clontroper5

Whats Your Username Orgin Story?

Mine should be fairly obvious, except for the number. Most assume it's my birth year, it is not. It's actually the date that Nagash killed his brother and seized control of Khemri. It's technically a negative number, since year 0 on the Imperial Calendar was Sigmar being crowned and Nagash took over 1959 years prior to that. Also fun fact, I sometimes use Nagash2000 for things, which again people assume to be my birth year but is actually Nagashs. 

A long long time ago in a...well, where I'm still at, actually, sometime in the mid 90ties, at the tender age of 17 I discovered Dungeons and Dragons, back when 2nd edition was cutting edge gaming science, you know with Players Option Skills and Powers, Combat and Tactics with tables, after tables needed to determine whether your critical hit may have grazed someone's forehead inflicting  a -1 penalty to Thac0 (the good old days when you had to count backwards to determine whether you hit someone, not this sissy adding that 3rd ed introduced for the mathematically challenged Millenials). 

Started playing Dragonlance, then discovered Dark Sun and DMed  it for several years, before my MA and PhD studies took me out of the country and the tabletop roleplaying days went the path of the Dodo bird. 

During that time, however, I read the novel "Rise and Fall of a Dragon King" by Lynn Abbey, not a literary masterwork by any measure, but its theme of genocide (Dark Sun is a setting in which the arch-bad guy exterminated pretty much all the standard races and turned the planet Athas into a Mad Max/Dune crossbreed where everyone's out to get you, the halflings are maneaters and the elves are bandits) resonated with me, seeing how ethnic cleansing was in vogue in the Balkans where I make my home. 

Anyhow, to cut this expose short, the title character of said book was one of the sorcerer kings of Athas, who exterminated trolls and had suffered from pangs of conscience for the better part of the millennium and devoted his energies to the preservation of his city, ultimately sacrificing himself to prevent the return of his old master, the genocidal maniac who started it all.

That guys name was Hamanu and this has been my nickname all over the internet ever since.... 

And then I had to ad a 1 because someone registered it here some years ago and vanished. :D

Edited by Hamanu1

I used a different username for a while (still do for email and things), but at some point my wife wanted me to sign up for some Disney forum, and I decided to find a new username.

And Tale Spin is awesome, so I decided to make the switch for pretty much all of my board usernames.

And I still want to find a model (or convert) of the Iron Vulture to use as an MC80 replacement.

WG = my initials

NF = never forget

911 = September 11, 2001

and I never will.

I never will.

Thought I was watching a TV movie or series at first until it dawned on me I was watching the news. When I first started watching TV one tower was smoking and then I watched the second plane hit.

It was the only day I remember never changing the channel. I sat glued to the screen all the way through the night until about 4/5 the next morning.

People jumping from the buildings in a vain attempt to survive. I watched that, and the buildings collapsing, live on the news. It's something I hope never to see in real life again.

What sums up the day, at least in my mind, was a fireman sat crying on an ash covered pavement.

But thanks to movies and TV the twin towers are immortal. Though absent in the New York skyline their memory stands forever.

I may be a Brit. I may be a man. But that day I cried, upset at the suffering of my fellow humans across the water.

Edited by Tyres Kem

Ice Hockey - when I got Xbox Live (and needed a name), my favorite current player was Henrik Zetterberg from the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings wear, you guessed it, Red, and Zetterberg is number 40. Forty In Red.

It made a lot more sense playing NHL 09, but the name stuck. 

Ice Hockey - when I got Xbox Live (and needed a name), my favorite current player was Henrik Zetterberg from the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings wear, you guessed it, Red, and Zetterberg is number 40. Forty In Red.

It made a lot more sense playing NHL 09, but the name stuck.

Thats a unique story! Thanks for sharing :)

@Everyone, Awesome posts! I really do find these stories fascinating so thanks to everyone that posted! :)

There was an online Star Wars Simulation back in the late 90's called the Galactic Conquest Sim.  Everyone involved had a character who was assigned command of a Star Wars Capital ship.  We had fleet battles, and a lot of RPG-esque interactions using posting boards similar (though obviously much simpler) to these.  We essentially were telling our own version of the Star Wars saga post ROTJ (this was before a LOT of the EU Books).  At it's peake, we had around 100 members from 4 continents (with new signups constantly flowing in) and a permanent IRC chat room which always had at least a few folks in it.

As the creator of the sim, my role was primarily moderator, but my character was Emperor Drevel Xindell (Dark Side force user of course, and I had a purple lightsaber before Mace Windu!).  Don't really remember how I came up with the name (I did always liked the idea of an X that sounds like a Z), but it has stuck ever since and I use it pretty much everywhere.  On the extremely rare occasion that Xindell isn't available, I use DXindell, D.Xindell or D_Xindell.   :)

Edited by Xindell

I used a different username for a while (still do for email and things), but at some point my wife wanted me to sign up for some Disney forum, and I decided to find a new username.

