Sign in to follow this  
J Viz

Autothrusters v Stealth Device

Hi all

I'm running 4 Green Squadron A-wings and can't decide between stealth devices or AT's with a 4pt bid, (could be useful against the PS3 u-boats).

I've done the math and it looks like a bit of a toss up. Unsurprisingly better with AT's when they can kick in and SD when they don't.

Has anyone run similar lists and found to be better than the other?

ATs all the way. It's situational, but the SD going away after a single hit kills it for me.

It costs 3 points. You know what else costs 3 points and goes away after 1 hit? Hull upgrade. But stealth increases your chances of not being hit, as long as you don't blank out and have the proper modifications. So it has a chance of increasing your evade results by 1 every turn. This can be viewed as a shield regen. Not sure why every one is so scared of it. However in this situation, I agree. ATs are better for a wings.

Hi all

I'm running 4 Green Squadron A-wings..........

I'd agree with the experts, AT's .....but up till a few days ago I was black and silver only pilot, so I like 'em both on red interceptors.

Question: how do you fly your A group? Swarm or singles?

Hi all

I'm running 4 Green Squadron A-wings..........

I'd agree with the experts, AT's .....but up till a few days ago I was black and silver only pilot, so I like 'em both on red interceptors.

Question: how do you fly your A group? Swarm or singles?

It depends really. If the opponent has ships that don't really scare me (e.g. ties) will go in formation for the first couple attacks to focus them down and break off. However, if it is something a little more scary I may start off split and see which was they go and get the one they go for out of harms way and flank with the others.

Even if I start in formation after a couple attacks I normally try to split off as don't really want to get bogged down in a fuzzball scenario as too much chance of bumping. I prefer to break off and come back again

It rather depends on your flying style and build. Autothrusters are consistent and will give you it's bonus for the longevity of the ship, but they won't always help. They do however give you a little bit more space to be offensive. Stealth Devices on the other hand requires you to fly defensively. You can't fly into the fray thinking your Stealth Device is going to save you, then you're on thin ice. Stealth Devices shine when you manage to split the opponent's fire between fully modified targets. Then it won't matter if they shoot a torpedo at you, you've got decent chances to evade it anyway. Once you've forced your opponent into disarray you'll be able to start hitting them with whatever you've got. If you're ready to work for your SDs they'll be great, if you want to be a bit more offensive and perhaps want to fly in formation then AT is the way to go.

ATs all the way. It's situational, but the SD going away after a single hit kills it for me.

It costs 3 points. You know what else costs 3 points and goes away after 1 hit? Hull upgrade. But stealth increases your chances of not being hit, as long as you don't blank out and have the proper modifications. So it has a chance of increasing your evade results by 1 every turn. This can be viewed as a shield regen. Not sure why every one is so scared of it. However in this situation, I agree. ATs are better for a wings.

When you do get hit, not only do you lose your SD but take a hit also. Effectively two damage for one hit.

I don't have a problem with SDs in general, but I'd rather have ATs if I can. One less point and can be used even after a single hit. Not that most ships that can equip ATs can survive a lot of hits, but that's neither here nor there. ATs may be more dependent on positioning than SDs, but usually a modification of a green die is better than trying to rely on more green dice. SDs are most useful, in my view, on ships that A- have high Agility but can't equip ATs (Regular TIEs, Unique Scyks, maybe Defenders) or B- those with high Agility that gain lots of modification tokens (Fel, Vader, Jake Farrel, etc...).

More green dice sound good until you roll 5 and blank out anyway..

Autothrusters are a concrete dice modifier that you can actually control through positioning. Stealth though relies on dumb luck. If you put yourself out of arc or at range there you KNOW they are active. Every time I roll green dice I expect them to fizzle. More of them just make my inevitable groan louder!

I still fly Lt. Blount in my Rebel Aces list just to remove SD. I also throw an Ion Pulse Missile on him to set up for a stronger attack.

Do you put Deadeye on him too?

No. Because I don't have that upgrade.

Edited by HistoryGuy

Do those A wings all have Prockets? I'm not sure what else would make a 24 pt A unless it's AT, Prockets, and Adaptability. I would drop the Prockets on all of them and add a fifth A and give them all some Crack. Chihuahuas!

All with PTL, Juke and AT's. Seems to work ok