Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

Solve This Situation: Corran vs. Ryad and Vessery in the Late Game

UP3doC9h.jpg

Corran is 49 points: Advanced Sensors, R2-D2, Push the Limit, Engine Upgrade. He has 1 shield and 2 hull left. Corran double-tapped the previous round, so he can't shoot.

Countess Ryad is below Corran. She has Push the Limit, X-7 title and a tie/Mk II mod. She has 2 hull left and the crit that reduces weapon damage by 1. Stressed.

Vessery is the other Defender: Tie/D title, adaptability(down to 5 to match Ryad), ion cannon. He is down 2 shields. Stressed.

Quickly traded a 50-point Chopper for Omega Leader while Corran ran away at the start. In a tourney there would be almost an hour left. Defenders have the win on points currently. If Corran kills either one he will have a mod win.

So where does Corran go?

Where do the defenders go?

What is the rebel plan long term?

What is the defender plan to pull out the win?

FAQ: If Corran gets tagged with ion he can't use advanced sensors that turn and doesn't regen. He is basically toast if this happens.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Corran loses unless the Imperial player screws up massively, but he might be able to take out Ryad if he's lucky.  I doubt it though.

As Imperial: Ryad 1-banks, aiming to block Corran if he tries to turn tight to starboard.  Locks Corran  Might be worth trying to clear the crit and PTLing for the lock but I doubt it, though the green k-turn makes it a lot more attractive as a prospect, so maybe do that.  Vessery k-turns (assuming it looks like it fits which I can't quite judge from the pic), stays stressed - he has shields, Corran's not THAT likely to be shooting him, and he gets mods from Ryad's lock if he's got arc.

As corran: I know all that and I'm moving last.  3 hard turn starboard (if it looks like it fits round the rock which I think it does) and boost/BR round behind the asteroid or ideally out of range entirely.  I can't get a shield regen without crashing into something or advanced sensoring to reposition first and I have no idea whether I'll be able to do that, I could k turn at the likely cost of my last shield, neither of which is attractive, so run away, try to clear some distance and get the extra die or a focus token, try again next round.  Hopefully avoid needing the second action so that I can k-turn next round.  Wonder why I don't have FCS instead of AdvSens.  Also why I didn't doubletap Vessery last round, unless I had done a doubletap the round before.

This is a situation where two of the pilots have some really strong points which bias the moves they choose, and both should ignore those points and do something different because they can get better positioning.

Overall though this is absolutely the Imperial player's game to lose.  Corran should be toast if the Imperial player doesn't screw up.

Good post, I like these little tactical discussions/puzzles.  Will have to try to do some of my own.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Ah, righto.

Then DEFINITELY slip the net and run away.  Probably for several rounds.

But as noted, I think Corran is toast here nonetheless.  If he goes for the regen he either bumps, rocks, or goes under both guns.  If he runs, he gets into a stern chase and can't turn round without losing regen.

don't plan on advanced sensors and just dial in a hard 3 right.  maybe you'll get lucky and they won't have a shot... and you won't have to ptl to turtle getting stress.  if vessery goes for a right bank blocking your turn, then you can AS and barrel roll right or left, denying the block.

I think Corran does fine this turn... if ryan doesn't go for the block but does a 4k, then you can barrel roll right and get to range 3 at least.

I think a 1-bank right from Ryad followed by an attempt to clear the crit and a target lock then a 4K from Vessery looks good. If Corran goes right he probably gets blocked or, at the very least, can't get out of Vessery's arc. If he goes left he probably bumps Vessery and he's headed towards a corner which isn't ideal. Even if he does squirm away in that direction Ryad is well-placed to follow up next round.

I think this situation looks bad for Corran. He can't regen this round and he can't afford to take the ion shot from Vessery either but killing Ryad isn't going to be easy from where he is and he really needs to do that to cut down on Vessery's damage output.

Vessery 4 K's and ryad goes 2 straight (to destress to acquire TL fo Vess) then its all over but the crying when green dice fail him and corran is Ion Locked.

i'd like to amend this to 4k's from both Defenders, and leave nothing up to chance. following turn probably a 4 straight or 3 bank from ryad and  either 3bank or turn from vess. it will lead to a turn without Vess' ability, but i feel it wont be too big of a deal.

Edited by Panic 217

I know it kind ruins the game by giving distances away but a range ruler along the length of the board would really help gauge distance in these little teasers Taste.

That being said, I'd 5 k the countess (if it fits. Nearest edge of Vess is about 3.5 base lengths from the countess by my best guess) and a 4 K from Vess. Even if corran can squirrel out of arcs your fairly likely to have both defenders on his tail from the next round. Corran can't both regen and run to optimal positioning from where he is so he's really got his work cut out for him here

I know it kind ruins the game by giving distances away but a range ruler along the length of the board would really help gauge distance in these little teasers Taste.

