Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Wave 9 Revealed!

I believe that the Vector Thrust modification upgrade that comes with the Arc-170 gives both the barrel roll and evade actions.

If that's the case, I can't wait to see PGS's reaction. Now EVERYONE is an arc dodger! Yaaay!
I ONLY HOPE THERE IS ENOUGH ICE-CREAM FOR EVERYONE'S FAAAAAACE

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (16 pages is too much to go through), but I love how FFG just gave Scum a better TIE Interceptor. And wait for it, the Ace of the group has 5 attack and 4 defense at range 1. And by love I mean the opposite of that.

It's almost like FFG was like "Stop complaining about Imp Aces, here's this ship. Now STFU."

To be fair, Scum got a new PS9 ship that throws 5 dice, but Imperials got one that shoots 8-12.

And it can make sure there's a minimum of 8 hits with accuracy corrector.

Thats a miniswarm worth of fire, very interesting indeed.

Quickdraw + Baffle + Rage:

Action phase attack with rerolls on all attacks this round (potentially 4 in total), plus a floating focus token. You need Epsilon Leader or Wingman or something to do it every turn, but it could be an amazing turn.

Quickdraw + Baffle + Stay on Target:

Dial in a speed that keeps you out of bumps/trouble, then adjust for opportunistic shots.

Speaking of opportunistic...

Quickdraw + Baffle + Opportunist:

Shoot with 4 dice, and shoot again.

And after that ,die in a blaze of glory,imperial style. I like it!

Yeah, the quote system can be weird.

Hmm....different points.

The T-65 is a jouster, but the one thing everyone says it needs is some sort of repositioning ability.  I think there is still room to have a jouster that can also Barrel Roll and Boost.  I think it almost makes them a better Jouster as it ensures that you have someone in arc to actually shoot at.  Combine this with the title for defense helps.  Also, Predator, Fearless, or something else can help with the dice modifications while it can re-deploy somewhere to get a good shot.  

Oh, Darth2Face just said it better than I can.  "It's got the tools to joust against arc dodgers."  

I'm thinking that FFG believes there is too much arc dodging going on these days.  There have been a number of things that can hunt Soontir Fel down specifically.  The meta is curently overrun with Imp Aces or Pal Aces.  I think this whole wave has a lot of things that can help deal with arc dodgers.   The new Tie Defender titles are going to be quite popular.  I think they will bring back jousting some.  I think the days of the arc dodger being the only good thing on the table are numbered.  At least, that's what I'm thinking.  I could be totally wrong.  I think it's going to be ships like this and the Tie Defender titles that will make jousting powerful enough again.  

There are also things in here that can help the Kihraxz Fighter.  The mod to give it Barrel Roll is a start.  Fearless might also be really cool to help increase it's damage potential and make it a nasty ship.

As for Mobile Arc, I just see it as a new and interesting way of doing things instead of ANOTHER PWT.  I'm all for it.  It's interesting and new.  Others have kind of touched on it.  It's a way of making an interesting and useful aux firing arc.  Some pilots, like ketsu Onyo would prefer to have it in their front arc with a target there, but now they have the option to fire out a different arc that they can change for an action.  That's not a bad thing.  

For ways to give a Focus for Sabine, yeah, there aren't a lot.  You can do Squad Leader, Manaroo, Outlaw Tech, and Glitterstim.  Yeah, Manaroo might not want to dump her stuff on Sabine every turn, but she doesn't have to.  You better believe that there are turns when she will really want to use her ability, though!

Yeah, Darth2Face did have a good take on it.  A hybrid arc dodger/jouster seems like a good description.  The issue remains that arc dodging is generally longer lasting than jousting.  Add in that a lot of the Fang's upgrades seem to require R1 and you'll just have arc dodgers staying at R2-3 (see: The Inquisitor).  Heck, non-dodgers at R2 are bad news for the Fang.  Still, that's why the Fang has BR/Boost native I guess.  We'll see, maybe I'm just jaded given FFG's history with scum small base ships.

As to helping the Khiraxz, I greatly look forward to the cost of Vector Thrusters.  I feel like that will kind of make or break the card.  EU takes the same slot and is 4 points.  If it's cheap it might be a decent option, if not, well, we wait for Scum Aces.

Mobile Arc: again, I have no issue with the mechanic itself.  It simply remains to be seen if the mechanic itself is elegant enough to be viable. 

Recon Spec for Sabine seems pretty obvious to me. 

Not a bad option.  With the range and position requirements, I am not sure how often you will have multiple ships attacking you from a place you can use her ability, but at least she can have the focus for offense and defense.  Outlaw tech is probably not a terrible option, depending heavily on how much red ends up on the dial.  Else making sure she always has at least one dose of Glitterstim will be a requirement.

It's a crew though, nothing ties it to shadow caster. Trandoshan slavers with IG cannon ability would be pretty good.

