Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

A viable plan for an E-Wing fix

What about a generic astromech or modification that gives you a chance at causing damage to a ship if they perform a boost or barrel roll within your firing arc? It'd give you a way to score damage on those arc-dodging aces, and would represent the ability of the X-Wing and E-Wing to bracket their targets with their linked laser cannons.

Putting it in either the Astro or Mod slots limits the value for Corran Horn. Mod slot could also give value to B-Wings, and you could keep it from becoming too widespread by restricting it to small ships only with a printed attack of 3 or higher. 

The real issue with most of rebels generics (old Xs, Bs, Es) is low-PS generics being too expensive and mid-PS ones not having an EpT.

At least I hope we will have the mid-PS-EpT ones (like TIE fighters, TIE bombers, TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors....).

Not only that..

But brand new ship (ok... 6 months old) T70 Red Vet... PS4 Generic with EPT.. its a fighter.... 1 point more than a scout.

what the hell FFG?

It's important to note that the Scout is weak until you get more upgrades. That brings it up to 30-35 points.

An X-Wing w integrated astromech/B-Wing can be effective with no upgrades. Three dice are plenty.

The 30 point alternative would be something like Adaptability, Intelligence Agent, Anti-Pursuit Lasers and Feedback Array. 

He'll usually use his one action to get into blocking position with BR. That's almost third of your squad points that won't be shooting very well (arguably he doesn't have to shoot but let's not get carried away).

The more expensive version can do a lot of damage... twice (which is why you want two or three of them).

Both of them will give up half of their point cost if you get rid of their shields. The E-Wing and T-70 will not. A 50 point Corran who's still alive at the end of the match is worth jack for your opponent.

And let's face it you can compare any ship to any other ship and cry about unfair costing.

We don't even know how some of the upgrades people couldn't read yet in Heroes of the Resistance will work with the older ships.

Now let's just wait until HotR come out and we can all start bitching about why fully kitted Poe costs about 7 points more than Soontir.  :D That'll be fun.

Edited by Polda

The real issue with most of rebels generics (old Xs, Bs, Es) is low-PS generics being too expensive and mid-PS ones not having an EpT.

At least I hope we will have the mid-PS-EpT ones (like TIE fighters, TIE bombers, TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors....).

Not only that..

But brand new ship (ok... 6 months old) T70 Red Vet... PS4 Generic with EPT.. its a fighter.... 1 point more than a scout.

what the hell FFG?

It's important to note that the Scout is weak until you get more upgrades. That brings it up to 30-35 points.

An X-Wing w integrated astromech/B-Wing can be effective with no upgrades. Three dice are plenty.

The 30 point alternative would be something like Adaptability, Intelligence Agent, Anti-Pursuit Lasers and Feedback Array. 

He'll usually use his one action to get into blocking position with BR. That's almost third of your squad points that won't be shooting very well (arguably he doesn't have to shoot but let's not get carried away).

The more expensive version can do a lot of damage... twice (which is why you want two or three of them).

Both of them will give up half of their point cost if you get rid of their shields. The E-Wing and T-70 will not. A 50 point Corran who's still alive at the end of the match is worth jack for your opponent.

And let's face it you can compare any ship to any other ship and cry about unfair costing.

We don't even know how some of the upgrades people couldn't read yet in Heroes of the Resistance will work with the older ships.

Now let's just wait until HotR come out and we can all start bitching about why fully kitted Poe costs about 7 points more than Soontir.  :D That'll be fun.

But Fel and Poe are in such different ships.... A good light fighter should almost always be cheaper than a good medium fighter that has regen options and shields... I get what you are saying though...

I really think taking the system slot of is wrong.  It is what makes the E-Wing unique.  The single fire torpedo or missile slots are really a waste of space.  Give the ship a title card adding a reload to the torpedo. but at the same time if you equip it you may not fire your primary and secondary on the same turn and you can only fire 1 time a turn while equipped.  If Corran wants to use it limits his ability and yet gives the other E-Wings an effective long range attack.  It keeps the system slot, and therefore its uniqueness.

Edited by librarian101

A way for the E-Wing to either drop some or capitalize more on what it has would really help it out... For the old generics at least. I still feel pilots that use the ship more skillfully would make it work. The best ships all have pilots that really capitalize on certain features of the craft to make it work at its best. Corran could be thought of as an example but for the E-Wing and I would say he is but he's one ship that flys in one fairly straightforward manner, but the E-Wing should feel like a T-65 souped up or a tanky A-Wing. Corran can certainly do that but Et'ahn cannot, and neither can the generics.

I also think that we really need to see a variety of pilots to see what type of fix is needed. We are going to have a game this week where we can only use none unique pilots and cards and limit ships to 30 points. Looking to fly one of the Blackmoon pilots with R2D6 and adaptability to see how it flies against others of the same level.

I also think that we really need to see a variety of pilots to see what type of fix is needed. We are going to have a game this week where we can only use none unique pilots and cards and limit ships to 30 points. Looking to fly one of the Blackmoon pilots with R2D6 and adaptability to see how it flies against others of the same level.

Might I suggest PTL? The E-wing had a lot of options and having multiples of an action would let it have at least a focus and an evade.

