships. 

Special forces tie looks good but accuracy corrector is auto include. Having the auxiliary arc is cool.

The Arc I like them but I can never seem to fly rebels well.

Accuracy Corrector is good, but there ar too many things that 2 booms can't hurt for it to be an"auto-include" on anything that doesn't rhyme with Hempest Odd One Eyelet, particularly given that it's always competing with Fire Control System, one of the strongest offensive upgrades in the game.

I don't think the Fang needs a crazy dial to be good in the context of Scum lists that aren't short of options for ships that demand your opponent focus them down first. Having some cheapish glass cannons to hurt your opponent for wanting to get your HLC Aggressor/Dengar/U-boat/Bounty Hunter Party Bus/Mist Hunter off the board first seems like it could be a good thing.

I don't play just with a circle of friends. I play at a local gaming pub, and so the people playing are more casual than a Regional, but less casual than a few guys playing in the living room. And we do the Store Championship thing at our pub, and some of the odd formats, like Furball.

I think there's a huge swath of player's you're not considering.

I'll play until I get tired of the expansion treadmill, and then stop. It's not like I threatened to Cuisinart a baby.

Edited by Koing907

swx56-sabine-wren.png

People were saying they didn't see her in the fan but she is linked, not sure if people clicked on it.

She's in there, people are just blind.

Edit: they also edited the pic haha

Edited by Tbetts94

If Rebels are getting the Arc does that mean Imps will get Droid fighters?

This doesn't make much sense to me...Republic Navy became the Imperial Navy....

The Rebels are "Alliance to restore the Republic", while the Imperials are the Sith controlled faction. Just like the separatists. Though I would not bet any money on separatists ships.  

Besides the Y-Wings and Z-95 are as well old republican ships from the clone wars. We now have basically all the main republic star fighters, well except for the V-Wings. I want now V-Wing strike fighters and interceptors. :D

(The Jedi star-fighters variants are somewhat non standard outside of jedi hands) 

What annoys me is that there is no attention being given to the remnants of the Empire that are still "original/ loyal to the old Empire", not those new wannabee's FO.

Personally my heart goes out to Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon, and his faction.

I'd like to see him as a crew card.

Also, I'd like to see some ships which are supposed to be Imperial, but which are currently rebel, on the Imperial remnant side.. :ph34r: