Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

A viable plan for an E-Wing fix

Ok I know the complaints about this ship, but having played it extensively, I must say its a good ship. Not the best but good. So the question remains why am I proposing a fix? Well because the aces are the only ships worth flying, and Et'ahn is always risky given his low PS. I don't think Corran is too expensive as he performs just fine, and I would say can be as useful as a large ship, and I think this is where the problem is. The generics, and even Et'ahn aren't set up to exploit the ship they fly. The generics move too early to be reactionary interceptors so they are blockers, and no one wants to risk a third of the squad on a blocker that could be outmaneuvered, arc dodged, and quickly destroyed by a powerful ace. The ship has so many options and combos, but the pilots aren't worth the investment it demands. So the key to this excellent fighter is not a "fix" per say, rather the fix is dealing with the lack of decent pilots. Corran has proven the power of the E-Wing but only by means of his high ps, and strong ability. If we had some high pilot skill generics, which could be upgraded more heavily, there would be more reason to fly not Corran. Additionally a few extra aces would give us choices of other good abilities that would be worth the investment in the fighter. The ship needs to fly like a tie interceptor or an a-wing, if it were given a pilot other than Corran that could fly the ship in this manner it would I believe see much more time as the rebel space superiority fighter.

they could do a Poe and re-release Corran with a new higher points cost* so then you can do a single E-Wing fix that doesnt over power him.

*if the card has a different art work you can then errarta the old card to equal the new cards cost

they could do a Poe and re-release Corran with a new higher points cost* so then you can do a single E-Wing fix that doesnt over power him.

*if the card has a different art work you can then errarta the old card to equal the new cards cost

Make Corran MORE Expensive? Are you insane? The dude - given the equipment he needs to be effective - already eats up half of a **** list. People around here also always seem to forget that he's made of freaking glass. Yeah, his ability is nasty - but if someone so much as looks at him wrong, he does away.

There is definitely a lack of pilots for the E Wing. And a buff to it MUST NOT give Corran a boost, or he becomes ludicrous.

Simply, the best way to buff the E Wing is to give the ship some kind of modification that wouldn't boost the effectiveness of Corran's build, lowering the cost of the ship so the generics can be useful.

One of the suggestions I've seen is giving the E wing astromech upgrade that reduced the points cost by 2, and gave you a free focus when spending a target lock, or a title that reduced the cost of equipped astromechs that cost three points or less by 2.

Neither of these really help Corran, who almost exclusively wants to take R2 D2 so in those turns he can't shoot he can fly away to regen a shield. They help the generics by making them a little less expensive, and in the case of the astromech, slightly more effective.

Something along those lines would be the proper fix, I feel.

You state blocker as if that's the ships only role.  Generic E-wings could be effective jousters with the right tweak.  As evidence, look at what has been done with the TIE Defender.

The key to the E-wing fix is to create something which Corran won't find useful.  In order for Corran to be at his peak, he has to fill the Elite, Astromech, and Systems slots.  As a result, any fix will most likely result in an upgrade that either fills or limits one of these slots.  A title similar to the Defenders TIE x7 that eliminates one or more of these slots in exchange for a discount and/or mild bonus would work.  In addition, I believe the game devs stated that they want to promote choices and are trying to avoid auto-includes.  As a result, any fix will likely also have limitations or drawbacks of some sort.

I think the best point of attack for fixing E's is the Astromech slot and the title slot.

Astromech (Artificial PS inflation at the cost of an action, can also help boost the X-wing)

Action: Perform a Primary weapon attack, skip combat this round

Title

Superiority Fighter

When you initiate an attack gain a focus token if you do not have one, if your attack hits gain an evade token if you do not have one.

Edited by Jetfire

Make a Systems upgrade, Ewing only, gives an EPT at -2 if you don't already have one.

Make it small-ship only and it helps the generic Phantoms and Punishers too.

I agree that the real issue with the E-wing is the over-costed generic pilots; we all know Horn is great even without his optimum 50 point build out. I'll second FluxCapcitr; there are other fantastic ships out there that have the same issue with a great high end pilot fitting the cost and the generics not reduced enough to make any sense. I think the base Tie, the Z-98, etc. series pilots vs. generics hit the best and correct ratio for the game. Lots of times the generics are utilized more that the signature pilots I'll wager.

But hey, I doubt FFG will touch the E-wing due to the awesomeness of Horn (he's my Rebel go-to) because you can't help the generic without busting Horn into the neither region. Besides, if they did boost the generic E's, they'd then have a few more ships generics to boost, and where would the fixing end?

Make Corran MORE Expensive? Are you insane? The dude - given the equipment he needs to be effective - already eats up half of a **** list. People around here also always seem to forget that he's made of freaking glass. Yeah, his ability is nasty - but if someone so much as looks at him wrong, he does away.

...and he is now under risk of running into Palp Aces with Wampa which forces him into (kinda) wasting his initial shots on a TIE Fighter or get blown up in two rounds. 

In Dash combos he's already been replaced by Lothal Rebel who can withstand a triple toilet seats alpha strike.