Since Defenders get brought up a lot in reference to the E Wing...what if an (Astromech/System/Title/Torpedo) gave them a white K Turn, S Loop, or Troll? Corran HAS to disengage after popping his proverbial load, so wouldn't benefit nearly as much as a generic that can dish out punishment with 3 die FCS while taking some between 3 AGI and evade. Maybe make it a close in turn (1k, 1t!?!, etc) to really make it unpleasant for Mr. Corn.

Don't think it's 'enough', but could be part of a multi-option fix.

Edited by DerFrownmacher

Might I suggest PTL? The E-wing had a lot of options and having multiples of an action would let it have at least a focus and an evade.

We have a limit of 30 points per ship 90 total, so a Blackmoon is 29 plus R2D6 leaves me with adaptability. Also including a Red Squadron Vet and a Dagger Squadron.

We have a limit of 30 points per ship 90 total, so a Blackmoon is 29 plus R2D6 leaves me with adaptability. Also including a Red Squadron Vet and a Dagger Squadron.

Sorry I missed that line. That's what I get for reading on the go. Yep adaptability then. Still ps 4 will let you keep up with most of the best generics.

Would this help the generics without helping Corran?

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

That just might do it... Corran needs a recharge.. The generics are still really low skill though, which I think is their main problem

And if this card had also an effect to delay the pilot's action phase for just before the attack phase?

It would be nice to reduce the cost, but the mech slot is very useful to the others. I really think something in the torpedo slot that also limits primary attacks to 1 attack per turn might be the best. The torpedo slot at the present(not to say FFG might find a use here) is the most unused slot on any ship that only has one slot to work with.

It would be nice to reduce the cost, but the mech slot is very useful to the others. I really think something in the torpedo slot that also limits primary attacks to 1 attack per turn might be the best. The torpedo slot at the present(not to say FFG might find a use here) is the most unused slot on any ship that only has one slot to work with.

The hardest thing to do is to keep it thematic. 

Also, I wanted to give a cheap E-Wing option.

Edited by Odanan

I absolutely hate any "fix" that removes the system or astromech slot. Those are what makes an E-wing an E-wing. Most of you are trying TOO HARD to not give Corran even a slight increase in power, and that's the wrong way to go about it. Think of a generic fix--something like a title or Chardaan style torpedo replacement--, and then ask yourself if it makes Corran OP.

Listen, Corran is good, but I don't think that simply reducing his cost will make him OP. He HAS to get perfect double taps AND regen to make up his points and overcome the severe over-costing of the E-wing chassis. And now, friggin Wampa exists. R2-D2 is pretty much absolutely required on him because the E-wing is so severely over-priced.

If any restriction at all is to be applied in regards to Corran, it should be to somehow limit the cost of your astromech to 3 or less. I would take that trade if it made the E-wing efficient enough to not REQUIRE R2-D2.

You could easily make a Torpedo slotted upgrade, stutter fire or something, that gives the Ewing the ability to stress and preform a 3 dice attack, but gives a weapons disable token. Allows Ewings to be mean, effective, and make Corran useless,

Any (no more attacks this round" really does that.

The key to the E-wing fix is to create something which Corran won't find useful.

As if Defender fix was done "not to be useful to Vessery"...

All Vessery gets is extra rerolls, and he requires a 2nd ship acquiring a target lock on his same target to give him those.

I absolutely hate any "fix" that removes the system or astromech slot. Those are what makes an E-wing an E-wing. Most of you are trying TOO HARD to not give Corran even a slight increase in power, and that's the wrong way to go about it. Think of a generic fix--something like a title or Chardaan style torpedo replacement--, and then ask yourself if it makes Corran OP.

Listen, Corran is good, but I don't think that simply reducing his cost will make him OP. He HAS to get perfect double taps AND regen to make up his points and overcome the severe over-costing of the E-wing chassis. And now, friggin Wampa exists. R2-D2 is pretty much absolutely required on him because the E-wing is so severely over-priced.

If any restriction at all is to be applied in regards to Corran, it should be to somehow limit the cost of your astromech to 3 or less. I would take that trade if it made the E-wing efficient enough to not REQUIRE R2-D2.

If it's worth it, who cares what slot it removes?  The unique thing about Defenders was the ability to take a cannon on an imperial small ship.  With the new title, people will gladly sacrifice that because the benefits are worth it.

The real thing that needs to be preserved is not any particular slot, but OPTIONS.  Any fix should not be an auto-include.  If one fix takes away the systems slot for other good benefits, then that's fine as well as players who want to keep the systems slot have other competitive options they can go to.

I think the reason there is such a focus on both loosing the systems slot and point deductions is that there exists an elite pilot that is already viable, while the generics are nowhere close to it, resulting in most of the focus being on the generics.  Generics typically don't carry much as far as upgrades, so many who want to fly them are fine sacrificing slots they don't plan to use.

Just thinking, how about this upgrade:

Clever Name TBD

Systems slot

Small-ship only

2 points

Once per round, when an enemy acquires a target lock on you, you may assign one focus token to your ship

It makes the ship much more survivable.  In particular, it counters the contracted scouts as you could get a free focus when they use agromech.  It also precludes on from using FCS which is popular with Corran.  It doesn't make the ship overpowered as the opponent can always lock one turn and fire the next.  They can also choose focus to attack you. Ironically it is also a decent counter to Corran (or any multiple attack ship with FCS) as it allows you to burn a focus or evade on the first attack while knowing that another token is coming if they use FCS.

It would also work well with the Starvipers, Phantoms, and other systems slotted ships that don't see much play outside a couple builds.