Sign in to follow this  
MikeNYHC

One Junk Droid?

Reading the Rulebook for Bespin suggests to me that in skirmish or camping you can only have one Junk Droid on the board. This seems to dash hopes of an Ughnaut/Junk Droid army.

Am I missing something or misreading?

You can only have 1 per player on the board at any one time. 

However that junk droid activates at the start of ANY Ugnaught activation. 

So you can have 3 ugnaughts and they all control the same junk droid. That droid would get 3 activations per turn, in the case of 3 Ugnaughts. 

That being said, I don't think it's worth the points since it's a crappy single dice attack and they can't interact, open doors or block LOS/movement. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz

That being said, I don't think it's worth the points since it's a crappy single dice attack and they can't interact, open doors or block LOS/movement. 

Pretty much.  Also they don't count for controlling terminals or objectives.   :angry:

I am disappointed with Ugnaughts.  I really hope this is some kind of plan by FFG to release something in a future expansion to make them worthwhile, because as an imperial campaign player/DM I am looking at them and scratching my head a little.

The Junk Droid still readies at the beginning of each Ugnaught's activation (due to Scrap Batallion), so it can activate upto 3 times on a round. I think it is much more flexible than separate Junk Droids could ever be.

(Personally I think Companions may be a little too fiddly anyway. It remains to be seen.)

Edited by a1bert

The Junk Droid still readies at the beginning of each Ugnaught's activation, so it can activate upto 3 times on a round. I think it is much more flexible than separate Junk Droids could ever be.

(Personally I think Companions may be a little too fiddly anyway. It remains to be seen.)

I'm just waiting for the monkey lizard companion now. :P Or a Gonk droid. 

So if I'm reading this correctly, you CAN put last resort on the Ughnaught and use it when the Junk Droid is defeated. Then bring the droid back (without last resort of course). Is that correct?

Is the Junk Droid considered a figure in the Ugnaught's group? If that's how the companion rules read then yeah it seems like that would work. That'd be a neat strategy. 

So if I'm reading this correctly, you CAN put last resort on the Ughnaught and use it when the Junk Droid is defeated. Then bring the droid back (without last resort of course). Is that correct?

Is the Junk Droid considered a figure in the Ugnaught's group? If that's how the companion rules read then yeah it seems like that would work. That'd be a neat strategy. 

I'm still of the mind that it doesn't work:

COMPANIONS

A Companion is a new type of support figure that is put into play through various game effects and is associated with a hero or group.

Scrap Battalion (I haven't checked, is "battallion" misspelled on the actual card or just in the preview version): The Junk Droid readies at the start of your activation. It activates as though it was a part of your group and may use your surge abilities.

Last Resort: Deplete this card when a figure in this group has suffered damage equal to its Health.

Personally, I think the JD just activates as if it was a part of the group and is only associated to said group during that activation; it does not become an actual part of the group. 

Needs to be ruled on though as there is no precedence to my knowledge and one could easily interpret that during the activation the JD does become part of the group.

I'm still of the mind that it doesn't work:

COMPANIONS

A Companion is a new type of support figure that is put into play through various game effects and is associated with a hero or group.

Scrap Battalion (I haven't checked, is "battallion" misspelled on the actual card or just in the preview version): The Junk Droid readies at the start of your activation. It activates as though it was a part of your group and may use your surge abilities.

Last Resort: Deplete this card when a figure in this group has suffered damage equal to its Health.

Personally, I think the JD just activates as if it was a part of the group and is only associated to said group during that activation; it does not become an actual part of the group. 

Needs to be ruled on though as there is no precedence to my knowledge and one could easily interpret that during the activation the JD does become part of the group.

Yeah reading the wording you've got here I would also lean towards he's not a technical member of the group and you can't use him as a droid filled with thermal detonators... :(

rnTCGzu.jpg

Edited by RogueLieutenant

You're missing the part that says:

"When a companion is put into play, place the companion card faceup in the ready position near its associated Deployment Card or Hero Sheet. Then, place its token on the map as indicated by the effect putting it into play".

Highlighted in red denotes ownership. The Junk Droid would not ready multiple times each time you activate multiple Ugnaughts, unless those Ugnaughts are bringing the Junk Droid into play, at which point, the Junk Droid companion card would move to the other Ugnaught.

Ugnaughts can move the Junk Droid between themselves using their ╔► ability, and the Junk Droid would be removed from the map, and enter play again (which would ready the Junk Droid).

The subtlety here is that the Junk Droid could not be activated multiple times from its existing position on the board. It will only ready when:

A) It is brought into play. (At which point, the junk droid could activate after the Ugnaught)

B1) Skirmish: Part 1 of the Status Phase (Ready Cards),

B2) Campaign: Part 2 of the Status Phase (Ready)

Edited by Fizz

"When a companion is put into play, place the companion card faceup in the ready position near its associated Deployment Card or Hero Sheet. Then, place its token on the map as indicated by the effect putting it into play".

Highlighted in red. The Junk Droid would only ready when the Ugnaught who brought it into play activates.

Not necessarily.

"When a group that is associated with a companion leaves play, the companion remains in play but can no longer activate unless a game effect allows that companion to activate as part of a different group."

One could extrapolate from the above that there are game effects that override companion rules and allow them to activate as a part of a different group.  Scrap Battalion seems to meet that.

EDIT:

If the JD was designed to only activate in conjunction with an Ugnaught that brought it into play, then Scrap Battalion is extremely redundant.  The Companion rules already explain activation of a companion.  Restating it again on Scrap Battalion is not needed and should have just been: The Junk Droid can use your Surge abilities.

That's where the subtlety lies.  The inclusion of that language allows an Ugnaught who did not bring the companion into the game the ability to ready it and activate it as if it were a part of its group.

