Sign in to follow this  
ser harry

fleet points in future

Helloy :-)

Been playing armada for about six months ((love it))

I was wondering if there will be bigger fleetpoints as wawe 3and4 hit the strores.

After these wawes 400 seems quite small.... you got ships, but no points to get in play...?

So to you who master armada,what do you think?

I've found a lot answers from here when ive have troubles with the rules//cards :-)

400 seems to be the right point total to keep games moving at a reasonable pace within a tournament setting.

The increase from wave 2 was really to accommodate the expensive large ships. 

I doubt there will be another increase, you'll just have to build lists around the new shinies instead of trying to play with one of everything in the future. It's the same deal as with X-Wing, now that there are multiple ships which fill out similar roles in different ways, list building brings a lot of new options along with a lot of new constraints. 

As mentioned above, 400 points is standard. We don't expect that to change.

In a casual game you are free to play higher points values, however. I imagine with waves 3 and 4 coming out, a number of our locals are going to want to get in 500 to 600 point games now and then to play with all the toys.

And of course there is nothing to stop you running a 500 point tournament using an FFG kit as long as you make it clear to your players.

But yes 400 points is standard and I think it is a good limit. If it forces you to make choices as to what goes in a list then it means a variety of viable lists are possible and not just a standard net-list seen again and again at events.

I find that the play area tends to get a bit cluttered if you go beyond 400 points with a lot more ship collisions and flying off the board as well as the game taking a lot longer. Don't see it happening.... 

Never understood why the standard game size was not 450pts instead of 400pts, its just such a round number of 150pts for squadrons, than the odd 134pts ;)

Time. Increasing points by that much will increase the amount of ships and squadrons being moved. As is, I see games with 2 squadron heavy opponents going to time almost always, and when they dont they have about 5 minutes to spare. 

Never understood why the standard game size was not 450pts instead of 400pts, its just such a round number of 150pts for squadrons, than the odd 134pts ;)

Actually, 134 is an even number. :P

I wish for 450 every time i look at my list, but I did the same thing at 300, too. I don't think more points would fix my desire for more points.

^^THIS!!!

Game works fine at 450 point. Biggest game I've played was 600 to a side. That started to take a little longer though. But objectives etc. seemed fine (limited playtesting though, so I can't say for sure).

Time. Increasing points by that much will increase the amount of ships and squadrons being moved. As is, I see games with 2 squadron heavy opponents going to time almost always, and when they dont they have about 5 minutes to spare. 

The games I've played at 600 take a little longer to set up, and the first couple turns may take a little longer, but more guns on the map means thing get destroyed a LOT faster. I normally go squad heavy myself and either the squads get destroyed early, or the larger group of squads is able to bring down shields so that the activating carrier and later ships can get a clean shot at there target. Normally the game is decided by the end of turn 4 and goes quickly from there.

I should mention this is on a 4'x6' map, but setup is done as though it was 3'x6'. This still puts you in range quickly, but give you the map room to use higher speeds on big ships and have room to maneuver. 

I don't see the tournament standard changing since a four round Armada tournament is already longer than a standard work day. That doesn't mean you have to be limited to the tournament standard. I LOVE large games and highly encourage you to give it a shot. I just don't recommend trying to do 3-4 600 point games in a day :)

I need about 50 more points.  I can hardly build anything at 400 points without feeling unsatisfied with the results.  In X-wing the 100 point limit feels right and generally I can squeeze in what I want and maybe have a few tough decisions to make here and there, but in Armada it just feels like I can't even get a decent fleet going without completely running out of room for squadrons, especially for Imperials.  I pretty much stopped playing competitively because of it and just play casual games with friends at home with a higher point total.

Usually we only add 50 points and just restrict them for spending on squadrons, it's enough to make the balance of ships and squadrons feel right.

My League would die if I put up anything more than 400 points as the hard limit on it.

It already provides hard choices, and the combinations that you can sacrifice other things to work on does force tough decisions...  You would quickly escalate into a game of who buys the best the moment you're breaking the established limit.

But as it is, The game will evolve with more cheaper and more expensive options.  It should be a tough decision to make.

If you've fit in 400 points of Ships and Upgrades, then it must come at the expense of something...    You have to manage your expectations...  and also realise that not getting everything you want, but having everything you need, is totally a song after all...

