Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Wave 9 Revealed!

Unlike my the depressed and lifeless poster above me, Dex, I am insanely excited...

Bit harsh? I'm not uber excited about the wave, but surely that's just a matter of opinion? It's a perfectly ok wave. Not being on a rooftop with my pants on my head screaming for joy hardly equates "depressed and lifeless".

ARC dial from the article: "It flies well at slower speeds, but struggles at higher speeds, featuring six green maneuvers at speeds "1" and "2," even while four of its seven higher-speed maneuvers are red."

I'm calling it:

1-speed: straight and banks, all green.

2-speed: straight and banks green, turns white.

3-speed: straight and banks white, turns red.

4-speed: straight and K-turn both red.

I think all the 3-speeds need to be red, personally. That makes it really feel sluggish. Giving it white 3-straight and 3-banks puts it at medium maneuverability, in my opinion. And green 2-banks are quite rare for fighters of this style, so I think it has decent options for shedding that 3-speed stress.

It wouldn't shock me to find there's no 4-speed, and there's two K-turns. The B-wing dial isn't the fastest, and it has a 4-red forward. They seem to want to emphasise that this is as slow, or slower again. Maybe 3-straight is white, and a 3 and 4 K-turn? 2 and 4?

The best thing about the Aux and Mobile arcs is that you have options. Options are my favourite thing to have in this game, not being stuck to one way of play. If you really can get your opponent in your front arc all the time, it's in your best interest to ignore your mobile Arc, but for the time you could really use a rear or side shot and can't K-Turn, the mobile arc is there. Same with Tie SF which I will be putting Accuracy corrector, Juke and Comms Relay on the whole time and trying to hit two ships like a mad-man, I will go for the big front shot if I happen to be in range 1 of 1 ship.

Oh my. That Juke, Comms Relay and Acc Corrector combo... :o

1. "Wanna-be jouster".  That was bad phrasing on my part.  It has barrel roll and boost natively, which means it has all the tools to be an arc-dodger.  But most of its abilities want to be in arc, which sort of defeats the purpose of arc dodging!  So the Fang is a decent jouster, but built on a dodger's frame.

It makes me wonder if we need a new term. It has all the tools of an arc-dodger in order to get in arc of those pesky dodgers. Does that make it an arc-finder or arc-jouster?

The best thing about the Aux and Mobile arcs is that you have options. Options are my favourite thing to have in this game, not being stuck to one way of play. If you really can get your opponent in your front arc all the time, it's in your best interest to ignore your mobile Arc, but for the time you could really use a rear or side shot and can't K-Turn, the mobile arc is there. Same with Tie SF which I will be putting Accuracy corrector, Juke and Comms Relay on the whole time and trying to hit two ships like a mad-man, I will go for the big front shot if I happen to be in range 1 of 1 ship.

Well, once you figure out how to get the SF an Evade token, let me know, since it lacks the Evade action. 

The up side of waves like this is that they won't cost me any money.

Eh, I'll be buying a couple TIE/sf just to have them because they're TIEs, but I don't really use First Order ships, so there's nothing in this wave I'll actually be flying.

I love flying the TIE f/o ships, mainly because I love that S-2 move. But I'm not sold on the special forces one until I see the dial and the new tech upgrades. Seems like a defensively weak TIE for my taste.

Well, once you figure out how to get the SF an Evade token, let me know, since it lacks the Evade action. 

If anyone needs me, I'll be at a drawing board.

Knew it was too good to be true!

Cool Hand. Red Opener. Comm relay.

AC is still solid on it, though. Not quite as potent, but if my old Tempest shenanigans were anything to go by, that'll be a nice combo with the rear arc double tap, for not a whole pile of points.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (16 pages is too much to go through), but I love how FFG just gave Scum a better TIE Interceptor. And wait for it, the Ace of the group has 5 attack and 4 defense at range 1. And by love I mean the opposite of that.

It's almost like FFG was like "Stop complaining about Imp Aces, here's this ship. Now STFU."

To be fair, Scum got a new PS9 ship that throws 5 dice, but Imperials got one that shoots 8-12.

@Chadwick

I tried to fix your quotes but no luck.  Lemme see if I can go point by point:

1. "Wanna-be jouster".  That was bad phrasing on my part.  It has barrel roll and boost natively, which means it has all the tools to be an arc-dodger.  But most of its abilities want to be in arc, which sort of defeats the purpose of arc dodging!  So the Fang is a decent jouster, but built on a dodger's frame.

1.b) As to jousting in general, I'm really not sure who much of a come back we'll see on it.  Fact is, the best Evade result is an attack that is never made.