I cannot truly believe that FFG purposefully created the Ugnaughts to be effectively useless if each one HAS to bring the droid into the game in order to "control" it.

Edited by FSD

I guess it doesn't say anywhere that "Cards and abilities that affect the group associated with a companion also affect that companion," just that they activate as part of that group. But yeah, it would be great to get an official ruling.

Highlighted in red. The Junk Droid would only ready when the Ugnaught who brought it into play activates.

Not necessarily.

"When a group that is associated with a companion leaves play, the companion remains in play but can no longer activate unless a game effect allows that companion to activate as part of a different group."

One could extrapolate from the above that there are game effects that override companion rules and allow them to activate as a part of a different group.  Scrap Battalion seems to meet that.

EDIT:

If the JD was designed to only activate in conjunction with an Ugnaught that brought it into play, then Scrap Battalion is extremely redundant.  The Companion rules already explain activation of a companion when it is brought into play.  Restating it again on Scrap Battalion is not needed and should have just been: The Junk Droid can use your Surge abilities.

That's where the subtlety lies.  The inclusion of that language allows an Ugnaught who did not bring the companion into the game the ability to activate it as if it were a part of its group.

I cannot truly believe that FFG purposefully created the Ugnaughts to be effectively useless if each one HAS to bring the droid into the game in order to "control" it.

Scrap Battalion does allow the JD to use the controller's surge abilities. But you're right that the "ready" language is redundant. Dont have bespin in front of me, but there are 1 or 2 other companions in the box, right? Do they share the same language redundancy?

I believe the Junk Droid is part of associated with the group of the Ugnaught who "summoned" it (readies when it readies and activates before or after the controller according to Companion rules), and Scrap Batallion is a separate ability which allows the Junk Droid to ready and activate as if it were part of that Ugnaught's group.

(Nothing about readying in the Companion cards, nor in the cards that put Cam Droid and R5 Astromech into play.)

Edited by a1bert

Scrap Battalion's ready language would not be redundant if companion cards do not ready like normal deployment cards. I'll read more when I get home.

Technically R5 Astromech and Cam Droid would not even need to ready, because the R5 Astromech and Cam Droid Accessory cards explicitly tell to activate them at the start or end of the hero's activation.

The companion rules do not seem to say when to ready the companions, but say that companion cards enter the game ready, so they must be intended to be exhausted and readied like deployment cards or activation tokens (probably part of the "normal rules for figures").

· When a group that is associated with a companion
  leaves play, the companion remains in play but can
  no longer activate unless a game effect allows that
  companion to activate as part of a different group.

The above seems a fitting clarification that allows Scrap Batallion to keep using the Junk Droid after the original Ugnaught has been defeated without needing to use Spot Weld.

I believe the Junk Droid is part of the group of the Ugnaught who "summoned" it (readies when it readies and activates before or after the controller according to Companion rules), and Scrap Batallion is a separate ability which allows the Junk Droid to ready and activate as if it were part of that Ugnaught's group.

(Nothing about readying in the Companion cards, nor in the cards that put Cam Droid and R5 Astromech into play.)

Dang, a1bert.  You might be right (and I'm crossing my fingers that you are).

I was looking at Scrap Battalion as a means of discounting ownership of the JD by any one specific Ugnaught.  As we've discussed this in more depth, I'm now thinking it's more of a way to bypass "ownership" of the JD.  Fizz's reasoning that the Ugnaught that brings it in makes the JD a part of the group "by association" could allow a JD to make use of Last Resort. 

It makes bookkeeping easy:

I want to use Last Resort on the JD. 

Is the Junk Droid companion card next to the Deployment Card of an Ugnaught with Last Resort attached?

If so, the droid can explode.

Scrap Battalion allows for the ready and activation of a "non-owned" JD but does not technically make it a part of the group for purposes of Last Resort.

I'm officially flipping my stance on JD/Last Resort.  Please let it be true because I really want to see if Bomb-bots can be a portion of a viable Merc  list.

Edited by FSD

Scrap Battalion's ready language would not be redundant if companion cards do not ready like normal deployment cards. I'll read more when I get home.

I kinda tossed this out there as a lark, but Companion Cards are not Deployment Cards, Imperial Class Cards, Activation Tokens, Item Cards or Hero Class cards, and they follow all the rules for figures (plus Companion rules), not deployment cards. There was no addendum in Bespin for when Companion Cards Ready. We only make the extrapolation that all exhausted cards become ready because that's what we have been doing since forever.

Status Phase in a Skirmish, RRG, Page 23

1. Ready Cards: Both players ready all of their Deployment cards.

Status Phase in a Campaign, RRG, Page 23

2. Ready: The Imperial player readies all of his exhausted Class and Deployment cards. Each hero also readies all of his activation tokens by flipping them green-side faceup.

-- Hero Class cards and Item cards are readied at the start of that hero’s activation, not during the Status Phase.

I honestly believe the intention is that ╔► Spot Weld "attaches" the companion to that specific deployment card, and that the language of Scrap Battalion is such to ensure the "attached" companion is able to ready. This would still allow another Ugnaught to "steal" the attached Companion by using ╔► Spot Weld.

I don't believe the intention is to have multiple Ugnaughts "remote piloting" a single "drone" droid.

But in answer to the question, yes. I believe that any skirmish attachments (such as "Last Resort") would affect an attached Junk Droid.

Edited by Fizz

I hope we get an answer to this before our regionals in the off chance somebody tries this out.

I've sent both questions in for clarification. I'm 99% sure on the interpretation of Scrap Battalion but I figured I'd better get a ruling on it too for the good of the whole community.