BTW: I don't think you should sacrifice a slot as useful as System Upgrade to make the E-Wing cheaper. Title or a good astromech would do the trick.

Edited by Polda

The real issue with most of rebels generics (old Xs, Bs, Es) is low-PS generics being too expensive and mid-PS ones not having an EpT.
At least I hope we will have the mid-PS-EpT ones (like TIE fighters, TIE bombers, TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors....).

The real trick to unlocking the E-Wing is going to be the Astromech and System slots together. It's the unique feature of the E-Wing and already offers some neat combinations.

Unfortunately, since Corran is the only one worth his cost so far, he gets stuck with regeneration. As others have discussed before, Integrated Astromech might've helped a little, but I feel like we need more.

A System or Astromech (or special combination thereof) that's E-Wing only that grants native Boost, and thus Autothrusters, would on its own make for a truly terrifying advanced fighter. It deserves to be on par with the Defender for cost-efficiency and damage output, which they attempted to do (successfully, sadly) upon the release of Wave IV. In the face of Imperial Veterans, that's the fix I would see.

Make a Systems upgrade, Ewing only, gives an EPT at -2 if you don't already have one.

Make it small-ship only and it helps the generic Phantoms and Punishers too.

I can get behind that.

It's not the fact of making the Ewing generics cheaper pre-say, it's just making them more versatile. Droids on the other hand could work in tandem with systems to make it unique but stop regen spam.

You can always make the upgrade that fixes them limited to lower PS so that it does not impact Corran. 

That way there's no worry a boost for the generic E-Wing would make him OP.

As a side note... can we get Corran in a Cor-Sec X-Wing? Please? Pretty please?

But after Wild Karrde and Starviper/Scyk fixes.

Those first, k? Thx. :D

Edited by Polda

Ok I know the complaints about this ship, but having played it extensively, I must say its a good ship. Not the best but good. So the question remains why am I proposing a fix? Well because the aces are the only ships worth flying, and Et'ahn is always risky given his low PS. I don't think Corran is too expensive as he performs just fine, and I would say can be as useful as a large ship, and I think this is where the problem is. The generics, and even Et'ahn aren't set up to exploit the ship they fly. The generics move too early to be reactionary interceptors so they are blockers, and no one wants to risk a third of the squad on a blocker that could be outmaneuvered, arc dodged, and quickly destroyed by a powerful ace. The ship has so many options and combos, but the pilots aren't worth the investment it demands. So the key to this excellent fighter is not a "fix" per say, rather the fix is dealing with the lack of decent pilots. Corran has proven the power of the E-Wing but only by means of his high ps, and strong ability. If we had some high pilot skill generics, which could be upgraded more heavily, there would be more reason to fly not Corran. Additionally a few extra aces would give us choices of other good abilities that would be worth the investment in the fighter. The ship needs to fly like a tie interceptor or an a-wing, if it were given a pilot other than Corran that could fly the ship in this manner it would I believe see much more time as the rebel space superiority fighter.

I am not a huge fan of your plan: making the E-wing fly like a tie interceptor or an a-wing. The E-wing is more equivalent to the Defender, it is a super jouster. The buff to the generic E-wings should emphasize that element. There are many possible routes FFG could go also with out making Corran overpowered/undercosted.

The real issue with most of rebels generics (old Xs, Bs, Es) is low-PS generics being too expensive and mid-PS ones not having an EpT.

At least I hope we will have the mid-PS-EpT ones (like TIE fighters, TIE bombers, TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors....).

Not only that..

But brand new ship (ok... 6 months old) T70 Red Vet... PS4 Generic with EPT.. its a fighter.... 1 point more than a scout.

what the hell FFG?

But brand new ship (ok... 6 months old) T70 Red Vet... PS4 Generic with EPT.. its a fighter.... 1 point more than a scout.

what the hell FFG?

FFG puts a lot of cost behind that third attack die. Hopefully something forthcoming (looking at you HotR) will make Integrated Astro Red Vets really effective.

Edited by Tsiegtiez

The key to the E-wing fix is to create something which Corran won't find useful.

As if Defender fix was done "not to be useful to Vessery"...

While the defender fix wasn't done for that reason, the result gives us an example that would work well with the E-wings.  My reasoning for using the defender as a comparison was that the defender fix wasn't a pure point deduction or extra ability.  It was a tradeoff.  For example, if you wanted the deduction, you lost the ability to equip secondary weapons.  A similar upgrade that offers a point discount and triggers a free evade, while removing the astromech and systems slots, may be useful to generics, but doesn't help Corran much.

Polda is right, System slot is something spcial to the E-wing, that Xs and As don't have, I don't see it sacrified for a discount on the ship.

They should give options, as they did with the defender.  The defender was unique in that it is an imperial small ship with a cannon slot.  One of the titles sacrificed that for a discount.  Another made it more useful.

Also, when running generics, most people don't invest in a lot of upgrades, so losing the systems slot may not be a big loss if the naked generic ship is made competitive.