Sign in to follow this  
shaner

Looking at Xizor (or Starvipers in general)

Xizor might be my favourite high PS pilot in the game right now. He's a super-interceptor that can outfight anyone else one on one at his level.

Prince Xizor (31)Veteran Instincts (1)Fire-Control System (2)Inertial Dampeners (1)Autothrusters (2)Virago (1)

How do you plan to outfight let's say a typical Soontir or Vader with that build 1v1?

Edit: whoops! Sorry for the wall of text but I have lots of Opinions on what to do with Fel courtesy of the Battleground Regionals last Sunday. I managed to take out some Fels with VI Zuckuss using similar tactics to these, just relying a bit more on K-Turns and 1-Banks.

Vader's usually easy because he doesn't have Autothrusters.

Soontir comes down a lot to initiative; let's say Fel gets to move second because that's what they want anyway. You've got a tough fight at Range 3 because of Fel's tokens, but all you want is a potshot anyway to trigger FCS.

After first combat, you're going to want to move in for a block. Easier said than done, but since Fel probably triggered PtL he's only got so many options. I always bring Rocks so he isn't going to want to hit them, and aside from that you want to look at board position; how close to the centre or corners you both are, and what Fel's options are re: fight or flight. If he can he'll swing around wide to dodge arc and come back around for a shot, usually leaning towards centre since Fel can get trapped in a corner if he isn't careful.

So odds are good a 3-Bank or 2-Straight plus Boost or Roll will get you into a good block spot from Range 3, or possibly a 1-Bank and Roll to block a 2- or 4-Straight depending. You'll want to threaten the obvious bugout route without being vulnerable to a "slow" move plus backroll.

After a successful block (or near-as-dammit not shooting at each other) Xizor has the upper hand because of his SLoops and Dampeners. A Sloop followed by a green Bank or 3-Straight will have you chasing Fel pretty solidly and makes his life harder, never mind following up with another SLoop if you can anticipate how Fel is going to turn again. With constant Target Locks you're never hurting for offensive output, you've got the advantage of the 1-Turn and 3-SLoops, and if you really think it's going to mess with him, pop your Dampeners and watch him struggle to get out of arc. The more you force Fel to keep moving the better your eventual shot will be. Range 1 in-arc and even his turtle tokens can let him down.

Yeah, but if you block him 1v1 you've gained nothing.

Xizor might be my favourite high PS pilot in the game right now. He's a super-interceptor that can outfight anyone else one on one at his level.

Prince Xizor (31)Veteran Instincts (1)Fire-Control System (2)Inertial Dampeners (1)Autothrusters (2)Virago (1)

How do you plan to outfight let's say a typical Soontir or Vader with that build 1v1?

Edit: whoops! Sorry for the wall of text but I have lots of Opinions on what to do with Fel courtesy of the Battleground Regionals last Sunday. I managed to take out some Fels with VI Zuckuss using similar tactics to these, just relying a bit more on K-Turns and 1-Banks.

Vader's usually easy because he doesn't have Autothrusters.

Soontir comes down a lot to initiative; let's say Fel gets to move second because that's what they want anyway. You've got a tough fight at Range 3 because of Fel's tokens, but all you want is a potshot anyway to trigger FCS.

After first combat, you're going to want to move in for a block. Easier said than done, but since Fel probably triggered PtL he's only got so many options. I always bring Rocks so he isn't going to want to hit them, and aside from that you want to look at board position; how close to the centre or corners you both are, and what Fel's options are re: fight or flight. If he can he'll swing around wide to dodge arc and come back around for a shot, usually leaning towards centre since Fel can get trapped in a corner if he isn't careful.

So odds are good a 3-Bank or 2-Straight plus Boost or Roll will get you into a good block spot from Range 3, or possibly a 1-Bank and Roll to block a 2- or 4-Straight depending. You'll want to threaten the obvious bugout route without being vulnerable to a "slow" move plus backroll.

