Sign in to follow this  
Tobi_GER

idea: Squad updates

Hello x-wing people!

Some days ago I had an idea for a new x-wing game concept. I just want to share the idea here to get some feedback. Maybe the designers will like it as well and can do something cool!

The idea is a new type of upgrade card called "squadron upgrade". It is not assigned to a specific ship, but instead to any number of non-unique pilots (in small ships) with the same name. The upgrade card works for all of the ships, but the cost has to be paid only once. The idea is to boost some of the non-unique pilots, which do not see play yet. Therefore all squadron upgrades should have a pilot skill restriction (e.g. 3+ or 5+) or any other restrictions to avoid super swarms. I cannot remember any game in the last year, where I faced a non-unique ship with PS3+ except for Ties and Z's!

An example:

Super crazy dodgers

Select a non-unique pilot with a pilot skill 5 or higher. All your pilots with the same title gain:

If a ship in your fire arc attacks you, you might re-roll one defense die.

(with any costs which may fit to the ability)

Targets would be the PS5 phantom, PS6 tie interceptors and the PS5 scum ships. Basically cool ships, but the increased pilot skill is just a waste of points if you meet a PS8+ aces list, so they do not see play.

What do you think?

I like the idea. But that's because I am generally in favor of lists that include several ships of the same type, from a thematic standpoint. Even if it was something as simple as a 2-point card that reduced the cost of each ship of that type by 1 point, or something similar. So it isn't worth it unless you have 3+ ships of that particular type in your list. Again, I think it is a cool idea.

It's an idea that turns up a lot from time to time. The conclusion was that by increasing the power of particular lists they served to homogenise list building rather than diversify it, and thus defeated their own purpose.

Edited by Blue Five

It's an idea that turns up a lot from time to time. The conclusion was that by increasing the power of particular lists they served to homogenise list building rather than diversify it, and thus defeated their own purpose.

It's not going to lead to diversity within the list, but it could lead to diversity of lists seen.

When your threshold is to see non-unique ships with PS 3+ I believe you are setting the bar pretty high.  The BSP and GSP could both make that but each also offered EPT slots to make the ships far more ace like.  Beyond that what is the point for spending points on PS when the Aces will still crush you but there generally aren't enough low PS ships running around that spending a few more points on PS for your generics will be worth it.

The overall idea most likely won't fly, it reminds too many people of systems like 40K Formations or WarmaHordes Themed lists. The idea of limiting it to certain PS generics actually makes it almost worse- the benefit would have to be almost game-breaking to help out some of the higher PS generics (especially those without EPT). High points cost, non-EPT generics currently don't have a place in competitive and most casual X-wing lists for the most part, for a reason. The current FFG system of buffing underperforming by making new ship specific Titles or Mods hasn't really helped either, as you can simply places those buffs on the uniques or low PS filler ships. Having them create a PS cap/minimum for newer buffs might be a way to include the likes of Onyx Squad or Black Sun Vigo.

Problem is most non-unique (especially the lowest) already seen a decent amount of play. They are cheap so fielding many isn't an issue. The drawback is low PS (which can be played to a benefit) and no pilot ability. In essence what you are suggesting is a pilot ability for them all, and that just will break the hell out of most of the game. It would have been something that would have been possible if designed in from the very beginning, but this late to the party, I don't see any way to do it.

I think I just prefer a mode of play where you simply exclude all unique cards - though, that might leave no counters to the dreaded 3xJM5K* (such a shame they have an EPT, thus deem Deadeye unique for that mode).

Alternatively, allow just 1 unique from each class (Pilot, Title, Mod, EPT, etc.)

Edit: * Disclaimer - I don't have enough experience to know if this would be the case, but from what I've read here thus far, it's the only(?) power-list that doesn't seem to rely on at least one unique card.

Edited by ABXY