Sign in to follow this  
Lord Tareq

Anyone else disappointed about the version of the Interdictor they picked?

I was hoping/expecting them to go for the small(ish) Immobilizer 418 Cruiser. This has been the Interdictor portrayed in SW games etc. for 15+ years.

InterdictorCruiser.gif

It's based on the hull of the Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser, which is another cool ship in that it is a sleek looking Star Destroyer-like ship, but far smaller. Here is a size comparisson with an ISD:

Immobilizer_418_Size.jpg

Instead we got the FFG Interdictor which is a behemoth, at around the same size of a VSD. And while I like the aestethics of the Armada version of the ship, I was hoping for more smaller, cheaper ships to support my ISD like the Immobilizer could have been, so I can actually pretend its a fleet battle. Instead, taking an ISD and an Interdictor leaves you very little room for more ships.

I have no complaints about the model though, other than its not the one I am familiar with. Just wish it was a smaller, cheaper ship.

Edited by Lord Tareq

To be fair, it isn't the "FFG" Interdictor, it is the Star Wars: Rebels Interdictor, from the show.  I can see why having another small ship would be nice, but it would also be weird for a tiny ship to be pulling or pushing ISDs around.  It does seem expensive points-wise, but I think we will all have to see it on the table to see if it will be worth the points.  Personally, both how the model looks and the new upgrade are making me want to (temporarily) defect to the empire.

In a sense I know where you're coming from.  I was surprised that they went with the new Imperial Interdictor rather than the older Interdictor-class cruiser (I don't even like the name 'Immobilizer 418'). That said, I'm totally fine with it.  I'm liking the new look even if I prefer the slightly blockier yet strangely anemic INT-418 aesthetically.  

That said, I suppose there's hope in the future that they'll reuse the experimental retrofit on an INT-418 and make it far closer to the expected version.  I toyed with TIE fighter not long ago and I guess I was sort of figuring that we'd see a vulnerable utility ship: Hull 5, light blue guns, Speed 2 kind of vulnerable (A VSD couldn't outrun it, but frigates and ISD's notably could).  But a 9 hull, 5 engineering, decently armed cruiser that's just plain pretty is hard to turn down.  And it's Rebels content, I'm finding it tremendously hard to be disappointed with that.  It makes me incredibly hopeful and tremendously excited about the possibilities of what we could be seeing in the future.

Think of it this way, we're not depleting the good EU reserves!

Edited by Vykes

To be fair, it isn't the "FFG" Interdictor, it is the Star Wars: Rebels Interdictor, from the show.  I can see why having another small ship would be nice, but it would also be weird for a tiny ship to be pulling or pushing ISDs around.  It does seem expensive points-wise, but I think we will all have to see it on the table to see if it will be worth the points.  Personally, both how the model looks and the new upgrade are making me want to (temporarily) defect to the empire.

And let's be honest, the number of people who know what an interdictor look like from Rebels faaaaar outnumbers the ones that know what any other version looks like.

Rebels is the new thing. Its canon. Unless you're comparing to a version from Clobe Wars or one of the movies, they're going to go with Rebels.

Yeah what Caldias said!

Very glad that FFG chose the Star Wars Rebels version. Pretty nice looking, I'm half wondering if we might get to see a copy under glass today at FFGC Armada regionals.... Specially with the IFF crew in town....

A tiny tiny bit. Love the Immobilizer. That said, the Rebels Interdictor is still fantastic, and think of it more in lines (and better) than the Interdictor Star Destroyer which in my opinion was silly.

An Immobilizer would be cheaper but even weaker in armament, hull, and shields. Which would make it a pure support ship, which by lore they were. However, a pure support ship may not work in game. While the Interdictor here isn't armed to the extreme, 2 red & 2 blue out of the front and sides is quite respectable. So while it will never be a ship of the line, it will do far better in conjunction with either VSDs or ISDs, cruising with them instead of hiding behind.

While I would have prefered the 418 type, I am just so frigging happy that the interdictor is cannon again.  It was something from EU that I feared would never come back.  When the ship and it's ability showed up is Rebels, I yelled in excitment (you can ask my wife, she came in to ask what the problem was).  I can not fault them for using what is now the cannon version.

And you can always go shapeways (as I plan to) and get the other style.  I plan on getting a Vindicator cruiser as well (418 without the gravwells) fo when I just want to run it as a gunship.

Edited by Salted Diamond

As a fan of Rebels I think it's great they went with this version.

As the new canon grows, I would expect that we will stop seeing much in the way of old EU ships and people. It makes sense for Disney/Lucas as well as FFG to focus on the new stuff.

I'm with Salted Diamond on this one. I was afraid the whole idea would have been Order 66'd with much of the EU.

While we were all hoping for it, we also knew that it is not a tactical ship, meant for space battles, but a vessel meant to interdict something the game doesn't really emulate (much).

I also like the look of the SW:Rebels version.

I have been waiting to see this ship come out and one other (Super Star Destroyer). I don't know about you guys but I planned on owning at least 3 of them. I don't care if I use them all in game or not.

I like the new version and was actually unaware it was different from the old ones from EU! To me they do look like finr ships, and I would be interested in seeing if the older and smaller version hits the table at some point. I have a feeling that the current version will lilely have two of those gravity based slots (or at least one version of it might), so a small and weak, but slightly pricy and tactically interesting varient would be really cool.

Love the new model's design but like Lord Tareq I am surpirsed at the size of the vessel as I always thought of it as medium-sized support cruiser  (ala Timothy Zahn books and the Imperial Sourcebook). Very surprised at it having more hull than a Victory [9 v 8]!!! But better a large-scale interdictor than no interdictor, for sure and doubtless it will interdict the contents of my wallet and find its way onto the battlefield.  :) 

Just once they get my Dreadnaught-class cruiser properly to scale ;) ....