Sign in to follow this  
LordTesla

Official LED/Fiber Optic/Lit Starship Thread!

Yun has Linux on a chip, basically an Arduino version of the Raspberry Pi but more focused on Arduino-types of things. Because it's running Linux and has a USB port and a MicroSD slot, you can treat it like a computer in some ways. To play audio from an Uno, you'll need an additional board (and there are some shields) that has an MicroSD slot and a way to connect a speaker, typically via headphone jack or speaker wire. A shield is the simplest but most expensive route.

SparkFun Arduino shield: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12660($24.95)

SainSmart Uno clone: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-uno-r3-atmega328p-development-board-compatible-with-arduino-uno-r3.html($9.95)

I am looking forward to do a lighting mod for an interdictor and I was curious whether anyone has cut one open yet?    It looks like its assembled a little different from the vsds or isds and I was interested in a preview before i started cutting into things.   

I am looking forward to do a lighting mod for an interdictor and I was curious whether anyone has cut one open yet?    It looks like its assembled a little different from the vsds or isds and I was interested in a preview before i started cutting into things.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Unfortunately I have not yet. When i do I will post pictures

You guys need to do a list of supplies and a step by step I would love to learn to do this.

I second this!

Some of the projects linked had good pictures of the layouts, but for someone completely new to it like myself, where do we start?  How do we decide what battery, what are the different kinds and sizes of LEDs, how long do batteries last and how can you make them last longer, the basics?

Is there a website somewhere that goes over this?

I have the Homeworld Remastered Collector's edition with the LED-lit replica of the mothership.  It has a USB cord to power the LEDs - is there something like this that can be used to charge a rechargeable battery for Armada ships to avoid having to open the ship and replace the batteries?

You guys need to do a list of supplies and a step by step I would love to learn to do this.

I second this!

Some of the projects linked had good pictures of the layouts, but for someone completely new to it like myself, where do we start?  How do we decide what battery, what are the different kinds and sizes of LEDs, how long do batteries last and how can you make them last longer, the basics?

I have the Homeworld Remastered Collector's edition with the LED-lit replica of the mothership.  It has a USB cord to power the LEDs - is there something like this that can be used to charge a rechargeable battery for Armada ships to avoid having to open the ship and replace the batteries?

Opening the ship is going to be required regardless. I have mine put back together via mini magnets with the switch on the interior, and that seems to work pretty well. When it's finished I'll throw pictures here.

Opening the ship is going to be required regardless. I have mine put back together via mini magnets with the switch on the interior, and that seems to work pretty well. When it's finished I'll throw pictures here.

For some reason, while I knew this - how else to get everything inside? - I was operating under the assumption that once put back together, I wouldn't be opening the ship up, so I was wanting a switch and recharge cord on the outside or hidden under a panel or something.  That might be more appropriate for X-Wing huge ships rather than Armada.  I'm glad you pointed it out and set me straight. :D

I've seen armada ships lit that way, and it definitely is fancy. But when I was doing it I was having a hard time getting the switch to provide enough resistance to actually flip. It is more a symptom of my ineptitude than my preference for switch location, but it works fine and doesn't really detract from the overall ship.

I second this!

I'm working on another ISD right now and taking pictures as I go. I plan on posting a guide when its all done. Although I will give my recommendations on parts to use I doubt I will have time/ability to go into much depth on DC electrical fundamentals and solid state devices such as LED's,  as many other people on the internet (especially Youtube) can give a much better explanation than I can.

Here's a question:

I'm planning on both lighting and painting some models. Which would be better to do first? I saw in other threads about lit models that they were going to be painted afterwards, but I'm worried that I'd get paint covering the fiber lights.

Thanks.

Edited by PiebeatsCake

The trick for me, was always to do the electrical work first...  Especially when using Fibre, you just set the cable, and make sure there's 2-3mm poking through to the outside...  

You then go and paint everything...  Then take your snips and snip the edge off, putting the fibre back to flush with the plastic - this snips away the overpaint you did, and leaves a nice clear point of light.

Are there any tips/instructions as how to handle the Rebel ships? Given the models are already painted, and after this, it's far to cool to pass something like this up (even the speaker at the bottom of the base idea sounds awesome for someone who does this).

Here are some pics I took of the Interdictor. I Gotta say there is not much space. At ts deepest it is barely 1/2cm deep.

I'm gonna have to look for a really small 6V power supply.

EDIT: Gotta find a way to upload the images. My bloody phone saves them in to high a quality for me to upload!

Edited by LordTesla

Here are some pics I took of the Interdictor. I Gotta say there is not much space. At ts deepest it is barely 1/2cm deep.

I'm gonna have to look for a really small 6V power supply.

EDIT: Gotta find a way to upload the images. My bloody phone saves them in to high a quality for me to upload!

Go to photobucket, get a free account and upload photos. After you complete an upload, there is a little icon with two chain links together, click on that. At the bottom of the list, you'll find the string you want; copy it, come to the forum, edit or open a new comment and paste that string into the block. Ta Da! You've posted a pic!

Here are mine, with a 38" SSD and repainted/yellow-lit ISD1 on the way. You can tell some of them need their battery replaced due to dimness (that ISD in the foreground gets plenty of usage :P). Credit to Danny L. for his amazing work and no credit to me for taking these with my phone. Imgur link.

GTmPy4X.jpg

ig2YWOD.jpg

Pb3g6y1.jpg

mofIGqN.jpg

mDuRzAi.jpg

KcaHSCa.jpg