After a successful block (or near-as-dammit not shooting at each other) Xizor has the upper hand because of his SLoops and Dampeners. A Sloop followed by a green Bank or 3-Straight will have you chasing Fel pretty solidly and makes his life harder, never mind following up with another SLoop if you can anticipate how Fel is going to turn again. With constant Target Locks you're never hurting for offensive output, you've got the advantage of the 1-Turn and 3-SLoops, and if you really think it's going to mess with him, pop your Dampeners and watch him struggle to get out of arc. The more you force Fel to keep moving the better your eventual shot will be. Range 1 in-arc and even his turtle tokens can let him down.

Yeah, but if you block him 1v1 you've gained nothing.

If you block him for long enough one on one you gain a modified win.  But that's a challenge...

The starviper is compared with interceptors because scum have a gaping interceptor shaped hole in their ship lineup while its more like a defender/e-wing in price to performance.

Here are my most successful StarViper builds:

Xizor (Veteran Instincts, Virago title, Fire-Control System, Autothrusters)

Syndicate Thug (Autoblaster Turret, Unhinged Astromech)  x3

100 points

Talonbane (Crack Shot, Glitterstim, Engine Unpgrade))

Guri (Predator, Virago title, Sensor Jammer, Autothrusters)

Syndicate Thug (Twin Laser Turret, Unhinged Astromech)

100 points

Black Sun Enforcer (Autothrusters)  x2

Black Sun Ace (Predator)

Cartel Marauder

100 points

Granted, all were played before Wave 8. I also tried Guri (Predator, Virago title, Sensor Jammer, Autothrusters) + 3 Cartel Marauders once and liked it. I think the StarViper is a great ship. Hopefully there will be some sort of boost to it once Scum & Villainy gets an aces pack.

Edited by admat

I just don't understand why some think the Starviper is over cost. I personally love the base PS1 Starviper. Add Autothrusters and they are hard to predict, can block, and hit hard. I like to fly two of them with a loaded Kath.

The down side of the Starviper is lack of EPT on genetics, and the added expense of the named pilots who can equip the title. If all starviper could equip a system, you'd see them all over the place. The dice can make

or break the ship.

27 points on a PS1 is really hard to stomach and the ship still isn't that survivable.  Dial's good but not green enough for PtL.  Guri is probably the best one but her PS is low and tricking her out right makes her cost like Corran Horn and the viper really isn't that good.  Still, scum lacks a particularly good reposition ace, the closest one being a 56 point super dengar.

The Starviper is VERY survivable.  It can be very hard for a single ship to actually hit a Starviper and even harder for multiple ships to get a shot on one.  The Starviper IS NOT an Interceptor or an A-wing.  It is a fighter.  It takes the best of both the TIE Fighter and the X-wing and puts them together. 

The PS1 Starviper has a huge advantage.  It moves FIRST.  With a dial full of white and some good greens, it can place itself almost anywhere.  (Boost and BR add to this.)  The PS1 also know when to S-loop and not get blocked doing so.  It is an amazing blocker, and will often baffle opponents with the moves it can perform while stressed.  Sure the 1 turn is a White, but if you know nothing will be shooting at you (or if other fleet powers gives you a token/action) then the loss of an action isn't that bad.

What I think people have a hard time with for the Starviper is that they are used to good ships getting PTL...and the Starviper is bad with PTL.  That doesn't mean it's a bad ship, but it's flown differently than what you are used to.  So, people just think it's bad because they try throwing on default PTL and it doesn't work well.  

I also agree with Fickle and what he said about Xizor not being an arc dodger.  Most high PS ships you expect to dodge firing arcs with and without PTL, it's hard to do that.  You don't really want to do that with Xizor.  He's a knife fighter in the thick of it.  He's got the 1 sharp turn, Barrel Roll, and Boost for maneuverability, but it's not necessary to do two a turn.  He's got the FCS for the dice modification.  You just need to get people in firing arc and he's good.  

Guri doesn't want to be shot at, but with her free Focus ability, you can use your one action for movement.  Get her within R1 and she's got the free Focus.  Use either Lone Wolf or Sensor Jammer (or both) for her and she can be defensive, as well.  She doesn't need PTL.

