Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeNYHC

One Junk Droid?

42 posts in this topic

I hope we get an answer to this before our regionals in the off chance somebody tries this out.

FFG has a cooling period for questions after each product is released, so you may be in for a wait... or not.

If that's the case...

RogueLieutenant, what would your ruling be if someone were able to convince thier wife to visit her favorite cousin in Fargo, ND next weekend and they just happened to have brought along thier IA stuff with them and happen to get the opportunity to slip out of the house on Saturday?

RogueLieutenant likes this

I believe the Junk Droid is part of the group of the Ugnaught who "summoned" it (readies when it readies and activates before or after the controller according to Companion rules), and Scrap Batallion is a separate ability which allows the Junk Droid to ready and activate as if it were part of that Ugnaught's group.

· When a group that is associated with a companion

leaves play, the companion remains in play[...].

Pasi, how do you consolidate these two statements?

If the figure is part of the group, how could the group have left play if the companion (being part of the group) is still in play?

This rule segment combined with the explicit use of the "associated" wording unlike the one used in the RRG (where figures are "in" or "part" of a group rather than associated with it), makes me fairly confident that while companions are associated with a group - and draw upon it in a number of ways - they are not actually part of the group.

Edited by Cremate
RogueLieutenant and FSD like this

Well, it seems I was sloppy in my choice of words. But you can read the companion rules yourself and try to figure it out. :D

The Junk Droid companion activates before or after the group it is associated with, i.e. the Ugnaught that used Spot Weld the most recently. With Scrap Batallion the Junk Droid also readies when any Ugnaught Tinkerer activates, and the Junk Droid can then activate as if it were in the group.

It may well be I'm reading into things that are not there. And it may be there is redundancy in the rules.

I'm mostly interested in it from the perspective on whether it can claim to be a figure belonging to the group for the benefits of Skirmish Upgrade cards attached to the 'parent' group (Spoiler alert, I don't think so).

I'm mostly interested in it from the perspective on whether it can claim to be a figure belonging to the group for the benefits of Skirmish Upgrade cards attached to the 'parent' group (Spoiler alert, I don't think so).

Considering the Junk Droid is not part of the group, I would go with "no" on this one.

Here is my understanding of the Junk Droid:

Ugnaught #1 activates, plays Spot Weld to put the Junk Droid into play in the Ready position.  After the Ugnaught finishes his activation, the Junk Droid activates as part of his group, per Scrap Batallion.  It is now exhausted.

Ugnaught #2 activates. The Junk Droid is part of his group, but can't go first because it is exhausted.  The Ugnaught activates, and this readies the Junk Droid.  Spot Weld would also move and ready the Junk Droid, but Ugnaught #2 does not need to do it unless he wants to warp it to him.  After Ugnaught #2 does whatever he wants, the Junk Droid activates because it is Ready and activates as part of the group, per Scrap Batallion.

Scrap Batallion is a "game effect that allows that companion to activate as part of a different group" as mentioned in one of the bullet points in the Companion rules.

What this effectively means, is that you can have multiple Ugnaughts all remote controlling the Junk Droid across the map.

The Junk Droid is not a deployment card, so it does not ready during the Status Phase.  It also does not have skirmish attachments, it is not part of any group (only activates as part of a group), and therefore does not share anything with any group.

If there were some way for the Junk Droid to be Ready before you activated an Ugnaught, you may even be able to activate the Junk Droid, then activate the Ugnaught and Spot Weld to move the Junk Droid and Ready it, then activate the Junk Droid again.

I don't think there's a way to get it Ready before you activate though, so this is probably irrelevant.

Though, I wonder what happens if you use the Ugnuaght and then it is killed mid-activation with Parting Blow.  Maybe that's a way you could strand the Junk Droid in the Ready state?  The group would leave play so the Junk Droid would stay in play but couldn't activate as part of that group anymore.

That seems to be what the rules say right now, unless there are some clarifications.

Edited by DTDanix
a1bert likes this

I hope we get an answer to this before our regionals in the off chance somebody tries this out.

FFG has a cooling period for questions after each product is released, so you may be in for a wait... or not.

If that's the case...

RogueLieutenant, what would your ruling be if someone were able to convince thier wife to visit her favorite cousin in Fargo, ND next weekend and they just happened to have brought along thier IA stuff with them and happen to get the opportunity to slip out of the house on Saturday?

Haha well I'm not the head judge, but I'm sure you'd be able to make your case as us Fargo IA players are pretty chill. I will send this thread to the guy who's judging on Saturday

Here's my understanding.

You can only have 1 Junk Droid per player at any 1 time. 

Spot weld - action - place Junk Droid. It is placed in a "ready" state.

Scrap battalion (yes it does seem to be misspelled on the card unless that's the US spelling or something?) -  THE Junk Droid readies at the start of your activation.

Basically the JD readies at the start of ALL Ugnaught activations. Thus multiple Ugs can use the same JD. If you spot weld, you can remove the JD from the map and place it somewhere adjacent (in the ready state). 

The ownership of the droid belongs to the Ug that last used spot weld. 

As for attachments... I don't think you can give it last resort but it's not explicitly mentioned. I'd say the intent is for that to not apply but I can see how it could go either way. 

