Sign in to follow this  
oriondean

is play by post the only way to play this game?

I would say the obvious answer to the question as posted is a resounding, No. I even would go so far as to say that most people who play this game do not play through posts. However, for some individuals there may not be alternatives readily available. This may be the case for you as well. However, as Kaosoe has already pointed out, you could try Roll20 for finding a game. You could also see if any of you FLGS would let you run the game there and post up a small sign asking for interested players to contact you. Perhaps there's none in your area currently because no one stepped up to take on the daunting task of GM, in which case you could be the one to change that. Similar to Roll20, Fantasy Grounds software has a ruleset for Edge of Empire (and by extension the other FFG Star Wars RPGs) and if you own or purchase this software you may be able to find players through their forums. 

While adding software recommendations, tabletop simulator is pretty awesome for FFGSWRPG as well :)

Though the easiest solution is just to post in your local community that you are either looking for a group or wanting to start one. The amount of books sold suggest that tons of players are  … well  …playing and for sure not mainly via pbp.

Edited by SEApocalypse

Get your own friends interested in it. If they don't bite, try putting up notices at ABU, All about Games or Phoenix Fire. At ABU on Fridays, people come in to play X-wing, so you might find some Star Wars nuts at around 7. There is always Reddit, do a post on the STARWARS RPG sub about lfp in Boise.

Be prepared to run it, sometimes wanting to play a system means you have to GM it.

Edited by Vulf

I'd side with all the others and say "if you build it, they will come!" Unfortunately (or fortunately?) this means that you have to GM, unless you are really good at convincing people that not only do they want to play a game but they would enjoy running it as well.

Failing that, roll20 and the other software mentioned gets you pretty close to an tabletop gaming group, minus the shared snacks and some of the camaraderie. I know my fiancee refuses to play DnD over roll20 because she enjoys having people over and sharing an experience more than the game itself. Hogwash to that; I've been running a roll20 game for close friends and family from all over for the past while and it's got most of all that plus a lot of nice bookkeeping/art abilities and the tools to carry out important conversations by typing (since we are all kind of nervous talking as our characters).

Of course, I'm a massive advocate of PbPs, but that's because I'm a writer almost as much as I am a gamer. I love being able to write out the scene and the dialogue and having to find justification and description for my mechanical actions and development. Plus a bunch of other stuff that would count as majorly digressing if I were to list. If you can't find anything, I'd say it's worth it to try out, so long as you're comfortable writing.

I'm also in Boise and need a group.  I've been trying to get some friends interested but no luck so far.

your hired! ill GM for the foreseeable future.

Get your own friends interested in it. If they don't bite, try putting up notices at ABU, All about Games or Phoenix Fire. At ABU on Fridays, people come in to play X-wing, so you might find some Star Wars nuts at around 7. There is always Reddit, do a post on the STARWARS RPG sub about lfp in Boise.

Be prepared to run it, sometimes wanting to play a system means you have to GM it.

sounds like you know your way around Boise! >: D  anyways your invited too if you want to play.  I'll try the friday night at 7 thing first. baldwookie, Vulf, I'll be the guy who is tall, blond haired, with glasses and an EOTE, F&D, and AOR stacked on the table, I will also be wearing a white hoodie that says "save yourself mammal! we will fend off the asteroids!"  see you may 27th.

Edited by oriondean

GMing Star Wars is much more fun than being the GM for say, Shadowrun.

Shadowrun is amazing. But, it's mostly amazing for the setting, I am willing to admit.

Also, and this makes me a bit sad, but in my SWRPG games, I include name brand items from time to time, and have on a few occasions given the group Shadowrum, and only my wife got the joke.

Edited by Comrade Cosmonaut

Adding to the "start one yourself" chorus, create a Meetup group yourself. You went looking for one and didn't find one, so how many others did the same? Create a group for people to find. :)

As you're doing, you'll probably start out as the GM, but once the ball gets rolling, you could conceivably have multiple campaigns going, each with their own GM, or you may be able to establish shared/rotating GM duties for the one campaign, which will allow you to play, as well. (That's the structure we'll be using for my upcoming campaign...I'll be the primary GM, with my wife - and any other players who'd like to try their hand at it - occasionally GMing.)

If you do start a Meetup group, don't feel overwhelmed if you get huge numbers joining the group. The Meetup group I'm part of has about 250 member...only about a dozen actually play, across six different campaigns. Several even RSVP for sessions and never show.

Well let us all know how it goes, will you?

shaved wookie showed up, which was great, we did some preliminary planning about what setting to run a campaign in and what systems to use (morality, obligation, or duty) and made some plans to recruit other players, I will be putting together a meetup group some time this week.

*baldwookie* sorry

Edited by oriondean

Well let us all know how it goes, will you?

shaved wookie showed up, which was great, we did some preliminary planning about what setting to run a campaign in and what systems to use (morality, obligation, or duty) and made some plans to recruit other players, I will be putting together a meetup group some time this week.

*baldwookie* sorry

And so it begins. Good luck in all your adventures to come.

Oriondean, I tried sending you a message but the system won't let me.  I don't know if you have any of the Beginner Games but I have them, if you want to start with one of them.

Also, I have found 2 coworkers who might show up on Friday.