Sign in to follow this  
Egghead Hobbies

Egghead Hobbies - The Descent Project

Greetings Descent players,

I recently launched a model building and miniature painting channel on YouTube and got a great suggestion to visit the FFG Forums and share the channel with everyone here. 

The startup channel is mainly focused on model making and miniature painting, and currently the main focus is a large project for Descent Second Edition. With over 230 of the miniatures for the game ready to be painted, this undertaking will cover the entire library of miniatures by showcasing groups of painted miniatures, spotlight videos on the occasional miniature of interest, and how-to videos along the way.

Here's my latest offering... the painting of the Bone Horrors:

I welcome everyone who's a fan of the game, as well as fans of miniature painting, to visit the channel and take a look. Feel free to leave comments with your questions and suggestions. I'm no master painter but I enjoy what I do and have already seen improvements in my skills, which I hope to see continue over the life of this project. Over time I feel the archived videos will range across various techniques and appeal to beginners and veterans alike. It may also inspire people to paint their own miniatures, or finish the task they may have already started.

In addition to the Descent project, a series of videos will be made covering the complete Star Wars: Imperial Assault miniature collection, as well as other game miniatures and Star Wars models and diorama projects.

I look forward to your input and and thank you for checking out Egghead Hobbies.

Edited by Egghead Hobbies

If I may be so bold to give a suggestion -  the reference material shows a kind of blue eldritch power or light emanating from inside the horror, so maybe a better way of painting it would have been to do an initial blue base coat, with several highlighting blue layers, and then painted the bones in a dark base followed by layering up lighter shades, so the finish article looks as though the aged bones are being held together by a magical force?

p.s. Why do you call it Egghead? It sounds a little as though only bald old men do this as a hobby...  :( 

Edited by palleon

Thanks Palleon, good idea.

I wasn't sure about doing the blue since that photo is outdated and I didn't know what the new art may look like. I also noticed there are a lot fewer bones on the one in the reference art too. There is a lot of new art popping up here and there for a lot of the old Descent First Edition minis that are getting converted over. The Naga look entirely different, the Shades and a few others as well. So I decided to err on the side of caution. But if it matters I did think about it before I started. 

P.S. I called it Egghead because that's been my nickname for years, my wife says an egghead is a nerd, a geek and a dork all rolled into one. And I'm not bald...  :)

Wow nice videos! I already suscribed, keep them coming!

I especially love the 3rd one, i am a sucker for tutorials.

How about doing some of the leiutenants? Their minis are awesome

Thanks Gonz,

Ask & you shall receive...I already have Skarn & Mirklace in progress on the table, so a video for each of them will be made in the near future.

Niiiiiiiiiiice!!! I forgot to ask, if you could show the paints used in the videos (as a prompt message or just a pic of the paint) that would be awesome. That way i could search for a citadel equivalent.

Thanks again and congratulations!

Greeting Descent fanatics!

I'm pleased to announce that The Descent Project - Episode 5 - Mirklace is now live on my YouTube channel! He came out amazing & I hope you like the final result.

Episode 6 will be out in the next week or so, and by popular demand it will feature the Elementals!

You can now follow Egghead Hobbies on Facebook & Twitter for in progress pictures and announcements such as video releases!

https://www.facebook.com/EggheadHobbies/

https://twitter.com/EggheadHobbies

Greetings Descent fanatics!

By popular demand, here is my take on the Elementals. After some trial & error these guys came out awesome, way better than I ever imagined. Hope you guys like them. Enjoy!

Now you can follow Egghead Hobbies on Facebook & Twitter!

Hey gang! In this video I tackle the Descent 2nd Edition Lieutenant miniature for Skarn. I thought I had him completed twice before I was really done, but all the extra work really paid off in the end (and caused the video to be completed much later than I had initially thought). This video is one of my longest yet, but this paint job had more work on any one single miniature than I have ever done before, so I think there's a correlation in there somewhere. Numerous colors of base coating leading into washes, drybrushes and highlighting almost made this guy complete, but then I chose to experiment with chipping fluid, and then experiment again with pigment powders.

Check it out and share your thoughts. Thanks everyone for all the continued support!

Hey gang, in this video I paint the Descent Second Edition miniature for the hero Ispher.

A simple miniature overall, I chose to put my focus into a nice 3 color gradient on the skin laid down with my airbrush, and then combined that with an intricate transparent dot pattern to achieve the mottled flesh effects. I think it came out well and am very pleased with the end result. Let me know what you think of Ispher. 

Thanks everyone for all the continued support!

Hey gang! In this video I paint the Ettins. These guys were not too difficult, but I found ways to make them more interesting by using blood splatter techniques on the giant turkey legs, umm... clubs, I meant clubs.   :P

I also played around with using pigment powder for mud & dirt effects on their hands, legs & the bottoms of their feet. I hope you guys like the way the Ettins turned out.

You can also follow Egghead Hobbies on Facebook & Twitter!

Edited by Egghead Hobbies

Hey Egghead (and other painters)!

I have a few questions for you regarding painting since you inspired me to step up my game:)

What are your opinions on the different paints out there? Is see that you started with Vallejo Game Air even though you used them for brushes too. Is the Vallejo Game Air Series a more versatile alternative? I am just curious why you chose that particular line instead of the e.g. Model Color or Game Color series.

Hopefully, you can provide me with some good consumer advice:)

Hey gang, it's that time again. Here's Episode 11 of The Descent Project and this time around it's The Giants!  

I thought these guys might be a bit boring to paint, but once I got past the base coating & into the washes & detailing I found myself enjoying the work and geeking out on all the little bits I could find to detail and accentuate.  Take a look and let me know what you think about my rendition of the Giants.

Become a Patron and  help support Egghead Hobbies:

Hey gang, in this video I finally get around to painting the Chaos Beasts from Descent Second Edition.

I've been looking forward to painting these guys for quite a while and finally got them on my desk.

Starting with a nice 4 color fade airbrushed on the skin I was able to move over to brushing in some great features like the glowing glossy eyes and the grotesque gnarly mouths.

Take a look and let me know what you think of my version of the Chaos Beasts!

Up next will be the Merriods, followed soon after by the Shadow Dragons, then a few heroes and a lieutenant.

Stay tuned and subscribe to catch all my videos when they come out.

In this video I paint the Merriods from Descent Second Edition. Sharks are one of my favorite animals on the planet, so I was naturally inclined to be excited to paint these guys. Aside from the skin there isn't a whole lot to these creatures, so I did a good amount of airbrush work and laid down a nice 3 color gradient for all the tones in their skin. Then finishing them off with a nice gory mouth these guys are as menacing as I'd hoped they'd be. Take a look and let me know your thoughts on how the Merriods turned out!