Sign in to follow this  
Silidus

Ravage vs Monster Actions that are also attacks.

So this came up with respect to the Stewards of the Secret monster reveal, so I figured I would loop the conversation in here.

Ravage: Both of this monster's actions on a turn may be attack actions.

(Core Rules: Page 11) Attack: The monster attacks a hero (see attack on page 9). Unlike heroes, a monster can attack only once during its activation.

Monster Actions: Some monsters have unique actions listed on their monster card with a (arrow). If any special action allows the monster to perform an attack, it counts as the monsters one attack action for that activation.

Leap Attack: (arrow) This monster moves up to its speed. During this movement it may move through spaces containing enemy figures. Then, perform an attack that affects each figure this monster moved through this action.

So to me. It sounds like 'Leap Attack' counts as an attack action, and since both actions may be attack actions, there is nothing else preventing the second action from being a leap attack as well.

Ravage saying both may be 'attack actions' (as in the explicit action... attack) suggests that they can only be 2 basic attack actions, however the only limitation to Leap Attack is that it counts as an 'attack action'.

It seems to me FGG forgot to put in a "Once per turn" limit on this.
In fact, the old text included this.

Blood-Ape-1-Back.jpg

dj33_bloodape-back.png

Has there ever been an official ruling on this situation? I noticed that there is a similar case with Ravage and Skirmish abilities on the Volucrix Reaver.
Edited by Silidus

Yes, there was a rules question/ response regarding specifically ravage and "skirmish" on the master reaver. The answer was that he can indeed skirmish twice. In effect, what ravage does is exempt the monster from the ordinary "one attack per turn" limit, even though it only explicitly mentions attack actions.

To be fully accurate, the text of ravage should be "This monster is not limited to 1 attack per activation."

A related question: 'This monster moves up to its speed' This means it must complete a full move action? (Since it doesn't say may or anything)

"Move up to its speed" means "move 0-N spaces" where Nis your speed. No move action, no movement points, no minimum didstance moved. No water or pit problems (because large monster).

Yes it seems pretty clear to me that the Master Blood Ape is designed to eat your Heroes' assholes for breakfast...

"What's that Mr. Skirmishes, you like to Carve a Path? Well pardon me while I do the same thing to you and your buddies, twice... in a row..."

once im overlord i'll definitely use that master ape ...place him so that heroes will have to waste one turn to get rid of him (and if the heroes are good without him probably beeing able to attack), but theeeeen i'll use the revive OL card and get as many heroes as possible into double leap in my next turn + that overlord card that allows him to use 2 further attacks for beeing defeated afterwards...would have lost him due to revive at the end of that turn anyway ^^...but 4 attacks while 2 of em are leaps....well, that ape will surely appear in their nightmares !

this overlord card which grants 2 additional attacks is nice anyway....guess with arachyuras one can trigger a mass curse for most of the heroes....and fire imps...well..would combustion deal more than 1 dmg after defeat, then there would be some nice strategies aswell...guess it should be at least 2 dmg..if not 3 dmg to actually have me use this monster over bandits

No water or pit problems (because large monster).

Water can be ignored because it is a movement of x spaces, not via movement points;

pits due to the monster being large.

Am I correct? Just wanted to be clear about this.  ;)

No water or pit problems (because large monster).

Water can be ignored because it is a movement of x spaces, not via movement points;

pits due to the monster being large.

Am I correct? Just wanted to be clear about this.  ;)

Water is ignored because it's move X spaces. Pits are (mostly) ignored because of the rule that large monsters only suffer the effects of entering a pit space if they are expanded and totally in pit spaces.