Yup!  Like I said in another post, Party Bus wins again!

Oh, the Shadow Caster being able to drop debris like a Mine is going to be awesome, too.  I'm sure you can snooker some players into running through that stuff.  

This is what I look forward to most with the Shadow Caster.  Works well on a low PS pilot too.  "Hello there ace, take a good look at this debris cloud. Because that is your immediate future!"

Oh, I totally forgot about Gyroscopic Targeting card.  It does something with your Mobile Firing Arc during some part of the turn.  How much you want to bet that it will let you move it for free during some part of the turn and not take an action?   That way you can use Sabine's ability if you buy the upgrade.  

Almost certainly what it does, though given it has a speed requirement (3-5 from the looks of the card) we will have to see how useful it ends up being (given Sabine has a range requirement for her ability).  It being a Mod also means no EU for the Shadow Caster, though at least it looks like the Caster has a generous dial (given green 3 banks).

If vector thrust does indeed add the barrel roll AND evade Action, I expect it to be expensive.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

I mean, we've also got 2 more named pilots we have no idea on the abilities of, as well as the R3 astromech ('Once per...' what?  Once per turn after you receive a focus token, get an evade token and stress token?  Who knows...)

LOTS of other things in that expansion could be the reason for the evade token...

Edited by xanderf

First, many are looking at the card and seeing 'Old' and assuming it say master but the ship token says 'Old Teacher' not 'Old Master'

[Edit] I could be wrong

So your idea is to issue a different kind of card that does everything the title would do, except take up the title slot. I understand the objection, I guess, but not the vehemence.

(1) It's not a different kind of card.  It's a reference card.  Those already exist.

For goodness sake no please. We have tons of upgrades on ships to keep track of. Making it nearly impossible to use upgrades in an Epic game. Now suggesting that we have reference cards for each ship that we need to refer to on top of everything else.

Please FFG don't do this. I'd rather see X-Wing 2.0 before this.

P.S. I know we have them for arcs, mines, bombs and such already. I'm just saying not for individual ships now too.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

That's what I meant: it would be a card that accomplished exactly the same thing the "auto-include" titles do, without taking up the title slot. That's a very small difference.

It's not a small difference from the standpoint of the things I mentioned: ease of changing things they want to change; a new player purchasing a ship and getting the fixed ship, not needing to make another purchase for a balanced ship; and so on.  IMO, those are good changes.

It's an absolutely tiny -- even non-existent -- change in game mechanics or functionality.  IMO, those are good non-changes.

You had a lot of emphasis in your first post, and you're hitting the point repeatedly--thus, vehemence.

You know, various forms of emphasis, useful for, you know, emphasis, are right there in the basic editing bar.  Emphasis is just emphasis.  It's not (necessarily) vehemence.

Ditto my surprise--not that you'd think reference cards are a solution, but that you're as upset as you seem to be that you don't think about the game in quite the same yaw the devs do.

There's nothing I'm suggesting that changes fundamentals of design or structure of the game in the slightest.  It's purely player-facing presentation and developer-facing practicality of change and expansion.

This might be the migraine meds talking, but I don't understand how including a copy of the title with every model they sell encourages purchasing anything more or less. Even if a title is an auto-include, surely there's no need to have more titles than ships?

I honestly don't know what you're asking here, so I'll try again to illustrate.

Under the current Pilot Card + Title system, a new player buys a TIE Advanced ... and notes that it sucks.  The player, if he or she wants a balanced TIE Advanced, needs to somehow acquire a TIE/x1 title.

If the TIE Advanced had been fixed in my better Ship Class reference card + Pilot Card, when a new player buys a TIE Advanced, all the new player needs is Google, because the reference card would have the fix.  (Of course, then the player does not need to somehow obtain a copy of the TIE/x1 title, and presumably fewer Huge ships would be sold.  I'm side-stepping the issues involved in that, except via implication when I say I think doing it with reference cards is, everything included, better.)

For goodness sake no please. We have tons of upgrades on ships to keep track of. Making it nearly impossible to use upgrades in an Epic game. Now suggesting that we have reference cards for each ship that we need to refer to on top of everything else.(1) It's not a different kind of card.  It's a reference card.  Those already exist.

Please FFG don't do this. I'd rather see X-Wing 2.0 before this.

P.S. I know we have them for arcs, mines, bombs and such already. I'm just saying not for individual ships now too.

You already have what you're railing against.  It's just that as it is now you call it a "Title," and you need one for each ship you have, whereas with a reference card, you'd only need one for each ship class you have.

I'm side-stepping the issues involved in that, except via implication when I say I think doing it with reference cards is, everything included, better.)

That's debatable.

A reference card wouldn't have a point value and doesn't take up a slot. So it's inherently harder to balance around. Plus then there's no option for putting out other reference cards that you have to chose between.