THIS!  So much this!

The Starviper DOES NOT NEED, nor should it even equip, PTL.  Competitive players have become addicted to this EPT.   VI is a waste too.  This is a fighter.  It does not need to move last, and often moving first is preferable.  The goal to being successful with any of the games pure fighters (X-wings, TIE Fighter, etc.) is to force the action where it is most preferable to the fighter.  If a fighter is responding to the field, it has already lost.  The fighters should be forcing the opposing fleet to respond to them!

Just to elaborate on some stuff FGD mentioned upthread regarding Jumpmasters:

Xizor at Range 3 can Autothruster 1 hit, pass off one hit, and will probably get one success on the green dice. With a Focus, he can probably avoid all damage from a 4-hit attack. If he's got a "Draw Your Fire" buddy, you can really spread out the damage. It's just about the worst thing a Uboat can shoot at.

I love the Star Viper. The ship gets ignored all the time and I like to throw something with tractor beams with it to help it out.

Prince Xizor — StarViper 31 Adaptability 0 Fire-Control System 2 Inertial Dampeners 1 Guidance Chips 0 Virago 1 Ship Total: 35     4-LOM — G-1A Starfighter 27 Adaptability 0 Zuckuss 1 Tractor Beam 1 Mist Hunter 0 Ship Total: 29     Tel Trevura — JumpMaster 5000 30 Adaptability 0 Dengar 3 R4 Agromech 2 Inertial Dampeners 1 Ship Total: 36

Haven't hashed much out yet but:

Xizor and the Party Bus

Xizor: VI, Virago, FCS, ID, AT

Trandoshan Slaver: Bossk, Gunner, Zuckuss, ID

Binayre Pirate

Binayre Pirate

If only you'd been using Bossk as the pilot instead of as crew. Then you could have called in "Xizor and the Party Bossk" instead....

Okay, I'll show myself out, no need for the rotten fruit or the bouncer!

I just don't understand why some think the Starviper is over cost. I personally love the base PS1 Starviper. Add Autothrusters and they are hard to predict, can block, and hit hard. I like to fly two of them with a loaded Kath.

The down side of the Starviper is lack of EPT on genetics, and the added expense of the named pilots who can equip the title. If all starviper could equip a system, you'd see them all over the place. The dice can make or break the ship.

I agree that the ps1 starvipers are inerated. I flew a IG plus 2 viper squad at the Chicago regionals two years ago and went 4-2. The are hard to shake once they get in close. They also make great blockers, but at 25-27 points, using one of them as a blocker can take out a lot of your list for that turn unless they have another shot while they block

The down side of the Starviper is lack of EPT on genetics, and the added expense of the named pilots who can equip the title. If all starviper could equip a system, you'd see them all over the place. The dice can make or break the ship.

I agree that the ps1 starvipers are inerated. I flew a IG plus 2 viper squad at the Chicago regionals two years ago and went 4-2. The are hard to shake once they get in close. They also make great blockers, but at 25-27 points, using one of them as a blocker can take out a lot of your list for that turn unless they have another shot while they block

And that can be key, block but still have a shot your self.  In a three ship list, you want all guns firing each round.  Takes practice, but my Kath plus 2 Starvipers is my favorite list!

Friend of mine runs Xizor nearly every list. Forget the exact cards he usually brings but that little runt is usually the main threat and i pretty much have to b-line for his head or im in trouble.

That and the **** hawk that keeps nerfing one of my aces to ps0 :P

I ran a pretty fun Xizor and Dengar list today and won both my matches.

Xizor had VI, Title, FCS, Stims, AT.  Dengar had Pred, Title, R5P8, Gonk, Inertial, and a Hull-Up.

A cool 96 points.  Never did get to pass a damage off to Denny, who seemed to put in a lot of work.  Both ships flew very well together and took a lot of damage.  Xizor won the last game with one hull left after having run down an Aggressor, a Dash and a Poe in a three way match-up!  

When I think about what I would change I would swap the placement of the Illicits, but that's about it.  Maybe throw an Advanced Sensors on Xizor?