That being said, I'd 5 k the countess (if it fits. Nearest edge of Vess is about 3.5 base lengths from the countess by my best guess) and a 4 K from Vess. Even if corran can squirrel out of arcs your fairly likely to have both defenders on his tail from the next round. Corran can't both regen and run to optimal positioning from where he is so he's really got his work cut out for him here

This is what I expected him to do. It's what I would have done if I was the imp player.

Also Vessery is ps5, so he can just get out of the way.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Corran's best bet is to find a priest to perform his last rites.

The Empire should 4K Vessery and 5K Ryad. Corran probably can't afford to run over the rock, and doesn't want to get pointed toward the corner with ions flying around. So his most likely moves are all to the right--possibly a 2 bank for regen, but with the rock nearby I wouldn't bet against a turn maneuver. Vessery doesn't care about his stress token as long as Ryad picks up a TL, which she'll be able to do after her (green) 5K.

you know what, i completely forgot about ryad's ability..... i would even go as far to say a 3K would be fine for ryad. which seems like it owuld limit Horn to that AS hard turn to not get blocked and murdered. with the TL from ryad's green K vess will have no problem eliminating (shooting after ryad's shot to burn as many tokens is he had any) or at least ionizing Corran horn.

There's a crazy part of me that would have Corran try to do something to bump one of the TIEs so they can't shoot at me.

Trouble is you almost certainly get shot at by the other one, probably twice.

You might have some tokens for it, I guess.  BUt you end up with both Defenders behind you at that point.

There's a crazy part of me that would have Corran try to do something to bump one of the TIEs so they can't shoot at me.

I was thinking a left Barrel Roll followed by a straight 1 could probably bump a 4k Vessery, but Vessery's position might block the Barrel Roll in the first place. If so, Corran could avoid shots and get a shield, but he's still not in a great place.

Edited by Biophysical

4k Vessery then 5k countess with actions of try to clear crit, push to lock. Corran has no great way to counter those arcs and if he goes right then countess should be able to put arc on him wherever he goes next round too. Vessery just changes positions such that if Corran turns left and avoids getting shot this turn Vessery can just k again and still not get shot next round while having good arcs.

Since the game heavily favors the defenders currently they should take safe moves like big k's that Corran will have trouble punishing or shooting without a k of his own. Even though Corran has regen he's still in trouble in the long run and if he is ionized he dies the next turn so he's going to have to prioritize escaping Vessery over attacking most likely.

Personally I would dial in the 1 Forward with Corran. You know that Vessery is not going to be performing a right turn, as his 1 and 2 turns are red and the 3 turn will definately take him over the rock. He will most likely K-turn. The countess is either going to K-turn as well, or 3 Forward to throw out the block for Vessery and TL Corran. Because of this, you can either throw out the 1 forward and Advanced Sensors to Barrel Roll and Target Lock, then bump into Vessery and stay out of both ships arcs, gaining youself and action and a shield for next turn.

This is what I expected him to do. It's what I would have done if I was the imp player.

Also Vessery is ps5, so he can just get out of the way.

Ok, ok I shoulda read the post property the first time. No need to public shame me! :)

Personally I would dial in the 1 Forward with Corran. You know that Vessery is not going to be performing a right turn, as his 1 and 2 turns are red and the 3 turn will definately take him over the rock. He will most likely K-turn. The countess is either going to K-turn as well, or 3 Forward to throw out the block for Vessery and TL Corran. Because of this, you can either throw out the 1 forward and Advanced Sensors to Barrel Roll and Target Lock, then bump into Vessery and stay out of both ships arcs, gaining youself and action and a shield for next turn.

This is exactly what I planned to do. My dial was set to 1-forward. The defenders did not comply with my plan though.

If I were Corran, I'd try do to a 2 bank left...as long as I think I'd clear that asteroid.   That would clear the stress and give me a shield.  Then, I would probably Boost to get further around the asteroid (or BR if that's better).  I'd PTL to get a Focus if I'm in someone's arc.  I think this way is best because I'd expect the Tie Defenders to do their K-turn.  It would get me out of arc of that.  Even if the Countess did a bank, I'd be behind the asteroid.  If they both K-turn, then I'm out of both their arcs.  

If it looks like I can't get around the asteroid then I'd probably do a 5 straight over the asteroid.  Get out of the kill box now.   Set up for a green to clear stress and get a shield back.  Maybe get a chance to do another green for another shield, but you'll have to see how bad the Imperials bungled that.  If they are weak, it would be better to turn and get shots in.  

If I were the Imperial, then I'd K-turn with Vessery.  He doesn't have a lot else he can do that is effective.  As for the Countess, I would not do a K-turn as Corran might go left or over the asteroid and it would leave you with no shot and facing the wrong way.  I'd do a 2 straight green to clear stress, then BR back towards Corran and try to clear the critical with PTL.  The one danger is to block Corran from turning right.  I wouldn't expect it b/c he knows that Defenders can K-turn on white, but it's good to just make sure.  I wouldn't do a 1 bank because what if Corran shoots straight over the asteroid and bugs out?  If Countess does the 2 straight and BR back, then she is facing forward and can get a shot on Corran if he goes behind the asteroid or over it in a straight run.