Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Wave 9 Revealed!

The TIE/sf seems super strong and gives the Imperials another PS9 Ace, and the new Scum fighter looks pretty neat. Not super interested in this wave as I mostly play Rebels, but I still have HotR to look forward to.

Do we think the Arc might have the 4 clones from rebels flying them?

We should petition FFG to add fives as 5th clone pilot. X-Wing is a what if game, so the heck, why not bring back him to fight again for the republic. 

Speaking of Fives and fighters, I would not mind to see some umbaran fighters …

Except for the fact that you can't take a primary weapon turret ship in Scum currently.

I think the "turret" part is just confusing the issue, and making comparisons when it shouldn't. It's a moveable Auxiliary Arc. That is amazing. It shouldn't be compared to those with primary weapon turrets, but with Auxiliary Arcs. 

Jumpmaster?  I know they're usually Torp boats, but it does have a PWT. (And can be 3R for +12 points).

As to PWT comparisons, FFG did that in the article:

"Instead of a full 360-degree turret, the expansion's Lancer-class pursuit craft comes with a mobile firing arc."

"This affords the Shadow Caster some of the advantages of a turret even while preserving a distinctive—and more point-efficient—playstyle, and as you might expect, each of the expansion's three unique pilots can put this mobile firing arc to good use, including the new Scum version of Sabine Wren."

And I would argue that Ketsu CANNOT put this MA to good use, as her pilot ability requires the target to ALSO be in her primary arc.  The MA might as well not exist for purposes of her pilot ability. (Which is what that sentence is referencing, I would guess.  Else they could include the generic pilot).

If you want to compare it to other Auxiliary Arcs, that's fair.  Being mobile is certainly an advantage over those other arcs.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (16 pages is too much to go through), but I love how FFG just gave Scum a better TIE Interceptor. And wait for it, the Ace of the group has 5 attack and 4 defense at range 1. And by love I mean the opposite of that.

It's almost like FFG was like "Stop complaining about Imp Aces, here's this ship. Now STFU."

"From an aesthetic standpoint alone, the Arc and the Shadow are barftastic. Both look very much like they've been designed by the same people who modify Nissan Micras with huge exhausts and inexplicable spoilers. I'm shocked they're not covered in flip-paint and NGK decals." -NakedDex

I was trying to think of a way to express my feelings on their designs but you nailed it. I think they were trying way too hard on the cool factor rather than focusing on the aesthetics in the OT. I find that some of these designs would have been better for other SciFi fantasy movies/shows.

Not sure how I feel about the abilities of these ships and it will be interesting to see how they turn out in actual games.

Edited by koolaidyeti

I think that's the whole trick with Ketsu (aligning the primary arc with the mobile arc). At PS9 with VI you move and align arc after most enemies have moved. You can decide with full information whether you can align it with your primary arc (and dish out 1 tractor beam token automatically+ another one if you hit, or align it someplace else and dish just 1 tractor beam token if you hit.

Personally I'm looking forward to a Fenn Rau (PTL, AT, Title), Ketsu (VI, dual Glitterstim, Dengar, Eu) squad.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Jumpmaster. Still, it is only one that can have 3 Atk. 

As for Ketsu, I think you can have the Mobile Arc in your Primary Arc, like in the preview image. 

True, only one Jumpmaster will be 3R.  2 PWT isn't terrible though, and gets a full 180 degrees of fire at all times which the MA does not.

And yeah, you would have to be able to put the MA on top of your Primary Arc (for most pilots there is no reason to) or Ketsu's ability would not work.  My point was that for Ketsu, if you want to use her Pilot Ability the MA may as well not exist, since it HAS to be on top of your primary arc (which you can obviously already fire out of).  I was contesting the "all the unique pilots can make great use of this arc!" line in the preview.

I think that's the whole trick with Ketsu (aligning the primary arc with the mobile arc). At PS9 with VI you move and align arc after most enemies have moved. You can decide with full information whether you can align it with your primary arc (and dish out 1 tractor beam token automatically+ another one if you hit, or align it someplace else and dish just 1 tractor beam token if you hit.

Personally I'm looking forward to a Fenn Rau (PTL, AT, Title), Ketsu (VI, dual Glitterstim, Dengar, Eu) squad.

-Looks like a system slot that promotes barrel rolling. Here we come, B-wings!

I'm guessing the card is Collision Detector.  And I'm guessing it does something like allow you to make a free Barrel Roll out of the way when you bump something.

Hmm, Nora with Deadeye, Rec Spec and R5-P9 with a Proton torp/chips could give you 5 hits on your Proton Torpedoe with an assured critical result, possibly with a focus left for regen or just use the regen later. If you're really wild, put the Advance Proton Torpedoes in there.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Jumpmaster. Still, it is only one that can have 3 Atk. 

As for Ketsu, I think you can have the Mobile Arc in your Primary Arc, like in the preview image. 

True, only one Jumpmaster will be 3R.  2 PWT isn't terrible though, and gets a full 180 degrees of fire at all times which the MA does not.

And yeah, you would have to be able to put the MA on top of your Primary Arc (for most pilots there is no reason to) or Ketsu's ability would not work.  My point was that for Ketsu, if you want to use her Pilot Ability the MA may as well not exist, since it HAS to be on top of your primary arc (which you can obviously already fire out of).  I was contesting the "all the unique pilots can make great use of this arc!" line in the preview.

Not necessarily. Granted, it doesn't exactly work with the Mobile Arc in the rear section, but if you have it in either of the two side positions, you can still get a ship in both your primary and mobile arc. I like the mobile arc concept, as it adds a very fascinating game play option. 

Not necessarily. Granted, it doesn't exactly work with the Mobile Arc in the rear section, but if you have it in either of the two side positions, you can still get a ship in both your primary and mobile arc. I like the mobile arc concept, as it adds a very fascinating game play option. 

Hm, fair point.  I hadn't really considered the spots where a ship might straddle your arc lines.

And again, I also like the game play concept.  I think someone, somewhere, on this forum suggested that all PWTs and/or Turret slot upgrades should have functioned like this.  It certainly would have made their impact on the positioning aspect of the game far lighter.

I do look forward to trying this ship, if only to poop debris clouds onto the battlefield.

The up side of waves like this is that they won't cost me any money.

Eh, I'll be buying a couple TIE/sf just to have them because they're TIEs, but I don't really use First Order ships, so there's nothing in this wave I'll actually be flying.

The best thing about the Aux and Mobile arcs is that you have options. Options are my favourite thing to have in this game, not being stuck to one way of play. If you really can get your opponent in your front arc all the time, it's in your best interest to ignore your mobile Arc, but for the time you could really use a rear or side shot and can't K-Turn, the mobile arc is there. Same with Tie SF which I will be putting Accuracy corrector, Juke and Comms Relay on the whole time and trying to hit two ships like a mad-man, I will go for the big front shot if I happen to be in range 1 of 1 ship.