Sign in to follow this  
spacebug

Would you re-roll?

Edit edit: I reported occasional cocked dice a bug and got the following response

Thanks for your detailed email regarding Star Wars Dice. We are indeed aware of the issue, as it reared it’s head in the recent update that included Rebellion dice. As you have noticed, we recommend using the ‘Auto-Orient’ feature to greatly decrease the chance it will happen. The displayed results on the bottom are correct, and will choose the top most face on the die (Even if it has landed funny).

The software used to develop the application needed to be updated, in order to ensure that we could continue support as well as adding new dice in the future. Long story short the software had completely overhauled and updated the physics engine, which in turn broke the app. We repaired as much of the functionality as possible in the time we had available for the app’s update. Unfortunately we had to settle for the occasional cocked die, as opposed to some other (worse) outcomes.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of the cocked dice, and hope that it is something that we may be able to fix sometime in the future.

Hypothetically, you're at a tournament.  You 're using the dice app...I dunno, you left your real dice at home by mistake or something.

Do you re-roll these cocked dice, or go with the app's call on which face is up? :D

aRIDo7N.png

Edited by spacebug

I personally can't use these things.  Part of the fun for me is getting to roll dice.  And if you are an expert dice roller you will go far in this game.  With an app, you lose that edge.

Edited by slowreflex

What ever you do, don't line up the **** dice in your hand and just drop them on the table. That looks shady as hell. Grab the **** things, shake em around in your like you're jacking it and toss them thangs like you mean it!

Then use Autocorrector. And Palp, Autothrusters and Evade tokens.

The image is an abstract. It's meaningless. If the app is telling you what the results are, assuming the random number generator really works, then the dice results are the dice results.  Poor animation is irrelevant.

Yeah, that's the call that makes sense.  But the FAQ does say that cocked dice must be re-rolled - going by the letter of the law, they should be.  I was a little shocked that dice can be very cocked in the app!

I personally can't use these things.  Part of the fun for me is getting to roll dice.  And if you are an expert dice roller you will go far in this game.  With an app, you lose that edge.

Personally, my cheesy awesome rolls also happen in the dice app (see screenshot for example :D )

I hope your "expert" dice skills don't involve dropping the dice or that kind of nonsense. D:

...anyone remember the days when games used to come with a little cup to shake the dice in and roll from?  I wonder when that stopped being a thing.

Edited by spacebug

And if you are an expert dice roller you will go far in this game.  With an app, you lose that edge.

Are you being serious?

Are you being serious?  ;)

Are you guys being serious?

The image is an abstract. It's meaningless. If the app is telling you what the results are, assuming the random number generator really works, then the dice results are the dice results.  Poor animation is irrelevant.

Yeah, that's the call that makes sense.  But the FAQ does say that cocked dice must be re-rolled - going by the letter of the law, they should be.  I was a little shocked that dice can be very cocked in the app!

Personally, my cheesy awesome rolls also happen in the dice app (see screenshot for example :D )

I hope your "expert" dice skills don't involve dropping the dice or that kind of nonsense. D:

...anyone remember the days when games used to come with a little cup to shake the dice in and roll from?  I wonder when that stopped being a thing.

Yahtzee-replacement-dice-shaker-cup-and-

It's an app, no dice are hiding in the phone to roll.

It's an app, no dice are hiding in the phone to roll.

I dunno, they can make some very very tiny dice these days.

Hypothetically, you're at a tournament.  You 're using the dice app...I dunno, you left your real dice at home by mistake or something.

Do you re-roll these cocked dice, or go with the app's call on which face is up? :D

aRIDo7N.png

While there is no logical reason the app should show dice as anything other than flat I believe these results are still clear considering the angle they are viewed at.  One the cocked red die you can clearly see the three sides surrounding the "face up" side of the die even if one of those sides is displayed more prominently.  Now that Defense die in the bottom left isn't as clear but what is clear is that even if either of the sides you can clearly see would be considered the "up" side they both are displaying the same result.

Why are attack and defense dice being rolled simultaneously??

Because I was just playing about with the app.

Although it might not be a terrible thing to do to save time adding and deleting dice...the focus results are colour coded, so you can easily see which results are defense and attack. *shrug*

I think I would refuse to allow my opponent to use a dice app - I'd insist the use my dice if they don't have any.

Why an app allows for cocked dice, I'll never know.

You can't it's an official product, you could forfeit the game but you can't demand they share your dice.

I think I would refuse to allow my opponent to use a dice app - I'd insist the use my dice if they don't have any.

Why an app allows for cocked dice, I'll never know.

You can't it's an official product, you could forfeit the game but you can't demand they share your dice.

The other alternative to forfeiting is to demand to use the app as well (which is allowed by the rules).

I think I would refuse to allow my opponent to use a dice app - I'd insist the use my dice if they don't have any. Why an app allows for cocked dice, I'll never know.

The other alternative to forfeiting is to demand to use the app as well (which is allowed by the rules).

Yep very true.

Hypothetically, you're at a tournament. You 're using the dice app...I dunno, you left your real dice at home by mistake or something.

Do you re-roll these cocked dice, or go with the app's call on which face is up? :DaRIDo7N.png

If you use the App you obey the App

But yes I would reroll if it were real dice

Edited by Tyres Kem