Sign in to follow this  
Leveton

R5 Astromech: Almost useless?

Back on track, or this thread will get locked.

Subtle nuance: Perhaps the point of the R5 Astromech is for *EXTRA* supplies? Nowhere does it say the R5 is interacting with the crate to claim it, just that they get to draw a supply card with a limit of once per crate. The crate would still be in play for a hero to interact with it, claim it for another supply card, and then score the credits at the end of the mission. 

Back on track, or this thread will get locked.

Subtle nuance: Perhaps the point of the R5 Astromech is for *EXTRA* supplies? Nowhere does it say the R5 is interacting with the crate to claim it, just that they get to draw a supply card with a limit of once per crate. The crate would still be in play for a hero to interact with it, claim it for another supply card, and then score the credits at the end of the mission. 

Seems pretty straightforward that the intent of R5 is to let the heroes pull two supply cards from a crate OR skip the crate/credits and just send R5 to grab a supply card.

If I'm doing my math right you could get a total of 14 supply card in a 6 round mission with 3 crates. That's a sizable part of the supply deck. If you have Jyn actually draw the card you could just about guarantee getting valuable goods.

Which math is that?

3 using R5 (limit once per crate), 3 from crates, 6 discarded by Mak using Supply Network, Jyn discarding 3 with Smuggler's Luck, Mak depleting Supply Network for 1 = 16.

Most story missions have 4 crates, so for 6 round-mission 4 + 2*4 + 6 + 1 = 19.

Which math is that?

3 using R5 (limit once per crate), 3 from crates, 6 discarded by Mak using Supply Network, Jyn discarding 3 with Smuggler's Luck, Mak depleting Supply Network for 1 = 16.

I meant you would actually be able to have (not simply go through) 14 Supply cards. Granted most of that assumes having mhd and using his ability every round, as well as his reward armor. Actually, make it 15. Forgot mhd had that combat override.

I have an answer to this. The R5 Astromech is considered to be an item used by the hero it's associated with, so when the R5 Astromech draws a supply card, the card is placed on the hero's play area and can subsequently be used by that hero.

Wrong universe, Star WARS doesn't have teleporters, that is Star TREK.  I think I'd rather just not use this than have such a stupid rule in the game.  Bespin is turning out to be quite the disappointment of rushed garbage rules.

Um, did R2-D2 need a teleporter to get Luke's lightsaber to him from 100 yards away?

First off, R2 is a ridiculous pack of deus ex machina that can fly, fix anything, hack anything etc.  Second, until J.J. ****** everything up because he had no idea what he was doing, he was the star of the series and the main hero.  Third, are you going to HOUSERULE you can't get it around corners etc. because otherwise your example is garbage.

Simple, obviously the R5 astromech was taught by Captain America how to throw things such that they bounce around and ignore physics. Afterall Marvel and Star Wars are both owned by Disney, it is only logical.

I meant you would actually be able to have (not simply go through) 14 Supply cards. Granted most of that assumes having mhd and using his ability every round, as well as his reward armor. Actually, make it 15. Forgot mhd had that combat override.

Yeah, I forgot MHD-19.

Which math is that?

How is this possible?

Pg. 10 RRG - "During a campaign, heroes can interact with a crate to claim the token and draw a Supply card."

The way I understand this rules and have been playing the campaign is for a hero to claim a crate and then get the supply card. In other words, there is one supply card per crate. So if there are three crate, there are three supply cards.

Either I am reading your post wrong or not getting something.

How is this possible?

Pg. 10 RRG - "During a campaign, heroes can interact with a crate to claim the token and draw a Supply card."

The way I understand this rules and have been playing the campaign is for a hero to claim a crate and then get the supply card. In other words, there is one supply card per crate. So if there are three crate, there are three supply cards.

Take a look at Supply Network and MHD-19 abilities (hero sheet and class cards). These and the R5 Astromech draw or manipulate the supply cards without interacting with crates (which claims the crate and gains a supply card like you said).

In addition Smuggler's Luck lets Jyn draw a new supply card if she's not satisfied with the first when she interacts with a crate.

Edited by a1bert

Ugh is that why I can't post or get questions answered about Reclamation or Panic in the Streets?!

I sent a question to FFG about this.

FFG is on a 30 day rules questions lock down after release of a new product. So questions about Bespin won't be answered until late June or early July.

Pasi already gave an answer that will probably just be re-iterated by Paul once the lockdown is over.

Ugh is that why I can't post or get questions answered about Reclamation or Panic in the Streets?!

FFG is on a 30 day rules questions lock down after release of a new product. So questions about Bespin won't be answered until late June or early July.

Pasi already gave an answer that will probably just be re-iterated by Paul once the lockdown is over.

You can post them here and send them in. But you will not get an official answer until in about 2-3 weeks.

You can post them here and send them in. But you will not get an official answer until in about 2-3 weeks.

Do you know if this includes all rules questions or just those pertaining to the new Bespin release? I have a pending question in that I was hoping to get an answer on soon.

What's your question? There is a chance it's something that we already know, or something obvious to someone like Clipper (tech editor for IA), me, or Fizz.

Also check out

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1373530/ffg-unofficial-answers-rules-questions-thread-read

I've been searching for a definitive answer but so far haven't found anything in the Rulebooks, FAQ, or forums--I use this and BoardGameGeeks.