A reference card would effectively be errata and would lock all other options out. That is in no way better.

I almost wonder if we are going to be getting another pre-release event for Wave 9. 

I want this so bad. I came in the game JUST after wave 4. Like, literally learned the game after my brother came home after winning his Tie Defender at the wave 4 pre-release event. I've wanted to have that ever since.

... and the Star Trek ship is from Rebels??

Yep. That ship doesn't look SW at all. :(

As I said in another thread, it is disappointing that ships that showed up for 20 seconds at SW Rebels are included instead of an EU ship that has a follow for the last 20 years.

At least, they did a good job in this Wave. I'm afraid they are trying too hard to make ships unique (overdoing titles), though. 

Well, Gunboat for Wave X.

Actually, the Shadow Caster has 2min 54sec of screen time.

And what a blessing that is. If you kept looking at the ugly thing for full 3 minutes it would most likely burn your retinas.

FFG's design department made the K-Wing look pretty cool in three dimensions and not even they can save this cluserf***.

Edited by Polda

As I said in another thread, it is disappointing that ships that showed up for 20 seconds at SW Rebels are included instead of an EU ship that has a follow for the last 20 years.

At least, they did a good job in this Wave. I'm afraid they are trying too hard to make ships unique (overdoing titles), though. 

And what a blessing that is. If you kept looking at the ugly thing for full 3 minutes it would most likely burn your retinas.

FFG's design department made the K-Wing look pretty cool in three dimensions and not even they can save this cluserf***.

Gonna have to agree it's probably the worst looking ship in the game yet. The whole Rebels cartoon-esthetic really needs to be worked around in this game. The Ghost isn't a bad ship model by any means, but those colors really don't fit. Same goes here. 

And I really hope this is the last time they pull from sources such as Rebels so hastily. 5 of the last 9 ships are from Rebels. Hoping it cools down a bit from the cartoon material for awhile.

If vector thrust does indeed add the barrel roll AND evade Action, I expect it to be expensive.

It's nowhere near as broken as Boost action. so definitely less than 4 pts

What I want to know is does vector thrust work like say daredevil where you get the ability to use the actions or does it add icons to your pilot card? PTL will become even more auto include on way more ships than it already is if you can guarantee an evade AND a re-position with any ship with an EPT. Not sure a 2 for 1 deal is a good idea and may have missed the discussion somewhere but I still see nothing as a direct counter to alpha strikes :/

Looks a crap load better than the half moon toilet seat.

How does this theoretical player get a tie adv reference card?

The FAQ, as last resort.  Where all the reference cards are.  (It could also be included in stuff like the Raider.)  Note that there is no requirement of physical reference cards at the table, as far as I know.

I'm feeling the glut. I haven't even tried a lot of lists that I'd like to because I don't have the ships, and now they're dumping more out.

And these are likely to have upgrade combos that make purchasing them "necessary" to be competitive.

Looks a crap load better than the half moon toilet seat.

If anything, they are at about the same level. This is merely the toilet seat cover to the toilet seat.

How does this theoretical player get a tie adv reference card?

The FAQ, as last resort.  Where all the reference cards are.  (It could also be included in stuff like the Raider.)  Note that there is no requirement of physical reference cards at the table, as far as I know.

That would end up as an enormous mess and I think you know that. Did you argue like this when IG-2000 title was released?

Like there should be an entry in the rule book stating all Aggressors get the pilot abilities of all other allied aggressors?

No there shouldn't Because that's exactly what titles are for. 

I'm feeling the glut. I haven't even tried a lot of lists that I'd like to because I don't have the ships, and now they're dumping more out.

And these are likely to have upgrade combos that make purchasing them "necessary" to be competitive.

Sorry to break it to ya, but that's how this game goes. You buy the new wave to keep up, or you scavenge with what you have to try to make something work, usually fruitlessly.

Now what's nice is stuff from older waves sorta works, so you don't have to buy everything, but, you usually do have to buy something.

Gonna have to agree it's probably the worst looking ship in the game yet. The whole Rebels cartoon-esthetic really needs to be worked around in this game. The Ghost isn't a bad ship model by any means, but those colors really don't fit. Same goes here. 

And I really hope this is the last time they pull from sources such as Rebels so hastily. 5 of the last 9 ships are from Rebels. Hoping it cools down a bit from the cartoon material for awhile.

Agreed on Rebels, not trying to ruffle feathers on people who like the show but I have watched it and don't care for it. Haven't liked any ship from it (including the ghost) and hate the Disney push for this being cannon. That all being said I intend to and will buy any ship in this game because I love this game. Enough with the rebels for a bit though, please.

What I want to know is does vector thrust work like say daredevil where you get the ability to use the actions or does it add icons to your pilot card?

We can clearly see in the fan that it's adding the Barrel Roll icon to your action bar.

Hmmm, not a fan then, thank you for the heads up.