And Tale Spin is awesome, so I decided to make the switch for pretty much all of my board usernames.

And I still want to find a model (or convert) of the Iron Vulture to use as an MC80 replacement.

Y'know, I always hoped that was how your name was pronounced. #talespin4life

Y'know, I always hoped that was how your name was pronounced. #talespin4life

I tried to change my profile pic, but failed. But now I'm trying a signature=)

A Japanese friend of mine was unable to pronounce  gothic and it came out as Gosric. Later i needed a space pirate for a Space Battleship Yamato inspired game i was going to do and couldnt think of a last name i liked. But then i remembered the mispronounciation and Captain Einar Gosric was born. And to cut a long story short i liked it so kept it

There was an online Star Wars Simulation back in the late 90's called the Galactic Conquest Sim.  Everyone involved had a character who was assigned command of a Star Wars Capital ship.  We had fleet battles, and a lot of RPG-esque interactions using posting boards similar (though obviously much simpler) to these.  We essentially were telling our own version of the Star Wars saga post ROTJ (this was before a LOT of the EU Books).  At it's peake, we had around 100 members from 4 continents (with new signups constantly flowing in) and a permanent IRC chat room which always had at least a few folks in it.

As the creator of the sim, my role was primarily moderator, but my character was Emperor Drevel Xindell (Dark Side force user of course, and I had a purple lightsaber before Mace Windu!).  Don't really remember how I came up with the name (I did always liked the idea of an X that sounds like a Z), but it has stuck ever since and I use it pretty much everywhere.  On the extremely rare occasion that Xindell isn't available, I use DXindell, D.Xindell or D_Xindell.   :)

Whoa...was this back on the AOL groups? Cause this sounds shockingly like what I remember playing.

Whoa...was this back on the AOL groups? Cause this sounds shockingly like what I remember playing.

There were a couple of other sims who used the AOL groups (they were pretenders though, Galactic Conquest was the best of it's era :) ).  We had a full webpage that I had set up on to run everything (still remember the URL:  galactic.nethosting.com), and as I said the 'chat' room was on Internet Relay Chat.  AOL was too limiting to folks who used AOL, so we kept it primarily web page based.  Do you remember the character name(s) you used back then?

There were a couple of other sims who used the AOL groups (they were pretenders though, Galactic Conquest was the best of it's era :) ).  We had a full webpage that I had set up on to run everything (still remember the URL:  galactic.nethosting.com), and as I said the 'chat' room was on Internet Relay Chat.  AOL was too limiting to folks who used AOL, so we kept it primarily web page based.  Do you remember the character name(s) you used back then?

Honestly no. I may have used my Last name, I know two of my friends used Subzer and SithL2 but I'm sure we had full character names. Or something...

Wow I never realized that all these names have a story. I'll admit, many of them seem random, but it's nice to know the background now. The same goes for any username out there too. They are always so mysterious.

As for me, I used to run a lot in high school and so I finally bought a GPS watch to track my running routes. However, I needed a user name to log in online. I figured I'd have a neat name like "coolrunner" or "fastrunner" but everything good was taken. So, I finally just gave up and put in "Sillyrunner" and it worked. I've been Sillyrunner ever since. Sometimes I'll run around in circles acting "silly" when gaming online to keep the persona.

Wow I never realized that all these names have a story. I'll admit, many of them seem random, but it's nice to know the background now. The same goes for any username out there too. They are always so mysterious.

As for me, I used to run a lot in high school and so I finally bought a GPS watch to track my running routes. However, I needed a user name to log in online. I figured I'd have a neat name like "coolrunner" or "fastrunner" but everything good was taken. So, I finally just gave up and put in "Sillyrunner" and it worked. I've been Sillyrunner ever since. Sometimes I'll run around in circles acting "silly" when gaming online to keep the persona.

so... What about JBar?

I love Star Wars.

Disney has taken over Star Wars.

My favourite (none Star Wars) Disney character is Buzz Lightyear.

Though my Edge of the Empire character is a Clone, I'm secretly working on a Buzz Lightyear inspired character who will truly be ME in the Star Wars universe. He'll take on the name of Tukk when the original dies.

So I have Buzz Lightyear.

Opposite of light is dark, and I felt that darkhour was lame so went for Darknoon.

At school I reminded people of someone called Tucker. Shortened version of Tucker, with a K instead of a C.

Thus Tukk Darknoon was born.

Edited by Tukk Darknoon