My question was:

If an exhausted Imperial Deployment Card, with an exhausted Attachment, is Readied during a round, does the Attachment also Ready? I am thinking specifically of the Inspiring Leadership Class Deck and the use of a Field General --> Strategic Planning --> Field General combo. My inclination is that the Attachment does Ready, and Field General can be used again by a figure in the group, but I think this could be a pretty powerful combo so wanted to check if it was a fair move.

Edited by jabber

Class cards and deployment cards and activation tokens are readied during the ready step of the status phase. Readying a deployment card does nothing to class cards (attachments or not), the class cards are readied separately in the ready step. Class and item cards of heroes ready at the beginning of their activation.

If an ability readies a deployment card, it does not ready the attachment.

I am playing an online campaign with Inspired Leadership and Strategic Planning does exactly that. It readies the deployment card only.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1507945/rise-and-fall-twin-shadows-swia024/page/1

(You can ask in Boardgamegeek if you want Clipper's opinion.)

Edited by a1bert

Class cards and deployment cards and activation tokens are readied during the ready step of the status phase. Readying a deployment card does nothing to class cards (attachments or not), the class cards are readied separately in the ready step. Class and item cards of heroes ready at the beginning of their activation.

If an ability readies a deployment card, it does not ready the attachment.

I am playing an online campaign with Inspired Leadership and Strategic Planning does exactly that. It readies the deployment card only.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1507945/rise-and-fall-twin-shadows-swia024/page/1

(You can ask in Boardgamegeek if you want Clipper's opinion.)

In the event that the group figure who previously used Field General is not killed prior to use of Strategic Planning, in your opinion would you say that figure still has the Executive Order special action to use again since it is still the same round? Thanks for your thoughts!

A good question.

I would still have to say exhausting is a cost you need to do to have access to the special action, and once you used the special action you need to pay the cost again to be able to use it again. (Edit: and even if you don't use it during your activation.)

Otherwise each figure in a Stormtrooper group could exhaust the card during different rounds and after 3 rounds they all have a permanent Executive Order (for Field General).

The former is obviously the intent and not the latter. You can argue about bad wording, but it doesn't change the intent.

Whether a figure activates twice on the same round or on different rounds does not really change anything here. There is nothing else than the exhausted card that is reset between rounds.

Edited by a1bert

A good question.

I would still have to say exhausting is a cost you need to do to have access to the special action, and once you used the special action you need to pay the cost again to be able to use it again.

Otherwise each figure in a Stormtrooper group could exhaust the card during different rounds and after 3 rounds they all have a permanent Executive Order (for Field General).

The former is obviously the intent and not the latter. You can argue about bad wording, but it doesn't change the intent.

Whether a figure activates twice on the same round or on different rounds does not really change anything here. There is nothing else than the exhausted card that is reset between rounds.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't think it carried over from round-to-round, and as there is no rules mechanism for tracking which figure has gained an ability like this for the rest of the round, I agree with the former as well. It was just the extra part of my question to FFG so thought I would throw it out there. While I knew the rules are clear that Imperial Class Cards Ready during the status phase, I think I was getting hung up on the "Attachment" piece like it was a Hero's item card. But it is still an Imperial Class Card. Thanks for talking it out with me!

You're welcome.

I think the Field Officer / Field General cards may have been affected by the way Skirmish uses command cards that have special actions. The cost of playing the card changes into the exhaust cost for campaign.

So just imagine "during this activation" when you have a cost and a special action.

Edited by a1bert

So far he's been real helpful.  I love how it's thematic: the Imperial is so busy shooting at the Rebels that he can't afford to kill a silly little droid.

I think an undervalued aspect of the droid is that if the Imperial does shoot him, that's one less time they attack you.

Edited by Boba Rick

I played a solo one-shot mission and R5 came up in the initial upgrade step, and there was 250cr available, so he got bought for Gideon. Between R5, MHD-19 with Combat Override, and actually picking up the crates, the rebels drew 11 supply cards during the mission. (The rebels lost, the mission became impossible to win on the final round, so they picked also up the last two crates for a miracle and credits.)

When the mission ended R5 had sufffered 3 damage / 4 Health. There wasn't Trandoshans who could've finished him.

Just found this thread. Sorry for the double post but.

From BGG forum , someone wrote that "The R5 Astromech is considered to be an item used by the hero it is associated with. A supply card R5 Astromech draws is placed into the hero's play area and can be subsequently used by that hero.

This has been confirmed by FFG, although I can't quote it verbatim." - https://boardgamegee...000650#23000650

I purchased the R5 droid today for the first time in our campaign. Makes little sense the way he is described in the rule book.

We included a house rule that the droid has to be within line of sight of the hero for the droid to transfer the supply card to the hero. Otherwise, how is it that the droid draws a card and then transfers the supplies across the map through walls and doors?

"Forage: use while adjacent to a crate to draw 1 Supply card. Limit once per crate." - Doesn't this mean that the R5's ability to draw a card is limited to the number of crates in the mission?
Edited by robertpolson

It was me. And I replied to the BGG thread.

Yes, Limit once per crate for Forage means one Forage per crate.

A lot of the supply cards can be considered to be information the R5 can pass on to the rebels by radio, or the hero can use them with a remote trigger.

If it bothers you, switch R5 with the Pit Droid.

So the way you would play the game is to give a hero access to a supply card once R5 picks it regardless of where the hero is on the map? 

I am having a hard time imagining how a grenade can be passed on to a hero who is behind a wall.