1.c) Starvipers and Khiraxezs aren't expensive because of their upgrades; the generic starviper only gets a Torp slot.  The issue is that there are far more effective (and often cheaper) options than those ships.  The Fangs seem like they're going to fall into a similar position.  There will be far more effective (and possibly cheaper) options for the points. 

2. Mobile Arc.  If they had just done turrets this way from the beginning, I would have no issues.  Fact is, there are turrets that do largely the same, but without having to predict your enemy's move a turn or two in advance (and having them react to your new arc anyway).  And the Shadowcaster doesn't seem that much cheaper, especially by the time you add in the upgrades to move your turret AND do something else.  A regular PWT doesn't have those issues, and while there are PWTs that WANT your opponent in arc (see: Dengar, Rei), if you don't have them in arc you still have a functional turret.  If Ketsu wants to use her ability, she has to have her target in her primary arc.  So either she can fire out of primary arc, or she can use her ability.  Unlike Dengar, she has to decide which she wants to prioritize.

It's not that the system itself is bad.  It's not.  It's just that they already introduced and easier and more fluid system in the form of PWTs.  Had this been the PWT format from the start, this bullet point would not exist.

Yeah, the quote system can be weird.

Hmm....different points.

The T-65 is a jouster, but the one thing everyone says it needs is some sort of repositioning ability.  I think there is still room to have a jouster that can also Barrel Roll and Boost.  I think it almost makes them a better Jouster as it ensures that you have someone in arc to actually shoot at.  Combine this with the title for defense helps.  Also, Predator, Fearless, or something else can help with the dice modifications while it can re-deploy somewhere to get a good shot.  

Oh, Darth2Face just said it better than I can.  "It's got the tools to joust against arc dodgers."  

I'm thinking that FFG believes there is too much arc dodging going on these days.  There have been a number of things that can hunt Soontir Fel down specifically.  The meta is curently overrun with Imp Aces or Pal Aces.  I think this whole wave has a lot of things that can help deal with arc dodgers.   The new Tie Defender titles are going to be quite popular.  I think they will bring back jousting some.  I think the days of the arc dodger being the only good thing on the table are numbered.  At least, that's what I'm thinking.  I could be totally wrong.  I think it's going to be ships like this and the Tie Defender titles that will make jousting powerful enough again.  

There are also things in here that can help the Kihraxz Fighter.  The mod to give it Barrel Roll is a start.  Fearless might also be really cool to help increase it's damage potential and make it a nasty ship.

As for Mobile Arc, I just see it as a new and interesting way of doing things instead of ANOTHER PWT.  I'm all for it.  It's interesting and new.  Others have kind of touched on it.  It's a way of making an interesting and useful aux firing arc.  Some pilots, like ketsu Onyo would prefer to have it in their front arc with a target there, but now they have the option to fire out a different arc that they can change for an action.  That's not a bad thing.  

For ways to give a Focus for Sabine, yeah, there aren't a lot.  You can do Squad Leader, Manaroo, Outlaw Tech, and Glitterstim.  Yeah, Manaroo might not want to dump her stuff on Sabine every turn, but she doesn't have to.  You better believe that there are turns when she will really want to use her ability, though!

They end with:

"Look for Wave IX and its expansions to arrive at retailers late in the third quarter of 2016. Until then, keep your eyes open for more previews and other X-Wing news!"

Given what has happened to the vets.. I say 1st quarter 2018

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Imperial Vets is late?  On the Boat puts things at 8-12 weeks away.  Week 8 was end of May, which means there is the whole month of June to expect Imperial Vets.  If it slips into July, it will be late, but it's currently not late at all.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (16 pages is too much to go through), but I love how FFG just gave Scum a better TIE Interceptor. And wait for it, the Ace of the group has 5 attack and 4 defense at range 1. And by love I mean the opposite of that.

It's almost like FFG was like "Stop complaining about Imp Aces, here's this ship. Now STFU."

To be fair, Scum got a new PS9 ship that throws 5 dice, but Imperials got one that shoots 8-12.

And it can make sure there's a minimum of 8 hits with accuracy corrector.

Hmm, is that "Old Master" pilot with the Protectorate Starfighter?  Maul making an appearance

Interesting. It could be, as he's going to be making more appearances in Season 3. 

But I assume his ties to the Mandalorians were severed long before Rebels. 

The only reason he escaped from Palpatine was that the shadow collective stay loyal and attacked Palpatine's hideout to bail out Maul. They even brought him his darksaber. Considering that Maul would make a good Mandalore I would not rule out that they actually going to reveal that he has even more connections with the old mandalorians than before. 

Recon Spec for Sabine seems pretty obvious to me.

