Sign in to follow this  
ChewfalconSolo

Bombs and friendly fire?

Hey guys.

I'm experimenting with Ion bombs on my Y-Wing. However I ran into an interesting argument.

Does the Y-Wing get ionized because it dropped it? Does my Falcon in Range 1 of it get Ionized as well?

So confused on how this works.

If you plan your move to not end within Range 1 of the Bombs, your Y-Wing should be good. It does not detonate until after every ships has activated so you measure for Range once you've moved/done actions with all the ships. And if your Falcon ends up in Range 1 at the end of the Activation Phase, then yes, it gets Ionized. Bombs do not tell friend from foe.

as above, bombs don't discriminate (sabine somehow can, but that's another discussion)

their range is designed such that you WILL clear your bomb even if you do a 1-foward move, provided you complete said move. If you get blocked, you're probably taking the bomb to the face as well

of course, there are always situations in which it's absolutely worth it to take your own bomb damage

12322592_10156891122250142_2652982102495

12819300_10156573562425142_2556825169719

as above, bombs don't discriminate (sabine somehow can, but that's another discussion)

their range is designed such that you WILL clear your bomb even if you do a 1-foward move, provided you complete said move. If you get blocked, you're probably taking the bomb to the face as well

of course, there are always situations in which it's absolutely worth it to take your own bomb damage

12322592_10156891122250142_2652982102495

12819300_10156573562425142_2556825169719

Yeah. I once had a situation where I dropped a Proton Bomb on my own IG-88, simply because Soontir Fel was also going to be in the blast radius.

friendly fire even though it is not likely can happen in X-wing. Bombs and mines as you already mention can affect friendly or enemy ships, same for secondary weapons that have an area of effect such as assault missiles or ion torpedoes, or you might have a pilot ability/upgrade that has an effect that can damage nearby ships like ruthlessness.  However because positioning is such an important part of X-wing it is not likely that you would run into the scenarios but it is possible.

Hey guys.

I'm experimenting with Ion bombs on my Y-Wing. However I ran into an interesting argument.

Does the Y-Wing get ionized because it dropped it? Does my Falcon in Range 1 of it get Ionized as well?

So confused on how this works.

Note that the ion bomb explodes at the end of the activation *phase* after everyone has moved and taken actions, not immediately after you drop it.  As long as you're not blocked and don't do any repositioning, it should be impossible for you to be hit by your own manoeuvre bomb, as you will always end up at least 3 base lengths away from it (a 1 straight back to drop it, a base length for your base, and a 1 straight forward being the slowest you can go), which is outside range 1 of it.

But yes, your own bombs can harm your own ships, in general.

Remember that you drop your Ion Bomb before you move, so you drop it and then get out of the way.  Or....you don't and you get Ionized!

With my 4 Tie Bomber list and 4 Seismic Charges, I've hit my own guys before, but it can be worth it for taking that one damage on a 6 hp Bomber if you can do the damage to either more than 1 enemy ship or a tough one.  

I had a terrible idea involving friendly fire.  A scum y-wing with bomb loadout and proton bombs, and then as many dead man switch Zs as you can fit (5).  If you hit the whole formation, all the Zs take a face up damage card.  If three of them pull a double damage crit, they all go leading to a chain reaction of 5 unavoidable damage to everything in range 1.

Edit: and rock bottom MoV, every game!

Edited by AEIllingworth

yup bombs work on everyone.

Usually when you drop a bomb you want to get out of there. I did a 1speed bank with my decimater once after dropping a bomb because i know the 3 shmucks behind me were going to ram into me. Anti-pursuit lasers did a damage to 2 of them, seismic charge hurt all 4 of us. Well worth it lol

Ive also extremely poorly set up clustermines where my TIE Fighter was forced to fly through all 3. Oops lol