Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

Design Space- What is left?

Actually now that i think about it, broadside ship would be a rebel thing (possibly scum?). Imperials would get more of a spearhead, say a much narrower firing arc but has 4 attack dice for cheap-ish (25pts?). Harder to get a shot, but if you get it, ooouch!

You are playing the wrong miniatures game.

A "slow turret" ship.  You get to rotate your firing arc after a movement (with an extra piece of plastic on top of the base).

This is how I think turrets should have been from the beginning. After the ships maneuver, the ship can perform a free turret action, to rotate their arc to one of the four sides. This puts more emphasis in flying, as low PS turrets are guessing where arc should be and high PS turrets can turn their arc to their target. Also means actions after moving I.E. Cracken or Lando ability, would help low PS turrets.

FFG is just now getting turret abilities to work in arc, trying to fix it though, so that is a start.

Base station rules.

This, and more placements on the "map" which do stuff, like guntowers/killer satellites etc.

Area effects like Ion storms, gas clouds. Depending on type could be impairing line of fire, or scrambling "system" or "tech".

ion storm obstacles would be mean to land on lol. Even if all they did was automatically place 2 ion tokens, no stress or damage, that could really shaft someone lol. Worse if they hit it twice lol.

Though i think it should do damage on a Crit: ion weapons do damage but nowhere near as much as normal guns. Crit would represent system overload.

Just from the top of my head:

- A canon that can be charged --> Something like this: Base firepower: 2. Action: Put a charge counter on this weapon (Maximum 3 counters). When shooting add 1 red die for each charge counter on this weapon, then remove all charge counters.

- A ship that can fly backwards

- New dice (with 4 hits instead of 3 or 2 crits or more eyeballs...)

- Range 4+ weapons for Non-Epic ships

- New maneuver templates (4 bank or 135° turn)

i could see range4+ weapons for ordnance considering the upcoming 3+ range targetlock upgrade with a 1-2 deadzone. balancing it would be difficult though. I think the one i came up with a few weeks ago was pretty good for the job, since it fired a template rather than dice that could be intercepted to hit the wrong ship, or outright destroyed via shooting (difficult shooting). If it connects with anything, massive damage with no mods on either side (just regular red/green dice, no tokens or abilities). That way, its deadly as hell but can be dealt with by more than just simply zooming into the 1-2 deadzone asap.

I think you covered the options left for ship design, so here are some rules/mechanics I bet the designers will use someday:

Modifications to add evade and barrel roll actions.

Modification to add +1 to Attack value (spendy)

Hyperdrive rules for jumping in and off play area.

Shooting at and destroying missiles, torpedoes and obstacles.

I'd like to see:

- more widespread barrel rolls using the bank 1 and 2 templates, similar to Echo decloaking.

- dual upgrade cards that can be flipped over during a match, maybe as an action or game trigger

- updated Epic rules to make formation flying more beneficial, say +1 green when in a formation of 3 or more ships, make the tactics matter in epic, not just spamming fighters.

Broadsiding ships would be interesting. That would throw a curveball to the meta for awhile lol.

Also still waiting for some kind of disengage ability: after performing a hard turn, you may perform a red 2forward maneuver as well (doubling the stress if applicable). Probably best as an EPT though, or another engine mod-type card (not as expensive since its not as universally useful)

That would be cool!  I do not like how you cannot escape your own arc.  If your ship is lower PS being chased by a higher PS...you are toast.  All the higher PS has to do is maneuver into your spot pointing in the same direction you were, after you have moved...

Oh no doubt there is limitless possibilities, but other than "x attack x agility x hull x shields", what can we see being introduced? That's more of what this topic is looking to discuss. I'm not at all indicating that we are "running out" of options. I am just asking what we think we may be seeing.

I remember hearing something in an interview recently that implied they're getting kind of bored designing permutations on the 2 attack / 3 agility ship. Which. I mean yup. There's only really so many of those you can do.

Correction: bombs/mines and neither that take your action.

As discussed in the bomb/mine thread, the MAIN reason people hate mines is the action loss. Doubly so since nobody has a dedicated bomber, they always have a plethora of missiles/torps too.

Still dont get why the TIE Bomber doesnt have 2-3 bombs and only 1 torp/missile. Or a title to let you replace missiles/torps with bombs (oh how i would love to let Deathfire or Tomax just fly around dumping mines everywhere rofl)

A ship that is used by all 3 factions

ARC-170

I was thinking the same thing; that would be a neat twist. One ship, many pilot cards. The ARC-170 could be set-up as Imperial in its original power and regalia (maybe more offensive) including a gunner and astromech and then it could have a alt/revamped Rebel version (maybe more defensive or assistance oriented) and then a downright scummy one (that does all things well and has a surprise scum-only add)..... I like that thought. Cool idea.....

Edited by clanofwolves

As discussed in the bomb/mine thread, the MAIN reason people hate mines is the action loss. Doubly so since nobody has a dedicated bomber, they always have a plethora of missiles/torps too.

Still dont get why the TIE Bomber doesnt have 2-3 bombs and only 1 torp/missile. Or a title to let you replace missiles/torps with bombs (oh how i would love to let Deathfire or Tomax just fly around dumping mines everywhere rofl)

action mines can be worth it (see conners) they just gotta not be rng pieces of crap that could do literally nothing despite the investment

bombs also have some hideously under-designed support, ala bombadier (Really shoulda come with an EM token that you could toss instead of any one bomb upgrade)

That too.

Ive had epic placements of clustermines where i got a guy to fly through all 3 of them immediately. Damage? None. Despite getting no defense to it, no damage, cause dice hate me.

Never even ran the proxy mine yet, since i had clusters first and i see clusters as infinitely better mines. Though sometimes when listbuilding that 1pt difference is what matters....

Would however need a lot of bomb tokens, maybe that was one of the reasons FFG did not make it that way.

Would however need a lot of bomb tokens, maybe that was one of the reasons FFG did not make it that way.

we dont already need a lot of tokens?

Ive never ran more than 1 ship that can even have bombs, so ive never needed multiple of the actual bomb tokens at once, but ive ran Extra Munitions with clusters several times and im usually forced to not use the 2nd until either i sincerely doubt the first will get hit so i just remove them or they finally blow up.

I just want a ship thats designed to be a minelayer lol. Punisher is the closest to this since it has 2 bombs but its way too expensive to dedicate to minelaying.