Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

Design Space- What is left?

Gunboat isn't on your list.

Was waiting for this one. :)

But outside of a new combination of a stat line and upgrade slots, what do you think the Gunboat could add to the game outside of that? The YV brought the 180 arc. The IG was the first large base 3 agility ship. The Jumpmaster has an asymmetrically colored dial.

What would the Gunboat have up its sleeve?

Gunboat brings versatility and different ways for an Imperial to play. You don't need new maneuvers, actions or action-saving titles to add to the game. Here is an exercise of imagination:

I'm compiling here most of my custom cards.

I try to always follow the lore and balance (costs follow the Ships_Stats_formula_14_08_21.xlsx).

WARNING: I'm not the author of the original images, though most of them feature heavy editing. 

Assault Gunboat custom expansion pack:

x_wing_miniatures_assault_gunboat_custom

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_ x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_ x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

Gunboat showcase (using edited Mel's mini):

x_wing_miniatures_game___assault_gunboat

The "Imperial Reinforcements" card is very thematic and would bring several new dynamics to the table. Edited by Odanan

So the question is simply this- design space wise, what is left for ship creation for FFG? Here are some possibilities.

- 0 agility small base

- Speed 1 K-turn, Sloop

-Different speed Talon Rolls

-4 agility ship (would be difficult to implement with stealth device, but maybe an insanely fragile, 1 or 2 hull ship)

-3 attack small base turret

-Imperial ship with turret upgrade

-small base rear arc, 180 arc

-White T-roll

-Green K-turn, Sloop, T-Roll

Any thing else you would like to see or think is inevitable?

All of your suggestions about turrets would just ruin the game more. A 4 agility ship would further obsolete 2 attack dice ships.

None of your suggestions really add much to the game. What would really be interesting would be some standard legal ships that use the energy mechanic, or a small/large base with a hard point weapon. Range 4-5 in the standard game would be cool.

So the question is simply this- design space wise, what is left for ship creation for FFG? Here are some possibilities.

- 0 agility small base

- Speed 1 K-turn, Sloop

-Different speed Talon Rolls

-4 agility ship (would be difficult to implement with stealth device, but maybe an insanely fragile, 1 or 2 hull ship)

-3 attack small base turret

-Imperial ship with turret upgrade

-small base rear arc, 180 arc

-White T-roll

-Green K-turn, Sloop, T-Roll

Any thing else you would like to see or think is inevitable?

All of your suggestions about turrets would just ruin the game more. A 4 agility ship would further obsolete 2 attack dice ships.

None of your suggestions really add much to the game. What would really be interesting would be some standard legal ships that use the energy mechanic, or a small/large base with a hard point weapon. Range 4-5 in the standard game would be cool.

I believe FFG could find an innovative way to add more 3 attack primary turrets and even maybe one day a 4 agility ship.

And I wouldn't call these "suggestions", but just matter of fact statements about possibilities. I didn't say "Ooooohhhh we need more turrets and a 4 agility ship and they will make the game so much betters hooray!!!", I just said they are possible.

And I actually think different speed Talon Rolls, a small base with a rear arc, and green k-turns could be quite interesting additions to the game.

In general terms, i think of TL as a purely offensive action, evades are purely defensive, and focus is the middle road.  It would be interesting to see how a ship could be designed with no focus action.  Might also be one way you could do a 4 agility ship, even if it has stealth device, it can't generate its own focus tokens.  

Correction: bombs/mines and neither that take your action.

As discussed in the bomb/mine thread, the MAIN reason people hate mines is the action loss. Doubly so since nobody has a dedicated bomber, they always have a plethora of missiles/torps too.

Still dont get why the TIE Bomber doesnt have 2-3 bombs and only 1 torp/missile. Or a title to let you replace missiles/torps with bombs (oh how i would love to let Deathfire or Tomax just fly around dumping mines everywhere rofl)

Would however need a lot of bomb tokens, maybe that was one of the reasons FFG did not make it that way.

we dont already need a lot of tokens?

Ive never ran more than 1 ship that can even have bombs, so ive never needed multiple of the actual bomb tokens at once, but ive ran Extra Munitions with clusters several times and im usually forced to not use the 2nd until either i sincerely doubt the first will get hit so i just remove them or they finally blow up.

I just want a ship thats designed to be a minelayer lol. Punisher is the closest to this since it has 2 bombs but its way too expensive to dedicate to minelaying.

I have 12 Conner nets, let's do this.

Something they've only lightly touched on: movements and actions that break the regular flow of the game.

For instance: they've done Cloaking, which lets you change the position of your ship at the beginning of the Activation Phase. And they've done Bombs, which let you deal damage outside of the Combat phase. And several pilots have the ability to take actions during Combat. And the Tech slot has a way to save a token that is normally discarded, allowing those ships greater action efficiency.

But imagine a ship that could only attack during the Activation phase. How powerful would that be? Too powerful? Too weak? What if it swapped it's Combat and Activation phases? That makes arc dodging very different.

I also think there's lots of room left for Debuff tokens (Ion, Stress, and Tractor) as a group. I'd be interested in a weapon that converted those tokens into damage.

I know this isn't quite what the OP had in mind, but this topic got me thinking.

Something that can support flying in formation, offensively and defensively without eating actions.

EPT Concentrated Fire 3pts

Small ship only.

When declaring a target, if there are at least 2 other friendly ships within range 1 of your ship, you may choose up to 2 other friendly ships in range 1, treat their pilot skill as your own, all the chosen ships must attack the same target this round.

EPT Overload Targeting Computer 3pts

Small ship only.

If there are at least 2 ships within range 1 of you, when defending each friendly ship within range 1 of you may change one focus(or blank?) result to an evade.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet. 

Destroyed ship debris fields. 

Slightly larger than small/large bases.  Placed when ship is removed from the board.  Removed at beginning of the combat phase of the following turn.  Functions like standard debris fields.