Polda

Polda's X-Wing Repaints - Image heavy

105 posts in this topic

What are you eating? Is that the secret to your success? Eating well? I mean, look at all those layers of color and detail, you can't just develop that talent by practice alone.

Maybe it's your brushes? A magic brush made from unicorn hair?

All of your work shown here from page one and on... it makes my liver quiver. 

In short: good job.

For the name, how about the Landslide? It has a dark, earthy color and the name implies that if you are up against it in a fight, that your chances are slim. Just a thought.

Edited by Force Majeure

Working on finishing touches in progress on a new YT-1300. 

Still going through name suggestions on reddit (leaning towards "Centennial Owl")

Zfb3lQd.jpg

This is an amazing work that you painted! The amount of detail you put into your miniatures makes me fell like I'm still a kindergartener using finger paint!

Your stuff is quite good Polda and I really like your latest, the 'Centennial Owl'. Brown is not terribly common for Star Wars ships and yet you've managed present a visual smorgasbord of differing brown hues on your 'Owl'. The cables/power conduits running all over the hull provides a good contrast and adds some much needed details. Thumbs up mate! 

One thing I do think you could improve is your photo setup. If possible you should have more lights and with a 'softer' shine so you don't get so many shadows. An even better scenario would be to have/build a lightbox. Of course, if you go down this route there is no end to how much money you can spend. I should know, I just recently spent $430 on some professional lights and tripods for my own photo setup and that was the cheap option. Even worse, I might very well have to spend half that amount on even more equipment!

Your stuff is quite good Polda and I really like your latest, the 'Centennial Owl'. Brown is not terribly common for Star Wars ships and yet you've managed present a visual smorgasbord of differing brown hues on your 'Owl'. The cables/power conduits running all over the hull provides a good contrast and adds some much needed details. Thumbs up mate! 

One thing I do think you could improve is your photo setup. If possible you should have more lights and with a 'softer' shine so you don't get so many shadows. An even better scenario would be to have/build a lightbox. Of course, if you go down this route there is no end to how much money you can spend. I should know, I just recently spent $430 on some professional lights and tripods for my own photo setup and that was the cheap option. Even worse, I might very well have to spend half that amount on even more equipment!

Thanks Macross :D regarding lighting, I burned out on photography some time ago so I have my gear (flashes, 60x60 cm softbox, stands, snoots, reflector boarda) sitting and waiting for a spark of inspiration while I light this with my desktop lamps ;).

I rolled it out for my Imperial Assault pictures during summer, but need to force myself to get back into it.

Edit: My proper setup (ring light as key and softbox as fill) I'll need to buy a craft foam sheet so that it has a nice smooth bend and does not wrinkle in storage 

y4nYW0d.jpg

HFMz3sN.jpg

Mla6mxh.jpg

RiJbQpw.jpg

jJw5P28.jpg

bfQ7yLX.jpg

Edited by Polda
ABXY, RuusMarev, Giledhil and 8 others like this

I will say this...I hate this ship. boring and the wings serve no realistic purpose. Its bugged me since I first laid eyes on it. BUT I'm absolutely astonished at how your work makes me want to buy one just to paint it. Excellent work again. This ship looks so sinister imposing now.

Stoneface and Polda like this

22 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Was it inspired by Boba Fett's color scheme? Looks good!

Not on purpose. I only realized once a friend of mine mentioned the same thing! :D 

Loving the new Repaints Polda..........but your U-wing stands out for me.

That blue looks Gorgeous !

Really makes the model pop, Well done.

All the best,

Barry. 

14 hours ago, Barry Harker said:

Loving the new Repaints Polda..........but your U-wing stands out for me.

That blue looks Gorgeous !

Really makes the model pop, Well done.

All the best,

Barry. 

Thank you. It looks a bit dull under weaker light source but it was a blast to make that. And surprisingly quick. 

In other news:
The Zergling TIE is done. Kekekekeke.
nfIC5rh.jpg DFUIiA3.jpg

MXMI7ah.jpg