I agree. Trick will be taking advantage of early mobile arc placement, since you can't spin the turret and focus in the same turn.

Although... Glitterstim might have its uses.

So your idea is to issue a different kind of card that does everything the title would do, except take up the title slot. I understand the objection, I guess, but not the vehemence.

(1) It's not a different kind of card.  It's a reference card.  Those already exist.

(2) It does everything an auto-include Title would do, it doesn't take up the Title slot (which allows Titles to actually mean something and compete with one another), and it's trivially errataed, which FFG has no problem doing with reference cards.

Honestly, it would be fantastic if every ship class had a reference card, including retroactively.

(3) The "vehemence" -- seems a little extreme, but, sure, I guess -- is simply from mild frustration at lost opportunities and failure to think ahead.  And it really is a failure to think ahead.  It was simply decided to do it by Title (with A-wing Test Pilot, I think?) ... and all indications are that once that decision was made, at whatever time and level, that's how it would be done always.  You yourself asked, effectively, how it could possibly be done other than by Titles, and my answer apparently came as a (workable) surprise.  (And that's particularly odd, because you must have seen me make the case before.)

(4) Not in response to you, Robert, but to someone else: the Defender Titles are exactly what Titles should be (putting aside my personal concerns with their balance): upgrades that can compete with other similar upgrades.  In other words, "not auto-includes."  And, correct, the TIE/x1 should have been a reference card, not a Title.

(5) There is exactly one reason to do these things as Titles ... encourage purchase of models people don't actually need.  And that's not reprehensible ... but if it's the actual reason things were done this way, it's definitely chintzy.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Can anyone tell for sure if that torp card in the ARC fan has an ACTION or ATTACK header?

Action would mean some things need to be talked about.

99% sure its an action

It is, but we have no idea what comes next and there is A LOT of text on this card. I think it might work like this: the Action on this card is to declare target of the attack (restricted to Range x-y within the primary firing arc) maybe also gain a free focus or target lock, but the attack itself is performed just like it normally would be, during the combat phase and taking PS into account, BUT you can attack even if the earlier declared target is no longer in arc and in range. It'd be an anti-arcdodging torpedo. Also the name, Seeking Torpedoes, fits this description.

You are being annoyed about something that they did in the best way possible. You can't make a reference card a rule that doesn't exist. You would want an "ARC-170 shooting" reference card? That's not a rule. It's a bad precedent to have a rule that pertains to what you do when a specific ship shoots.

Can anyone tell for sure if that torp card in the ARC fan has an ACTION or ATTACK header?

Action would mean some things need to be talked about.

99% sure its an action

It is, but we have no idea what comes next and there is A LOT of text on this card. I think it might work like this: the Action on this card is to declare target of the attack (restricted to Range x-y within the primary firing arc) maybe also gain a free focus or target lock, but the attack itself is performed just like it normally would be, during the combat phase and taking PS into account, BUT you can attack even if the earlier declared target is no longer in arc and in range. It'd be an anti-arcdodging torpedo. Also the name, Seeking Torpedoes, fits this description.

Ooh, I like this. I like this a lot.

So your idea is to issue a different kind of card that does everything the title would do, except take up the title slot. I understand the objection, I guess, but not the vehemence.

(1) It's not a different kind of card.  It's a reference card.  Those already exist.

(2) It does everything an auto-include Title would do, it doesn't take up the Title slot (which allows Titles to actually mean something and compete with one another), and it's trivially errataed, which FFG has no problem doing with reference cards.

Honestly, it would be fantastic if every ship class had a reference card, including retroactively.

(3) The "vehemence" -- seems a little extreme, but, sure, I guess -- is simply from mild frustration at lost opportunities and failure to think ahead.  And it really is a failure to think ahead.  It was simply decided to do it by Title (with A-wing Test Pilot, I think?) ... and all indications are that once that decision was made, at whatever time and level, that's how it would be done always.  You yourself asked, effectively, how it could possibly be done other than by Titles, and my answer apparently came as a (workable) surprise.  (And that's particularly odd, because you must have seen me make the case before.)

(4) Not in response to you, Robert, but to someone else: the Defender Titles are exactly what Titles should be (putting aside my personal concerns with their balance): upgrades that can compete with other similar upgrades.  In other words, "not auto-includes."  And, correct, the TIE/x1 should have been a reference card, not a Title.

(5) There is exactly one reason to do these things as Titles ... encourage purchase of models people don't actually need.  And that's not reprehensible ... but if it's the actual reason things were done this way, it's definitely chintzy.

Something that is completely, 100% limited to one specific ship is not something that should be on a reference card. But again, I think it is an opinion formed from different gaming backgrounds.