Sign in to follow this  
spacebug

Would you re-roll?

I think I would refuse to allow my opponent to use a dice app - I'd insist the use my dice if they don't have any.

Why an app allows for cocked dice, I'll never know.

You can't it's an official product, you could forfeit the game but you can't demand they share your dice.

Really? What a load of nonsense.

I would not use an app that even allowed cocked dice...

Good point.

It's a flat screen, what are the dice cocked on?

I was wondering if they were leaning on the other dice's bounding box, but they seem a bit far away for that.  My guess is that the app was interrupted somehow while straightening dice...it just gave up and left them like that.

Looking at the wording in the FAQ, it defines cocked dice as "not level", which would actually apply to these XD.  My gaming peers define cocked as - the die resting on more than one surface which definitely wouldn't apply.

But then, the whole point in the cocked dice rules are to avoid arguments or the potential for arguments...having the app give a non-biased call of the result definitely bypasses that.

So I'm totally for going by the result at the bottom, but also thinking that FFG may need to address this at some point, or at least look at why their app is leaving dice in this state.

I think I would refuse to allow my opponent to use a dice app - I'd insist the use my dice if they don't have any.

You can't it's an official product, you could forfeit the game but you can't demand they share your dice.

It's not nonsense it's the rules.

Why should someone who's paid for an official product be bared from using it? Also it makes pew pew noises!

It's not nonsense it's the rules.

Why should someone who's paid for an official product be bared from using it? Also it makes pew pew noises!

The rule of sharing dice I get - and I'd never have a problem with an oppoent asking to share dice. frankly, I get a little embaressed when my dice roll well.

The idea that we need a mobile phone app to roll dice is, I think, a sad statement on people's relationship with technology. Roll a goddam dice. The phrase 'there's an app for that' doesn't mean 'there NEEDS to be an app for that'...

The idea that we need a mobile phone app to roll dice is, I think, a sad statement on people's relationship with technology. Roll a goddam dice. The phrase 'there's an app for that' doesn't mean 'there NEEDS to be an app for that'...

I promise you an RNG is better at (pseudo)random results than you rolling your X-Wing dice.

Edited by EvaUnit02

I promise you an RNG is better at (pseudo)random results than you rolling your X-Wing dice.

And yet, I have no control over how my dice roll. Sure, they may have some manufacturing defects, but that's not the point. The point is that I don't need a phone app to roll a bloody dice.

And yet, I have no control over how my dice roll. Sure, they may have some manufacturing defects, but that's not the point. The point is that I don't need a phone app to roll a bloody dice.

I don't need a remote to control my television either but it's, on most counts, a superior option.

It's fine to prefer physical dice but claiming that using the app is a "sad statement on people's relationship with technology" is a pretty inflammatory accusation lacking any real substance, in my opinion.

I don't need a remote to control my television either but it's, on most counts, a superior option.

It's fine to prefer physical dice but claiming that using the app is a "sad statement on people's relationship with technology" is a pretty inflammatory accusation lacking any real substance, in my opinion.

Using a remote is a demonstrably better option as it means you don't need to physically get up from the sofa to do anything to your television.

Having a dice app is NOT better as it achieves the same thing with the same amount of effort (and before we have the argument of 'remembering your dice', you have to bring every other token with you, so that's not an effective rebuttal).

Who's finds that inflammatory? Androids? Look, I'm the first to accept and embrace new technology - I use an app to order pizza for heavens sake. Anything that can improve life or make it easier, I'm all for. But there's a line where it becomes completely unnecessary . You don't need an app to roll dice for this game.

Your coming off very entitled. Need it no want it yes, you don't get to decide what other people choose.

Good.

As said, clearly I can't tell them what to do as it's in the rules they can use it. I'm still allowed to think it's stupid.

Edited by The Penguin UK

I would choose the satisfaction of holding a fistful of dice and rolling them.

But the price of dice being what they are, the App is A LOT better monetarily speaking. One App that covers X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and the RPGs for less than the price of one set of dice for one game is certainly worthwhile.

Wanting to play all of the aforementioned games I am seriously thinking of getting the App. Means more money for expansions and books.

