Sign in to follow this  
DTDanix

Answers to some rules queries

I made a few rules queries and thought I'd share the answers I just received from Paul Winchester:

Question:​ For the command card Jundland Terror, which grants 2 movement points and an attack or special action at the end of round, can you do either of the following? A) Do the attack, then move 2. B) Move 1, do the attack, then move 1 more. Or is the only valid option to move 2 then do the attack?

Exact Answer: "Option A is valid but option B is not."

Question: At the end of a round, I play the command card Jundland Terror to move my Bantha 2 spaces, land on an unit dealing stampede damage, then use Trample. When the enemy takes damage, can I play the command card Opportunistic to move the same Bantha 3 spaces and land on another enemy unit to deal Stampede damage? The reason I'm asking is because during the Bantha's activation, this wouldn't work since the rules around Massive prevent the Bantha from moving after it displaces another figure.

Answer "The restriction on a massive figure only being able to end its movement once in an activation also restricts its ending its movement more than once during the “End of Round” so you could not use both of those Command Card effects at once."

Question: Does Hunter Protocol work for all surge abilities, or just 1?

Answer: "Hunter Protocol allows you to use any surge ability up to twice, not just one of them."

Question: Let's say both players have end of round cards to play. I want to play Ferocity and my Opponent wants to play Jundland Terror. He has initiative. Must I reveal Ferocity at the same time he reveals Jundland Terror, or do I wait for him to use any end of round effects before I use my end of round effects. This is important because he could, for example, kill the creature I wanted to play Ferocity on with his Jundland Terror action on a Tusken Raider.

Answer: "In the “End of Round” timing window, the player with initiative uses all of his effects with that timing window first, followed by the player without initiative, so you would not need to reveal Ferocity until after your opponent’s effects had fully resolved."

I made a few rules queries and thought I'd share the answers I just received from Paul Winchester:

Question:​ For the command card Jundland Terror, which grants 2 movement points and an attack or special action at the end of round, can you do either of the following? A) Do the attack, then move 2. B) Move 1, do the attack, then move 1 more. Or is the only valid option to move 2 then do the attack?

Exact Answer: "Option A is valid but option B is not."

Question: At the end of a round, I play the command card Jundland Terror to move my Bantha 2 spaces, land on an unit dealing stampede damage, then use Trample. When the enemy takes damage, can I play the command card Opportunistic to move the same Bantha 3 spaces and land on another enemy unit to deal Stampede damage? The reason I'm asking is because during the Bantha's activation, this wouldn't work since the rules around Massive prevent the Bantha from moving after it displaces another figure.

Answer "The restriction on a massive figure only being able to end its movement once in an activation also restricts its ending its movement more than once during the “End of Round” so you could not use both of those Command Card effects at once."

Question: Does Hunter Protocol work for all surge abilities, or just 1?

Answer: "Hunter Protocol allows you to use any surge ability up to twice, not just one of them."

Question: Let's say both players have end of round cards to play. I want to play Ferocity and my Opponent wants to play Jundland Terror. He has initiative. Must I reveal Ferocity at the same time he reveals Jundland Terror, or do I wait for him to use any end of round effects before I use my end of round effects. This is important because he could, for example, kill the creature I wanted to play Ferocity on with his Jundland Terror action on a Tusken Raider.

Answer: "In the “End of Round” timing window, the player with initiative uses all of his effects with that timing window first, followed by the player without initiative, so you would not need to reveal Ferocity until after your opponent’s effects had fully resolved."

Highlighted section in red: For those of you wondering, this is what we mean by the term "mini-activation", where a model activates outside it's activation but not interrupting another figure's activation.

Please PM me the source email, and I will add these to the FAQ.

It actually sounds like, at least for the massive movement restriction rule, the "End of Round" is treated as a single activation.

Based on this response, I don't think you could even Jundland on Bantha to move onto something, ferocity with nexu, opportunistic Bantha.  That won't work according to this answer.

I've copied the whole contents of the email here, so there is nothing else to send you.

It's not universal though. I consider this a special case just to make the Massive movement rules consistent. End of Round itself is not anyone's activation. (For example no once per activation abilities can be used when mission rules let a hero perform attacks because no activation is happening.)

So this should not be any indication that any ability or action during End of Round would automatically be a mini-activation (although most probably an action granted during end of round produces a mini-activation while just attacks or moves do not).