Sign in to follow this  
flyboymb

Which X-Wing characters do you think need a back story?

It's one of the neat things about Star Wars. From a handful of movies where characters may have gotten mere seconds of screen time came pages and pages of backstory to fill in all the blanks we'd ever want to know about. That guy wearing the gas mask that followed our heroes to the Falcon and blabbed to the Empire? Oh, that's Garindan. Everybody knows him. The rude silver protocol droid on Bespin? E-3P0. Total butt of a droid right? That unidentified Rodian with jacket? Well the lore doesn't cover everybody it seems.

And that's the topic of this post. Of the few characters on here that have no real background story to them, which would you like to see one created for?

I've got 2 personal favorites.

The first is "Genius". This droid just strikes me as the end result if Chopper blew a couple processing cores and had the brainpower of a Tandy computer. All the wacky antics without the common sense to not drop a proton bomb at point blank range. Heck, get those two together with R2-D2 and you'd probably have the astromech 3 Stooges.

Then there's "Echo". We know from the FAQs that she's a female pilot. Now, depending on whether the Mouse House decides to keep the Empire's prejudices in play in this brave new world of Star Wars lore, this lady has not only managed to enter the gentleman's club of the Imperial Navy, but a better than average pilot flying a fighter that unintentionally had a VERY limited production run. While having a good head on your shoulders and having a Grand Moff might get you an admiralty at the Maw Installation (we really need a Daala card in X-Wing or Armada FWIW), you could never get to the position of "Echo" or Juno Eclipse without a good deal of raw skill and luck (they all were Academy Pilots at some point). That right there deserves a story.

Anybody else have favorites with unknown backgrounds?

Regarding Echo, canonically there have always been female pilots/stormtroopers/officers in the Empire, so she's not worked her way into a gentleman's club, though you don't exactly get given a Tie Phantom without being one of the best **** pilots around.

Speaking of Tie Phantom pilots, Whisper's another one I'd like to see some background on. 

Plus, the generically-named aces from the episode 7 ships. We know Red/Blue Ace aren't Snap Wexley, Jess Pava, Ello Asty or Nien Nunb, since they all have pilot cards, so just who exactly are they?

Omega Leader I actually think the opposite of - keep some mystery as to just who can do these unholy things with a TIE/fo's targeting computer.

It's one of the neat things about Star Wars. From a handful of movies where characters may have gotten mere seconds of screen time came pages and pages of backstory to fill in all the blanks we'd ever want to know about. That guy wearing the gas mask that followed our heroes to the Falcon and blabbed to the Empire? Oh, that's Garindan. Everybody knows him. The rude silver protocol droid on Bespin? E-3P0. Total butt of a droid right? That unidentified Rodian with jacket? Well the lore doesn't cover everybody it seems.

And that's the topic of this post. Of the few characters on here that have no real background story to them, which would you like to see one created for?

I've got 2 personal favorites.

The first is "Genius". This droid just strikes me as the end result if Chopper blew a couple processing cores and had the brainpower of a Tandy computer. All the wacky antics without the common sense to not drop a proton bomb at point blank range. Heck, get those two together with R2-D2 and you'd probably have the astromech 3 Stooges.

Then there's "Echo". We know from the FAQs that she's a female pilot. Now, depending on whether the Mouse House decides to keep the Empire's prejudices in play in this brave new world of Star Wars lore, this lady has not only managed to enter the gentleman's club of the Imperial Navy, but a better than average pilot flying a fighter that unintentionally had a VERY limited production run. While having a good head on your shoulders and having a Grand Moff might get you an admiralty at the Maw Installation (we really need a Daala card in X-Wing or Armada FWIW), you could never get to the position of "Echo" or Juno Eclipse without a good deal of raw skill and luck (they all were Academy Pilots at some point). That right there deserves a story.

Anybody else have favorites with unknown backgrounds?

Whisper (who's a female pilot). More sources say Echo is a male then female (and I have a seething hate for affirmative action so I have to point this out everytime someone says Echo is female :lol:)

Poor TBC is a PS9 Scum pilot, but we never see him do anything.

Vessery was clearly written for a follow-up story that never happened.

Now, depending on whether the Mouse House decides to keep the Empire's prejudices in play in this brave new world of Star Wars lore, this lady has not only managed to enter the gentleman's club of the Imperial Navy, 

I'm sure you've noticed the female stormtroopers, Star Destroyer captains, pilots, analysts and admirals?

Whisper (who's a female pilot). More sources say Echo is a male then female

As far as I know, there's never been a gender specific pronoun used by FFG for Whisper so we have no idea what gender Whisper actually is.

However as you point out Echo is referred to as He/Him in 2 or 3 articles, and she in the FAQ.

Whisper (who's a female pilot). More sources say Echo is a male then female

As far as I know, there's never been a gender specific pronoun used by FFG for Whisper so we have no idea what gender Whisper actually is.

However as you point out Echo is referred to as He/Him in 2 or 3 articles, and she in the FAQ.

There actually was an article (I can't remember which one now) that used she for whisper, but on Echo imho, repeated use of he in several articles takes precedent over one use of she in the FAQ.

Kath Scarlet and Krassis Trelix barely have any story whatsoever, and it would be nice to see more of them.

There actually was an article (I can't remember which one now) that used she for whisper, but on Echo imho, repeated use of he in several articles takes precedent over one use of she in the FAQ.

I've never seen it and I've looked.  People here refer to Whisper as she, but there is nothing that's been published by FFG that I can find that uses any gender based word for Whisper.

Aha! It took me a while, but I wasn't crazy, they do identify her gender here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/26/the-grand-design/

It's not likely, but it's entirely possible for a Binayre Pirate to launch a single unmodified Range "1" attack at a cloaked "Whisper," roll two hits and a crit, catch her flat-footed and with nothing but blanks for defense, punch through her shields, land a Direct Hit!, and score a kill.

Deathrain Redline.

Redline: Might be nice to have something beyond him being a psychopathic commander of Black 8 squadron who replaced Eclipse. Not read the book he's in so I have no idea if there's all that much more. But then that's already quite a lot. Compare it with other semi developed generics like Howlrunner or Dark Curse.

I'd like to hear more about this Wedge Antilles guy.  I mean, he's in a couple Death Star runs in the movies, and then you never hear about him ever again.  Sure, he could never be interesting enough to, say, write an entire book or ten about him and his exploits, but at least a couple sentences mentioned in passing would be nice!

...in seriousness, though, I feel like a lot of the Imperial pilots need more backstory.  The vast majority of Rebel pilots are recognizable names, but many fewer of the Imps are (and the poor First Order pilots in the Force Awakens Core don't even get nicknames!)  Anything that can make the faceless masses of the Empire slightly less faceless would be a welcome addition.

Speaking of backstory, they should also make a better effort to get pilots' corresponding astromechs out.  I mean, when are we going to see cards for Whistler and Gate?

Given the fandom's penchant for creating backstories for everything, one has to wonder if there will ever be a story about the Gold Squadron pilot flying the Y-Wing with the crazy engine nacelles?

You mean the SWG alternate engine "star trekky" nacelles?

Dude, I made a ship like that into the single most feared fighter on Intrepid. Literally, not even exaggerating.

This is why I had no problem with the TFA ships "blue ace, red ace, omega leader etc".

In my head they all have their own names, ranks and backstories. FFG don't need to write that for me.

Edited by DariusAPB