On 4/21/2017 at 2:12 PM, Frimmel said:

I really like that lighting effect you've used. It really helps tie the whole fleet together. How'd you do it? 

I used the VSD as a test model and tried to airbrushing it - but made a mess of it and went back to using a brush. I did continue to use the airbrush paints though

Blue/white lighting:

• Vallejo Model Air: Light Sea Blue
  • Citadel: Drakenhof Nightshade
  • Vallejo Model Air: Steel Blue

The Light blue went straight on over the grey base coat (primer spray from a car shop!), then the Drakenhof Nightshade wash went over that. I went over it again then with light blue a few times - nothing too fancy, I wet the brush with paint and then ran the flat edge along the raised areas. I used white to pick out the "lights" - this took the longest to do.

There's a small amount of Steel Blue (dark blue) used below the lighter blue areas on the ISD and VSD - this was done with a brush too after watering down the paint to about 50/50 water (maybe less)

Messy Airbrush:

33435700954_27cfa40866_n.jpg  34146625661_74eff4d00a_n.jpg

The engines were:

• Vallejo Model Air: Fire Red
  • Vallejo Model Air: Light Red
  • Vallejo Model Air: Medium Yellow

The Fire Red and Light Red were done with an airbrush as there wasn't much precision needed and suited my lack of skill with it :) I applied the yellow quite heavily with a brush and then left it to try with the models standing upright so it pooled at the bottom but left a gradient. The white in the centre.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of these? I'd two colour ideas originally - everyone I showed tended to favour blue though. Here they are with a "test VSD" made specially for the occasion :)

Tests:

34146626381_5b49d6bac4_n.jpg   33435701414_fe052741d5_n.jpg

Edited by Artifixprime

5 hours ago, Artifixprime said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of these? I'd two colour ideas originally - everyone I showed tended to favour blue though. Here they are with a "test VSD" made specially for the occasion :)

Tests:

I think I'm in agreement with everyone else. The blue and the grey work really well together, especially with the white of the windows acting as a spot colour.

5 hours ago, Artifixprime said:

Tests:

First off thanks for the tips. I think I prefer the Blue but maybe it is more "that red." My monitors show that looking to be a bit too purple. I've always wondered why there wasn't more red lighting for spacecraft since the correct red wavelengths don't mess with your night vision. 

that's a cool fleet you displayed here!

regarding your question, that blue is more in accordance with your grey. Your "red" seems magenta or crimson, that is a 'coldish' red, it'll be more fresh with scarlet or brick red, even on the brink of deep orange.

@Frimmel @gounour

Yeah, the red/pink sounded better in my head than it worked in practice. The original goal was to keep the usual Imperial grey but to add something to make it "pop" at tabletop level. 

There was actually two dark reds used in the test - both were GW (Citadel) reds along with GW Fulgrim Pink. Kinda glad I went with Blue, although yellow was another possibility.

Lurve 'dem squadrons Artfixprime! The contrasting colours on the Phantoms work really well, and the blue cockpits really tie all the different ships in nicely. Man, your Armada Lambda's look better than my X-Wing ones! :D:D:D

5 hours ago, Darthain said:

I enjoy how the debris fields are all 'rebel' ships.

Yeah - mates of mine were giving out about that too :)

The actual reason though is that I made quick'n'dirty casts of real ships so I could break them and those rebel ships were the only unpainted ones I had to use.