Time.... It,s a game for bigg fleets...right? Is having 2ship,and some fighters a big fleet? Having multiple choises but not the points to but enough ships in a play.. Putting more point would increase gametime... but as said, the games would probably end sooner...adding points and maybe addingg a clock, ((how long you get time to make your turn)) (((((this would be nice to many boardgames))))) :-) or maybe somekind point victory... lets say you hhave a fleet that cost 500points... You would win when you destroy ship//fighters worth 250points.... (what i've seen on yuotube..people play with 2ships full of upgrades and expenssive fighters)

Oh,i dont know... It's a great game, i love it :-) just talking :-)

I'm not expert on armada, just a player.

Armada = a fleet of warships

Fleetthe largest* group of naval vessels under one commander, organized for specific tactical or other purposes.

Ergo, what you put together in Star Wars Armada, is, indeed, an Armada, so long as you are taking more than one ship.

Double-reinforced by the actual moniker on on the side of the Armada Box.

"A game of Tactical Fleet Battles."

If Armada is not Armada-y enough for you, that's your expectation you need to manage :D

...  And I'll shut up and go back to Rules Sub-Forum now.

*(A definition of a smaller group would be a Flotilla....  Interesting that those are coming, eh?)

Ah I thought I smelled a semantics battle, I love semantics battles.

It might be more apt to call the force you deploy in Armada a "battle group" than either a flotilla or an actual full fledged armada. A battle group is usually defined as 3-4 ships of different type operating as a combined force. An Armada would be a fleet composed of multiple battle groups, while a flotilla would be like the Coast Guard fast attack vessels running the perimeter. At least that's my pedantic semantic of these antics.

However "Star Wars: Battle Group" tested poorly in marketing, and Armada was close enough.

Anecdotal Pedantic semantic of antics!  

:D

I didn't post my references, either...  But that's because I just hit the first "Online Dictionary" google search link and went from there...   :D

EDIT:  And at least we're not debating the word "Squadron" this time.

Edited by Drasnighta

On topic double Post:

I think 400 is perfect for competition, but like stop signs in a parking lot, rules are made to be broken. I rarely play at the 400 pt mark in my home games. Bigger games with friends, small games with the wife. 400 pt games are usually reserved to me practicing maneuvers against myself in the wee hours of the mornings when no one else wants to be pushing plastic ships around a table.

For official games, 400 feels just right. It gives you enough points to do something, but not too many to slow the game down.

That being said, you should try a 1,000 point game at some point. Set aside 4-6 hours and get ready for an epic game of destruction! Tons of fun.

Ah yes, Squadron from the old English scædhoo meaning horde of plague bearing rodents.

Or Squadra, the Italian word for 'square' which became squadrone. "Soldiers drawn up in square formation" :P Doesn't matter, Lando called a (presumably) group of fighters a 'squad' at Endor, where X-wing gets its jargon from.  Squadron is never referred to in the Original trilogy, only 'squad' and far more often, 'Group'.  Bloody non Milky Way jargon is gonna cause lots of conniptions among our player base!

Far more on topic, welcome aboard Ser 'Arry!  As mentioned ad nausium times before, 400 is the tournament standard but you can always do something different!  No one's going to bop you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for 'playing wrong' because you decided on 600 points instead of 400.  As mentioned, we might very well see some epic/cinematic play options which will expand the game further.  But for now, specially set up leagues or just fun old games in the 750-1K games are a ton of fun and aren't as much of a slog as many seem to indicate (okay, 1,250 can be a little slow but that's still possible).  

Just give a thought to doubling the points scored for static objectives to keep them relevant. For example, in an 800+ point match, Contested Outpost victory tokens are worth 40 points instead of 20 points, Fires Lanes are 30 rather than 15, Dangerous Territory is 30 rather than 15, Intel Sweep grants 150 instead of 75.  If you really want to get crazy, you get 2 ships and 6 squadrons for Hyperspace Assault.  Anyway, the others that score based on metrics that scale perfectly well on their own (IE, precision strike is 15 points per damage card flipped up). 

Long story short: We might have a legal option for more points when wave 4.5, 5, 9 when a Super Star Destroyer/Mega Finalizer comes out, but you're not going to see that in a normal tournament. 400 is where it's at for competition. 

Playing with more proper fleets is well worth it to me. 

2a5lw69.jpg

Edited by Vykes