Sign in to follow this  
BergerFett

A Humbling Experience - LI Regionals AARish

Hello Everyone.

I went to the Brothers Grim Regionals and I did horribly.  It was by far the worst showing I have had in an Armada event.  I learned a lot from this experience and have documented some of my thoughts on the below blog post.

I would like to give a big shout out to Stephen and Matt who didn't complain when all I did was say I was playing like **** and never acknowledging that they were playing on point.  I was super salty as those games started going downhill.  I was upset with myself because I know I can be better than what I was giving, and never acknowledged that you guys, both, made me pay for every mistake while making no mistakes yourself.

Hope you enjoy, and discuss.....

https://admiralbergerfett.wordpress.com/2016/05/20/a-humbling-experience/

Ouch. That's two bad matchups in a row. It reminds me of my feelings after Boston regionals where my mistakes and good play from my opponents totally devastated my fleet (I didn't make it to top 8 even with a bye).

As a side note, I think I played your round 2 opponent in my third round. This explains why he was so confident in the beginning and decided to push fire lanes on me instead of getting first player.

Ouch. That's two bad matchups in a row. It reminds me of my feelings after Boston regionals where my mistakes and good play from my opponents totally devastated my fleet (I didn't make it to top 8 even with a bye).

As a side note, I think I played your round 2 opponent in my third round. This explains why he was so confident in the beginning and decided to push fire lanes on me instead of getting first player.

yea the ackbar swirl is a horrible match up if i can not deploy in a way and get in front.  If i can get the ISD1 to ram and front barrage, while mottis isd2 flanks with all the squadrons, my list will usually chew a swirl up and spit it back out.  I deployed very poorly and didn't put myself in a position to force the head to head ramming.

Hello Everyone.

I went to the Brothers Grim Regionals and I did horribly.  It was by far the worst showing I have had in an Armada event.  I learned a lot from this experience and have documented some of my thoughts on the below blog post.

I would like to give a big shout out to Stephen and Matt who didn't complain when all I did was say I was playing like **** and never acknowledging that they were playing on point.  I was super salty as those games started going downhill.  I was upset with myself because I know I can be better than what I was giving, and never acknowledged that you guys, both, made me pay for every mistake while making no mistakes yourself.

Matt here, the Ackbar/guppy guy. 

No worries man, you should have seen the puss on my face in round 1 when two torpedo frigates of death wiped my MC80. Nothing better than getting reduced to speed 0 due to a crit card and being thumped. The only thing worse was my AF2 gunship just meandering around the board with nothing to shoot at. 

I think what threw you off was that I started my ships slow at the start, and used Nav tokens to speed them up so they would all meet around your Motti SD, while getting away quickly from your other ISD. I also took a big risk running those AF2's past your front arc, but it was to escape the other ISD, so in the end one big blast from an ISD front arc was better than having them smushed between the two of them from any angle. That and my MC80 Zigged when you thought I was going to Zag. 

I've also learned a healthy respect for rhymerballs in previous games, so one of my goals was to whittle it down before my fighters ate it, so it wouldn't have free reign to plink my ships to death in the later rounds. 

Hello Everyone.

No worries man, you should have seen the puss on my face in round 1 when two torpedo frigates of death wiped my MC80. Nothing better than getting reduced to speed 0 due to a crit card and being thumped. The only thing worse was my AF2 gunship just meandering around the board with nothing to shoot at. 

I think what threw you off was that I started my ships slow at the start, and used Nav tokens to speed them up so they would all meet around your Motti SD, while getting away quickly from your other ISD. I also took a big risk running those AF2's past your front arc, but it was to escape the other ISD, so in the end one big blast from an ISD front arc was better than having them smushed between the two of them from any angle. That and my MC80 Zigged when you thought I was going to Zag. 

I've also learned a healthy respect for rhymerballs in previous games, so one of my goals was to whittle it down before my fighters ate it, so it wouldn't have free reign to plink my ships to death in the later rounds. 

Yea it looked like I was able to split the fleet and take out the AF or 2 while losing the ISD in the center which is roughly a fair trade.  I should have not taken advanced gunnery, taken hyperspace assault and simply just speed 1/0 for a while until I could have dropped the ISD1 behind you.  It would have probably been riskier than Advanced gunnery but much cooler lol.  Also you have intel sweep?  I probably should have just played that knowing ill be down 75pts rather an advanced gunnery.  

Hello Everyone.

Yea it looked like I was able to split the fleet and take out the AF or 2 while losing the ISD in the center which is roughly a fair trade.  I should have not taken advanced gunnery, taken hyperspace assault and simply just speed 1/0 for a while until I could have dropped the ISD1 behind you.  It would have probably been riskier than Advanced gunnery but much cooler lol.  Also you have intel sweep?  I probably should have just played that knowing ill be down 75pts rather an advanced gunnery.  

Hyperspace assault allows the 2nd player, not the first to set aside 1 small/medium ship and up to 3 squadrons, not the 1st player. I had dangerous territory as my other choice, and while not as bad as advanced gunnery, basically allows me to ignore obstacles, giving me more freedom of maneuver. 

Much respect for sharing this after coming to terms with it. 

This is the stuff players can take away from more than a long winning streak.

/fistdab