Basically the JD readies at the start of ALL Ugnaught activations. Thus multiple Ugs can use the same JD. If you spot weld, you can remove the JD from the map and place it him somewhere adjacent (in the ready state). 

My_Night_to_Remember.jpg

This has serious crossover potential.

Edited by Don_Silvarro
Strawhat and weaponxmerc like this

Here's my understanding.

Scrap battalion (yes it does seem to be misspelled on the card unless that's the US spelling or something?) -  THE Junk Droid readies at the start of your activation.

Basically the JD readies at the start of ALL Ugnaught activations. Thus multiple Ugs can use the same JD. If you spot weld, you can remove the JD from the map and place it somewhere adjacent (in the ready state). 

This is exactly right, per one of the designers of Bespin.

Edited by tropoFarmer

Here's my understanding.

This is exactly right, per one of the designers of Bespin.

Ok but what does this tell us about how it would interact with Last Resort? 

Companions activate with the group they are associated with (or as allowed by other abilities), but I would not say they are ever part of the group.

Edited by a1bert
tropoFarmer likes this

Companions activate with the group they are associated with (or as allowed by other abilities), but I would not say they are ever part of the group.

That's my instinct as well - at least until the 'honeymoon' period of grace is over and FFG is answering rules questions again (or, even, puts out a new FAQ).

I tend to agree, that the JD doesn't get the attachments of the figure that created it. Almost positive that's the case, but I'll ask next time I can.

Considering the Junk Droid is not part of the group, I would go with "no" on this one.

Here is my understanding of the Junk Droid:

Ugnaught #1 activates, plays Spot Weld to put the Junk Droid into play in the Ready position.  After the Ugnaught finishes his activation, the Junk Droid activates as part of his group, per Scrap Batallion.  It is now exhausted.

Ugnaught #2 activates. The Junk Droid is part of his group, but can't go first because it is exhausted.  The Ugnaught activates, and this readies the Junk Droid.  Spot Weld would also move and ready the Junk Droid, but Ugnaught #2 does not need to do it unless he wants to warp it to him.  After Ugnaught #2 does whatever he wants, the Junk Droid activates because it is Ready and activates as part of the group, per Scrap Batallion.

Scrap Batallion is a "game effect that allows that companion to activate as part of a different group" as mentioned in one of the bullet points in the Companion rules.

What this effectively means, is that you can have multiple Ugnaughts all remote controlling the Junk Droid across the map.

The Junk Droid is not a deployment card, so it does not ready during the Status Phase.  It also does not have skirmish attachments, it is not part of any group (only activates as part of a group), and therefore does not share anything with any group.

If there were some way for the Junk Droid to be Ready before you activated an Ugnaught, you may even be able to activate the Junk Droid, then activate the Ugnaught and Spot Weld to move the Junk Droid and Ready it, then activate the Junk Droid again.

I don't think there's a way to get it Ready before you activate though, so this is probably irrelevant.

Though, I wonder what happens if you use the Ugnuaght and then it is killed mid-activation with Parting Blow.  Maybe that's a way you could strand the Junk Droid in the Ready state?  The group would leave play so the Junk Droid would stay in play but couldn't activate as part of that group anymore.

That seems to be what the rules say right now, unless there are some clarifications.

Written an article on my interpretation. would be grateful if you could check it out and see if you draw the same conclusions.

I have quoted rules taken directly from the rule books where necessary too.

https://wompratsblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/ugnaught-rules-lawyer/

cheers. 

Received an answer from FFG so I guess the grace period is over:

1. Is a companion considered part of a group with which it is associated for purposes of attachments? Example: an Ugnaught unit has brought a Junk Droid into play. The Ugnaught has the Last Resort skirmish attachment. Can the Junk Droid use Last Resort?

The Junk Droid is not considered, for the purposes of abilities, to be a part of the Ugnaught’s group. So, you could not trigger last resort when it is defeated.

2. Can an Ugnaught ready and activate a friendly Junk Droid by use of Scrap Battalion even if that group was not used to bring the Junk Droid into the game?

Example: a player's force contains one regular Ugnaught group and two elite Ugnaught groups. During an activation, the regular Ugnaught group brings the Junk Droid not play via Spot Weld. The Junk Droid is now associated with the regular Ugnaught group. Is the wording of Scrap Battalion such that the elite Ugnaught groups, when activated, will also activate the Junk Droid in play as if it were a part of the activating elite Ugnaught group even though they did not bring it into play and it is not currently associated with said group?

The Junk Droid can activate before or after each of your Ugnaughts, not only the one that originally put it into play.

a1bert, RogueLieutenant and vapodge like this

Wonderful.

This happens to be how I have been playing it, casually.  Glad to eventually hear the clarifications.

Thanks to all those who chased up an answer from FFG.  Appreciated.

There is perhaps one outstanding question that I think we know the answer to.

An Ugnaught activates and triggers 'Scrap Battalion' thus readying the droid.  During the Ugnaught's activation the figure (Ugnaught) is removed from play.

Can the readied droid still perform its activation?  Or must it wait for the next 'Scrap Batallion' to trigger because there is no 'after' once the Ugnaught is no longger in play?