Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Thing in the Depths is shipping now, by the way

What bugs me the most is when people pronounce Tolkien names as if they were in English:

Eregorn instead of Aragorn

Gendolf instead of Gandalf

Laygolas instead of Legolas

Dane instead of Dain, etc

Dain is pronounced as "dane". Otherwise, it does hurt my ears too, sometimes.

But English is beautiful language to me -- probably because it sounds (in general) so much better than my native tongue.

Edited by Fingolfin Fate

What bugs me the most is when people pronounce Tolkien names as if they were in English:

Dain is pronounced as "dane".

No. Dain is pronounced "Day-in".

Pretty sure it's "dine". The "ay" sound of the letter A in English is excluded from Tolkien languages, and instead it's the "ah" sound it has in most languages.

Same thing with Balin. If Dain was "Day-in" or "Dane", Balin would be "Bay-lin". But since it's "Bah-lin", we know it's also "Dah-in". Again, the "ay" sound of letter A is absent from Tolkien (or at least from Old Norse from which the dwarven names were taken).

Edited by Gizlivadi

Dain is pronounced as "dane".

No. Dain is pronounced "Day-in".

Nah, it's pronounced "I win"

What bugs me the most is when people   english speakers pronounce Tolkien names as if they were in English:

Corrected that for you ;) 

Again, the "ay" sound of letter A is absent from Tolkien (or at least from Old Norse from which the dwarven names were taken).

random fun fact: 

Gandalf was a dwarf as well norse mythology :)

What bugs me the most is when people   english speakers pronounce Tolkien names as if they were in English:

Corrected that for you  ;)

Again, the "ay" sound of letter A is absent from Tolkien (or at least from Old Norse from which the dwarven names were taken).

random fun fact: 

Gandalf was a dwarf as well norse mythology  :)

And the name meant "Staff-elf". Weird name for a Dwarf!

Edited by Gizlivadi

If Dain was "Day-in" or "Dane", Balin would be "Bay-lin".

They can't really be compared except for examining differences, not similarities. 

Dain is Day-in because of "ai" together.

Balin is Bah-in because there is the "l" in between the "a" and "i".  

At least that is my take on it.

Edited by Slothgodfather

If Dain was "Day-in" or "Dane", Balin would be "Bay-lin".

They can't really be compared except for examining differences, not similarities. 

Dain is Day-in because of "ai" together.

Balin is Bah-in because there is the "l" in between the "a" and "i".  

At least that is my take on it.

That's precisely what I was arguing. You say the vowels in Balin and Dáin are not comparable, but I'm saying they are. The fact that people pronounce "ai" differently from "ali" is precisely because they transport the English pronunciation of the diphthong "ai" to Tolkien (in this case Dwarvish) language, which is an incorrect assumption. We should not assume that the diphthong is pronounced in the English way for other languages. As far as I know, Dwarvish vowels (in this case A) don't have so many different sounds as they do in English (as in "cat" and "day"), but just one: "ah" (as in Balin or "rat"). In pretty much any other language (thinking of Greek, Italian and Spanish), the sounds of the vowels in Dain and Balin are both the same.

To put it simply, the fact that you say that "ai" and "ali" are pronounced differently is because you're thinking in English. In most European languages, the "l" in between is irrelevant to the sound of the vowels. 

Of course, I am ommitting the accent on the a, which does mess up the pronunciation. Master of Lore's article pretty much seals the deal, I was just saying people give Tolkien languages the rules of English, which they should not do.

I'll still be saying Dine though.

Edited by Gizlivadi

From that article: 

The only certainly wrong answer is the one used by the Dwarves in Peter Jackson’s Hobbit film adaption.  Dáin is not “Dane” as this ignores both Tolkien’s direction on diphthongs and acute accents, both of which apply to Mr. Ironfoot.  Apologies to an HBO stand-up comedian, you do not share a first name with the King Under the Mountain.

Pretty sure it's "dine". The "ay" sound of the letter A in English is excluded from Tolkien languages, and instead it's the "ah" sound it has in most languages.

Same thing with Balin. If Dain was "Day-in" or "Dane", Balin would be "Bay-lin". But since it's "Bah-lin", we know it's also "Dah-in". Again, the "ay" sound of letter A is absent from Tolkien (or at least from Old Norse from which the dwarven names were taken).

Well, I have to say (a bit shamefully) I go by the movies where it is pronounced in a way similar to "dane". Just as Thrain is "thrane". It is probably easy to look it up somewhere but I was assuming since they had all the linguists, they would not pronounce it wrong in the films… the guys behind those things looked very knowledgeable judging by the appendices in the LotR.

I'm glad we spent a page of comments on the pronunciation of Dain. The digression is real, folks. :-)

Anyway, I really wish I had time to treat all these new cards. I need to prove to myself that some of them are duds before I believe it. :-P

English is a terrible language.

I'm a native speaker and I hate it.

I'd say that French is way more difficult than English (et je parle par expérience, je suis Québécois)!

I agree ... (Et je parle aussi par expérience, je suis Français :D) !

Back to the cards for a moment.  With the way Master Ironsmith is worded, can he attach Weapon or Armor to a hero who isn't typically eligible for it?  Is his ability getting around play restrictions?   I think not, since it doesn't say put into play like Vilya does, but figured I'd for other opinions.

I don't think you can get around the restrictions on the card. They are static effects that specify restrictions on how it is attached rather than an ability to trigger when playing it. That's how I see it.

If, hypothetically, there were any weapons or armour that had limitations like Lembas or Ent Draught ("You can only play X if [condition]") then you could bypass those since you're not actually playing the attachment.

But no, you couldn't get round the "Attach to a [trait] hero" kind of restrictions.