But I do expect an App to "roll" the dice properly.

I bought the dice app when I was getting into the RPG because it was cheaper than buying multiple packs of dice. I haven't seen a cocked die rolled by the app yet and doubt I ever will. I'm looking at the picture and can't see any die there that is cocked. it does look like the photo was taken prior to the app rotating the dice to the same direction after the dice stop moving. They all look like good results to me.

I assure you, the screenshot was taken after all dice had been still for some time. If you can't see what's wrong, look closer at green bottom left and red top right. I get cocked-looking dice maybe 1 roll in 20? It's possible my phone is glitching somehow to cause this, although not in a way that's noticeable to me. Wonder if the app is missing something like "on resume, check for level dice"...total conjecture though.

Edited by spacebug

I just realised I have other devices I can play with the app on.  Played on my tablet and in a couple of hundred rolls, I had one die that was maybe slightly cocked.  So this is definitely something that's to do with my device, but then it could be a bug with my specific phone, a bug with my model, a problem with the screen size...who knows.

As for taking the screenshot before they'd finished rolling, if you play with the app you'll notice the results don't come up until after the dice have stopped.  Well, my tablet seems to shunt the dice sideways a little to space them out just as it displays the results (my phone doesn't do this step hmm), but they're all flat by the time it puts them up.

Phone: android 4.1.2, tablet: android 4.1.1

Also my tablet was not using the most recent version of the app.  I'll update it.  And then I'll be sad if my tablet starts rolling cocked dice too.

Using a remote is a demonstrably better option as it means you don't need to physically get up from the sofa to do anything to your television.

Having a dice app is NOT better as it achieves the same thing with the same amount of effort (and before we have the argument of 'remembering your dice', you have to bring every other token with you, so that's not an effective rebuttal).

Who's finds that inflammatory? Androids? Look, I'm the first to accept and embrace new technology - I use an app to order pizza for heavens sake. Anything that can improve life or make it easier, I'm all for. But there's a line where it becomes completely unnecessary . You don't need an app to roll dice for this game.

OK.. here ya go, the  reason the app is better.. I was watching a game one time and one player rolled his 4 dice so enthusiastically that he knocked over, bot one, but two ships on his side, and one on the opponents side.. just to stop that kind of ridiculousness is a reason for me.. and in all the times I've used the app.. I've never seen it come up with cocked dice.. just set your device so it doesn't allow them to 'bump' easily.. it can be very sensitive depending on how you set it up. and I have used it for other games where I needed a d20, or d12s and sixes.. it's a great app and can be used for the RPG FFG has for Star Wars as well..

Updated the app on my tablet, now getting a few cocked dice there too.  I'll make a bug report.

Also discovered that turning on "Auto orient" will un-cock any cocked dice.  It looks super weird though :D

The app is objectively better than your dice. You simply can't argue otherwise. The RNG is more random than your dice. Period.

As mentioned otherwise, it also saves you the cost of buying additional dice, should you want to roll a handful at a time, and prevents accidents on the table, which admittedly you can prevent with a dice tray but I'd argue that's just another cost you're incurring.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to prefer rolling physical dice. I've no problem with that at all. What I have a problem with is your accusation that using the app betrays some terrible relationship that person has with technology.

Update: I reported this as a bug and got the following response

Thanks for your detailed email regarding Star Wars Dice. We are indeed aware of the issue, as it reared it’s head in the recent update that included Rebellion dice. As you have noticed, we recommend using the ‘Auto-Orient’ feature to greatly decrease the chance it will happen. The displayed results on the bottom are correct, and will choose the top most face on the die (Even if it has landed funny).

The software used to develop the application needed to be updated, in order to ensure that we could continue support as well as adding new dice in the future. Long story short the software had completely overhauled and updated the physics engine, which in turn broke the app. We repaired as much of the functionality as possible in the time we had available for the app’s update. Unfortunately we had to settle for the occasional cocked die, as opposed to some other (worse) outcomes.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of the cocked dice, and hope that it is something that we may be able to fix sometime in the future.

So, just sharing for everyone's information :)